The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Hiya every boooooody~ Muti-class?  (Read 1263 times)

drakogear

Hiya every boooooody~ Muti-class?
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »
interesting, a game based from NWN but with its own LORE.

Now just need to think of a character to make.

Hmmm, no Black Guard so no LG Paladin to CE Black Guard ending in TN Fighter. Sorry, Character I had once in NWN. Mastering both light and dark. Being a true master of neutrality.

Hm, would a Paladin of Lucinda/wizard/Pale Master be doable or would he just lose his Paladin powers permanently? Never being able to be a Paladin again.

Or what of a Paladin of Rofirein/Wizard or Sorcerer/Red Dragon Disciple?

Did have a character thought for a Dark Elf Rouge/Assassin/Paladin. Only to to find out later Dark Elves can't be LG >:/

I know this game is big on its LORE and everything but I have my own views on good and evil. Nothing and no one are inherently evil. Its how only chooses to live there life. though that's just my own personal LORE.

I guess in a since one might say IRL/OOC I'm a TN :) I do like playing Neutral characters anyways.

Ravemore

Re: Hiya every boooooody~ Muti-class?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »
Welcome... If you have questions feel free to ask anyone. I know I'm safe saying we are all more than happy to lend a hand. :-)

drakogear

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
Well, I just did... Here. The three characters I mentioned are character ideas I've had wile reading through the LORE pages.

Not going to submit a character till I know what I can and can not make. I know Paladins are very restricted in multi-classing but if a Paladin did Multi-class to a class other than allowed by there deity. Would they lose there powers permanently or can they regain or retain there Paladin standings?

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:42:03 pm »
Hey, and welcome to Layo :-)
With your specific questions:
Paladin of Lucinda/wizard/Pale Master, well, a Paladin is LG, and a Pale Master cannot be good. So, while RP might take one down that road, one would lose Paladin powers.
Paladin of Rofirein/Wizard. In general, no. See [lore]Restricted Multiclassing[/lore]. Its possible that a wizard, through great RP at some length might eventually take paladin levels and abandon wizardly ways, but you can't alternate between them.
Sorcerer/Red Dragon Disciple. Absolutely! Just have to get to level 20, and then find a red dragon, and convince it to let you become its disciple ;-) More seriously, it is a possible path, but only by taking a [lore]world leaders[/lore] development quest (WLDQ).

Also, on a minor note "LORE" is the website, and stands for Layonara Online Reference Encyclopedia. "lore" is the people, places, things and stories that makes up the world.

Anyway, hope you find a character concept that suits you, and that you enjoy it here.

drakogear

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:50:32 pm »
Thanks for the clarification ycleption of Wizard/Paladin and yes I know Pale masters can't be good but the the RP story of my character that was for that would start as Paladin/Wizard (Lucinda allows) then fall to LN to become a Pale Master. My question on that was if he'll be able to become a paladin again if he returns to being LG

Link092

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:08:03 am »
Quote from: drakogear
Thanks for the clarification ycleption of Wizard/Paladin and yes I know Pale masters can't be good but the the RP story of my character that was for that would start as Paladin/Wizard (Lucinda allows) then fall to LN to become a Pale Master. My question on that was if he'll be able to become a paladin again if he returns to being LG

Not wanting to step on anyone's toes, please correct if I am wrong...

Being a paladin means to devout one's life to the service of their god, much like a cleric's. The only difference really, OOC, is that some gods "call" for a sect of paladins? (I'm struggling with some writers block with my own paladin atm, and tongued tied, so the wording may be off, heh)

So, diverging from the path of a paladin is putting your interests elsewhere. Even if it is to gain more power for the service of your PC's god, that is irrelevant to the deity him/herself, simply because THEY will provide you with the power (hence [LORE]paladin[/LORE] abilities). Once you step off, you have fallen from grace, thus losing all abilities granted by the PC's god. They may still receive benefit (such as resurrections, etc via cleric) for their worship, but is not enough to be deserving of their blessing via manifestation of powers. Now, should they fall from grace, they CAN go back onto teh path of the paladin, BUT:

1) no more levels can be taken in another class unless you get another CDQ, fall from grace, etc etc, which would be a hassle if you wanted to lvl once as pally, then lvl as PM.. you'd need to change alignment AND get re-innitiated into the order... let's face it, no one has mood swings THAT bad. plus the order would probably get fed up with your wishy-washy-ness and refuse altogether... this is not including failure of a CDQ.

