The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Greetings, and a Couple of Questions  (Read 152 times)

Gwrtheyrn

• View Profile
    Greetings, and a Couple of Questions
    « on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:45 pm »
    Greetings all!

Came across Layonara while looking for some new modules to play. Looks interesting, but before I jump in, I have two questions:

1) I'm stuck on a rather pathetic dial-up connection of 26.4 Kbps for at least a month, what are my odds of running Layonara somewhat smoothly?

2) I've got no real preference for races, classes, back stories, etc. Is there anything in particular the world needs more of?

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Greetings, and a Couple of Questions
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:26 pm »
    1)  I donno, but it could be rough  :(  This is a fairly big world and lots of cool stuff coded in, but I'll let some one more intellegent with Server stuff answer that

2)  EVIL!  but the cool kind.  But really, just make something you are comfy with first.  When you get a better feel for the world, then you might wanna make something more specific.  :)  Not cause its hard to explain, but I think getting to see the things IG first hand are better then a bunch of players saying "Make this, make that"....  BUt.....  Another Greatsword wielding Fighter/Weapon Master would be nice...  *innocent smile*

EDIT:  Yes, Evil has a time prereq here just so you can get used to the world first.  Same with Chaotic Neutral, but thats more to ensure the DMs the Player is responsible enough not to just go crazy with CN

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:47:18 pm »
    Hey, welcome - I can guess on your first question - you will have a great deal of trouble downloading the haks, so if you have any friends that can send them to you on CD, I would take that route. Otherwise, I play just fine on dial-up and my issues are the typical client ones. I had a great deal more trouble on a very very old system (video card, memory etc) that had DSL, much like when I had a few free months for EQ - unplayable on the high speed, just peachy on a newer computer with dial-up except for patches. Same with Rappelz and similar large download games...it's my computer setup that sets its playability most of the time. The stuff you need is mostly client side once you're in. I'd give it a shot if you can acquire the huge haks. Even just a buddy that can send overnight is better than trying to one-shot them from the site.

Edit - just to make Shiff's post clear, evil isn't submittable until after a player has gotten several months of play - it was only recently opened up on submission at all. :)

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:08 pm »
    Plusses and minuses, Gwrtheyrn:

Plus - NWN is one of the "lighter" games in terms of bandwidth usage, so it's quite possible that you'll be able to run it reasonably well.

Minus - with that kind of capacity, you're going to see your client lock up a lot when a bunch of people appear in a group, or if you run into a horse.

Minus - The hak files required for play are more than a gigabyte in size.  So we're talking about a 2-3 day download time.  I'd recommend getting out to an internet cafe with a USB key, if there's one handy.

As for races, classes, etc - well, here.  As you can see, we're suffering a bit of a gnome shortage, but don't let that limit your character choices! :)

And welcome, by the way.

Gwrtheyrn

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:58:34 pm »
      Thank you all for the quick and informative answers. I've access to a friend's high-speed connection, so I'll borrow that to get started. Good to know that's the main hurdle connection-wise. Having been on this connection for the last decade, except for time at college, I'm quite used to lags and lockups while gaming online.

Looks like it's time to get the ol' brain working on a character, I shall see you in-world (hopefully).

Script Wrecked

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:32:34 pm »
      Quote from: Gwrtheyrn
      1) I'm stuck on a rather pathetic dial-up connection of 26.4 Kbps for at least a month, what are my odds of running Layonara somewhat smoothly?

I have a 28.8kps connection speed. My character is generally last everywhere due to the time taken to load areas on each transition (up to 30 seconds sometimes, usually 5 to 10).

I also have to wait between the time I click to move somewhere, the time my character moves there, and then the synchronisation time when the action icon at the top left corner of the screen goes out.

Large groups are particularly bad, and also lots of spell visual effects. Apart from that, its manageable.

Not sure if 26.4kps might be too much though. This is an 8.33% degradation over 28.8kps.

Regards,

Script  Wrecked.