The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Wierd spell causes instant death  (Read 492 times)

orth

Wierd spell causes instant death
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »
Description: If an enemy wierd spell is cast on a player's character and that character has the protection from evil (spell) up, but does not have true sight (spell) up at the same time, then the result for said character is instant death with no saves (ie, will/fort).Location: anywhereVerified: This is a known bugReproducable: YesJust posting this to see if maybe Orth can do one of his fixes on it; also posting for those that would like to be warned/reminded about this bug.There are various threads regarding this...here's one: http://layonara.com/threads/1237492-unther-hardhammer-gp-1-experience-reimbursement-closedThanks,Davidhoff 

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, cbnicholson

Dorganath

There may very simply not be
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:05:39 pm »

There may very simply not be a "magic wand" to make this go away. This particular bug is old and not a factor of our code for the Weird spell as much as we can determine.

A long while back, I myself spent a lot of time fussing with this spell, trying to make it exactly fit descriptions and work around this particular quirk to no avail. The problem, if memory serves, lies with the nature of Protection vs. Good/Evil in combination with Save vs. Fear. and in how Bioware treats these two in combination which always results in a save failure without an apparent roll. This left us at the time with two options...to change how the spell was defined or write our own Save vs. Fear routine for this one special case. Neither of these were particularly appetizing options, particularly the latter one, as working around Bioware bugs can often be a lost cause and a poor use of limited resources.

DISCLAIMER: This was quite a few years ago, and my memory could be fuzzy. However, I am about 95% certain that the core reason for this lies with a bug in Bioware's handling of Save vs. Fear when Prot. vs. Good/Evil is in effect.

RECOMMENDATION: I'm not a fan of telling people to memorize spawns but be aware of this and either forego Prot. vs. Good/Evil OR be sure True Seeing is in effect any time creatures who might cast out Weird may be encountered.

Regardless of the outcome to this (i.e. orth and/or I having some major epiphany on how to elegantly work around this), thanks for bumping this back into consciousness. There's probably been a lot of communal memory loss over the last 6-7 years.

orth

This is a pretty complicated
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »

This is a pretty complicated issue involving a couple of things. First off, there is indeed a bug where the saving throw logic failed for some types where immunity existed. That has been fixed. 

With that said, Protection from Evil/Good was not supposed to be a viable immunity to Weird and never was the intention.

To work around this we've made the Weird saves to be against a special case of Fear where a save is still attempted but immunities are ignored.

So if by chance you don't have True Seeing you can still have an opportunity to make your Will or Fort saves instead of instant death and any additional bonuses you may have to your Fear saves will be considered in the calculation but immunity will not.

anything