2) There could be restrictions on how your character uses their powers etc etc. PM's manipulate the dead... well, that doesn't fit well with a ANY of paladin orders. Especially [LORE]Aeridin[/LORE] and [LORE]Toran[/LORE]...

Now, I'm not going into detail about how alignment fits in because quiet frankly, that is a completely new thread we'd need to dig up and not start anew.... :D

hope this helps, and GM's/Ed/L, please smack my upside the head if I misinterpreted anything

ycleption

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:22:55 am »
Bah... I had a long, lovely post typed up, and accidentally hit the reload button...

Short version: I would discourage trying to "plan" big things like alignment changes. They should be the result of things that happen to your character in game, since this is a role-playing world.

Things are taken on a case by case basis, so I wouldn't say no, it's absolutely impossible to atone and become a paladin again after falling... it would just take a whole lot of quality RP over a long long period of time, some CDQs, and even then there's a very strong possibility that your character would fail. And it would probably involve renouncing the pale master powers, so there would be little mechanical point in doing that kind of thing anyway.

Although I understand the appeal of outlandish builds, I would encourage you to try something simpler to start out with - or, if you want something unique, try playing a deity that isn't well represented in game (Goran, Grannoch, Deliar, Prunilla, and Shindaleria would be a few suggestions), or a less played sub-race, if you are looking for an RP challenge, and are willing to put some more thought and effort into the submission (gold dwarf, forest gnome, orc, sea elf, wemic).

Hope that helps.

Link092

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:25:14 am »
Quote from: Link092
PM's manipulate the dead... well, that doesn't fit well with a ANY of paladin orders. Especially [LORE]Aeridin[/LORE] and [LORE]Toran[/LORE]...

And with this, there is more info pertaining to how necromancy fits into Layonara. It isn't accepted by society in general and is even outlawed in domains falling under the law as layed out by Toran and Rofirein Orders

LORE: Law of Layonara

http://forums.layonara.com/azatta/198682-necromancy.html

http://forums.layonara.com/1076742-post6.html

Just a few... though LORE does not specifically state anything, Ed (who is the loremaster) has already established this.

Now, mind you, the laws of Toran and Rofirein may even be laughed at in some lands, it is still prevelant, from my understanding...

drakogear

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:59 am »
Well I understand all that but was just wondering if he would be able to return as a paladin but I suppose after falling and becoming a PM He would need to master that class level 10 atleast before returning to his paladin ways.

The story behind his fall in short is: Given a task by the paladin order to clear out an undead infested graveyard/catacombs and destroy the evil Lich that is making them. meets a band of traveling gypsies who offer to train him in the arcane. Suggesting he use necromancy to subvert the lichs vast army against him thus doing so inadvertently turns him into a PM. Master that then returns to the order seeking redemption.

added description after that: entire left arm (now skeletal) hidden from sight by a long shoulder cape. (many reasons. Mainly its touch can kill living)

Gulnyr

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:28 am »
Lucindite Paladins aren't paladiny Paladins, really.  They protect magic as a whole rather than charge forth to clobber evil.  That doesn't mean they can't clobber evil, just that that's not really the sort of thing Lucindite Paladins get ordered to do, unless said evil is breaking magic.

drakogear

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:49 am »
I know, the later in my last post need only apply to character submission but well... guess I got carried away:\

drakogear

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:35:24 am »
Quote from: Gulnyr
Lucindite Paladins aren't paladiny Paladins, really.  They protect magic as a whole rather than charge forth to clobber evil.  That doesn't mean they can't clobber evil, just that that's not really the sort of thing Lucindite Paladins get ordered to do, unless said evil is breaking magic.

