The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Forum/LORE/IRC downtime this weekend  (Read 1304 times)

orth

Forum/LORE/IRC downtime this weekend
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »
Greetings everyone,

This weekend I'll be transferring the forums, LORE and IRC over to our new server. I'm going to begin late tomorrow night around 11PM Eastern. My plan is to move IRC over first to be able to use it as a tool to communicate the progress on the forums and LORE. I'll also be using Twitter to confirm progress of the migration.

LORE character updates may be temporarily broken when the transfer is moved over but will be remedied as soon as possible. I don't foresee a need to shut down the NWN server but it's possible it might be required in case I've forgotten something.

I expect the whole process to take between 4 to 6 hours but if everything goes well it may be sooner. Of course if I run into hitches it could also be longer.

DNS migration may also cause propagation issues but that's out of our control. Basically this means that when we change which server the web address forums.layonara.com points to it takes some time for the global system to be aware of this change. Hopefully it will propagate fast so there's no concerns on Saturday but if there are I'll provide some technical help to temporarily alleviate the issue.

I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.
-orth

The following users thanked this post: Juzzo, Dorax Windsmith, Nehetsrev, Masterjack, Alatriel, willhoff, RollinsCat, Pandapuff7

Juzzo

Re: Forum/LORE/IRC downtime this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
*Edits headers to hop count 255*

orth

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:41:39 pm »
UPDATE: 10:50PM Eastern - The forum and LORE are going down in 10 minutes.

orth

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:47 am »
UPDATE 1:44AM Eastern - The move has taken place fairly smoothly. There are a few small issues here and there, but nothing that should cause much issue.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:03 am »
Attempting to access the Gallery returns the following message:

I cannot connect to the PhotoPost database. [$php_errormsg]

mixafix

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:39:09 am »
nice one.

small note if related  - clicking on lance stargazer on forum - would normally bring up profile and chance to pm, returns that this person is not registered?

orth

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »
Both the photo gallery issue and the member profile bug have been fixed. Though I'm not really sure what to make of the latter, I've turned off SEO for the profile pages.

orth

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »
I've discovered that I've inadvertently transferred over some file system errors from the old server. This will require me to run a fix with the server which will require a reboot which I plan on doing in about an hour.

This outage shouldn't last more than half an hour and will affect the forums, lore and irc servers. It's best I get this done now before they escalate into more serious problems that could be a bigger hassle.

orth

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:12:49 am »
The entire migration of the server has been performed and appropriate back ups collected.

There may arise a few occasional issues that I hadn't considered but all of the tasks are completed.

garent.layonara.com shall be retired a little less than 5 years to the day of its birth, March 23 2007.

Welcome ronus.layonara.com I wonder what its role will be in another 5 years?

Script Wrecked

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:48 am »
"Awesome, sweet, excellent, amazing, gnarly, ace high, august, awesome, bang-up, ceremonious, cool, courtly, dignified, elevated, ..."

:)

anything