The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: GM Ravemore  (Read 4554 times)

Ravemore

GM Ravemore
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:32:32 am »
I’m playing from the Eastern US time zone and I'm a returning GM. I was on the team back in 2011. I first started playing Layonara in 2006. I met a lot of really cool people here. I come from a long, long roleplaying background. Anyway, real life pulled me away with a cross country move for work, my master’s degree program, and later a cancer diagnosis for both my wife and I. We both beat it and I’m pushing 5 years now in the clear. The kids are grown up, graduated college, have good jobs, and are mostly on their own. I’ve been back to Layonara since last fall and I’m now ready to do some part time GM work. So… a little bit about my GM style.

1.) I enjoy putting together short impromptu quest sessions most. My ideal groups are smaller. I’m likely to limit participation to no more than 3-6 players. If I schedule a quest its usually “first come first serve.” I love dropping random monsters or encounters on players without formal quests. If you are in the Deep and start seeing weird stuff and it starts becoming much more difficult… A good bet is that I’m probably in the server.

2.) After I have had a fair amount of time re-learning the tools and lore I will run CDQ’s, but there are some caveats. Characters need to be below 10th level. You need to have a journal with enough material for me to work with. Although I will run Corath themed quests, I will not involve myself in ones affecting leadership positions in the church or other affiliated organizations. My main player character could potentially create conflicts (real or imagined.) If I get more than two pending CDQ’s I’ll shut myself off from more signups until further notice. It might be a long time too. I’m not keen on the idea of running them one after another continuously. For the time being I am closed, but I'm open to discussing future ones though now via PM's in Discord.

3.) Good RP will get you good XP… Excellent RP will get you excellent XP. No RP will get you a rust monster.

4.) Actions have consequences… some can be long lasting. Some might be awesome. Some might make you cry.

5.) I’m kind of picky about sleeping/resting. You don’t have to ask permission, but out in the wild places of the world, camps should be set up and night watches placed. Study your spell books, talk with each other a little bit, eat a little food, etc. In towns I don’t want to see you dropping in the middle of the busy street to rest. Find a place that makes sense.

6.) Loot should be split among all players at the end of the quest round-robin style. True should be evenly divided. No hiding or stealing… even if your class or alignment makes sense.

7.) Please have some patience with my use of mechanics and lore... it has been a long time since I have done this work.

8.) I reserve the right to make changes to this later.

The following users thanked this post: Chuckles_McChuck, Chazzler, Serissa, Lindel, eltalstroneves, Riven, Lily, davidhoff, willhoff

Ravemore

Re: GM Ravemore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 04:01:31 pm »
An Additional Note:

I will often incorporate what I call forum roleplay into my open quests. This takes the form of a Topic posted that IC actions and descriptions can be posted to. It is sort of an offline, turn based form of roleplay in between in-game quest sessions. It will often develop things or set the stage for the in-game action.

The following users thanked this post: Chuckles_McChuck, silverblades, miltonyorkcastle, eltalstroneves

anything