The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tech Update and a Request For Donations  (Read 2080 times)

orth

Tech Update and a Request For Donations
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:55:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've made my decision about server hosting and we're not going to see as much down time as I suspected. We do have to transfer the web/lore/forums/irc to a new server but I suspect that will only take a late night downtime of those services, I expect that will be taken care of some time in the last few days of February.  The NWN servers are going to stay as is and as far as I can think, they will not need any sort of downtime.

While I worked on cutting some costs with our host provider I decided to pay for an entire year for all our servers. This comes at a much bigger front end cost of course, but in doing so I save 10% for the full year. This means we're committed to at least another year of all of our servers.

Now I know we haven't had the Donation Tracker working. I was hoping that by creating a manual PayPal donation campaign then whoever donates can post a reply to this thread (unless they wish to be anonymous) and I will confirm their donation with my gratitude and a virtual hug. I'm not looking for any specific target dollar but if I could get back $500 over the year from the community it would be fantastic. There's no timeline for this, so if things are tight right now I understand, but every little bit, even $5 helps!

For convenience I've created links to pay in four different currencies, AUD, CAD, EUR and USD. There is an area on PayPal to add a personal message, please include your forum or character name so I know who's who.

Donate to Layonara in AUD

Donate to Layonara in CAD

Donate to Layonara in EUR

Donate to Layonara in USD

Thanks to everyone for helping and once this server migration is complete I look forward to working hard on the new community site.

Best wishes,
James

Serissa

Re: Tech Update and a Request For Donations
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:38 pm »
$50 from Serissa and Slithy Tove

Tanman

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »
$50 AUD here

The following users thanked this post: Filatus

Pseudonym

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »
$50 AUD here too. All the cool kids are doing it. Get on board.

davidhoff

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »
50 trues from Davidhoff and Willhoff....thanks for all the hard work given and fun you provide us!

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:04:12 pm »
$20 from the sisters = college ramen budget. :D

Honora

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
$50 pledged from Honora as soon as I revive my Paypal account :).

orth

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »
I just want to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the help the community has provided in this one short drive. Together with the donations listed and some whom I'm not sure wish to be anonymous or not we've made $541.66 (after exchange rates and paypal fees). Thank you ever so much with helping offset the costs.

In case you were curious, here is the entire breakdown of costs for the three servers for the next 12 months. They are all after taxes and discounts.

Forums/Lore/IRC/Web server = $1391.26
NWN Server (includes Windows license)= $1418.38
Developmental server and NWN quest server (includes Windows license) = $1418.38

Thanks to the community's generosity the costs for the four of us who help contribute to paying the server expense has been reduced to $76.80 a month each. If the community can help donate $326 more some time over the rest of the year than the costs to us will go down to $70 a month. Of course if you want to help beyond that, we would gladly accept :)

Again, thank you so much for helping ease the financial burden and joining together to keep things running without the stress of costs.

My best,
James

merlin34baseball

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:33 am »
Thank you.

From,

Merlin34
Teo
Mady

We'll see if the three of us can't drum up some Trues for you! I'll get those kids shoveling snow or something for Trues!

RollinsCat

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:32 am »
$50 from RollinsCat.

Chazzler

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:44:05 am »
$15 from Chazzler, don't spend it all at once! :)

Oh, and a FYI, had to donate in USD, since the EUR link takes to CAD section.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »
$10 from Shiff!  :)  Hope to send more in the future

Serissa

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:55 am »
Just a reminder to those who can afford it.  Sent donation.

cbnicholson

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:11 am »
$50 donated.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

cbnicholson

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:35 am »
After reviewing my checking account, cursing non bank atm fees and swearing never to use them again, I'm pretty sure I can afford this.  Another Fifty donated.;)   Merry Christmas Layo.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

anything