Well, as stated necromancy is seen as evil and the lich is well... evil. raising an army of undead to destroy the world.

drakogear

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 12:37:59 am »
anyways think were starting to stroll off the main subject of this thread and I'd say my questions have been answers so... thanks every one.

Link092

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 12:39:34 am »
Oh, true that... Forgot about that... :/ Each paladin order kinda fits their own role... Lucinda's pally's = protectors of magic, Aeridin's = bane of the undead, and protector of life's sanctity, Rofie's = Upholders of justice and law, etc etc...

Sooo, might wanna look up each individual deity to see how the paladin class fits in their clergy... this will help you make the right choice... BUT! I'm pretty sure that if you choose Aeridin, you'll have a helluva time getting that going, plus any re-initiation after turning PM would most likely be nil... They might even try to exterminate you... :P

Gulnyr

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 12:42:00 am »
Right.  But necromancy is magic, and magic is Lucinda's thing.  Lucindites don't necessarily think necromancy is evil, even the Paladins.  Yeah, weird, I know.  So that's not really a problem for a Lucindite Paladin, see?    

The Toranites would be all over it, though.  You'd never find a big enough stick to beat all the Toranite Paladins away.

EDIT: Which just makes me agree with the suggestion above: try something simple first and get a feel for the world.  THEN work up a more complicated character.

Link092

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 12:44:22 am »
Quote from: Gulnyr

The Toranites would be all over it, though.  You'd never find a big enough stick to beat all the Toranite Paladins away.

tell me about it... >.> *tosses an animated bone at Lance and Dani, and runs like never before*

drakogear

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:55 am »
Quote from: ycleption
Bah... I had a long, lovely post typed up, and accidentally hit the reload button...

Short version: I would discourage trying to "plan" big things like alignment changes. They should be the result of things that happen to your character in game, since this is a role-playing world.

Things are taken on a case by case basis, so I wouldn't say no, it's absolutely impossible to atone and become a paladin again after falling... it would just take a whole lot of quality RP over a long long period of time, some CDQs, and even then there's a very strong possibility that your character would fail. And it would probably involve renouncing the pale master powers, so there would be little mechanical point in doing that kind of thing anyway.

Although I understand the appeal of outlandish builds, I would encourage you to try something simpler to start out with - or, if you want something unique, try playing a deity that isn't well represented in game (Goran, Grannoch, Deliar, Prunilla, and Shindaleria would be a few suggestions), or a less played sub-race, if you are looking for an RP challenge, and are willing to put some more thought and effort into the submission (gold dwarf, forest gnome, orc, sea elf, wemic).

Hope that helps.

Hey thanks again for that, did have another build in mind. One that wasn't paladin based.

CN Deep Dwarf Barbarian/Ranger/Battlerager

Though his story somewhat involved slightly altering his race. Being of the exiled for not being evil. He and the other exiled ones form together to make there own clan on the surface with one dominate rule. No Clansman is ever permitted to commit any acts of evil. There goal it lean to live differently than there evil brothers and sister in the deep. greed and raiding is still a factor but they never harm or kill any of the innocents. Guards on the other hand are fair game. That and there only permitted to take what they need to survive. Leaving any and all valuable save for food and furniture as well as weapons and armor.

Link092

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:16 am »
apologies... two of those links might be restricted... I forgot that I was a project writer... @_@

provided we have permission, perhaps we can relink those so that players have general access to that specific info?

AAAAND, to the topic... I think that combo of race/class/alignment fits perfectly well for the LORE... buuuuut... you haven't been an active member for 3 months...

drakogear

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:12 am »
Quote from: Link092
apologies... two of those links might be restricted... I forgot that I was a project writer... @_@

provided we have permission, perhaps we can relink those so that players have general access to that specific info?

AAAAND, to the topic... I think that combo of race/class/alignment fits perfectly well for the LORE... buuuuut... you haven't been an active member for 3 months...

yeah... I know... and that sucks. CN in my opinion is the best alignment for any Barbarian class. That and maybe CE but that's not allowed for PCs.

CG is but... blehhh... I ain't no goodie two shoes.

ycleption

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 01:06:43 am »
TN is still open - especially given you said you prefer neutral characters...

anything