The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Questions from a new player :)  (Read 189 times)

Questions from a new player :)
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:44:46 pm »
Hi, I've just returned to NWN after a 3 or 4 year hiatus. Back in those days I noticed Layonara but didn't really think I would have the time... well now years later I've come back.

My question(s) I suppose are deer-in-the-headlights style: I've downloaded everything (including the manual do-hickey) I haven't finished reading the history, but I'm a little eeked out by the amount of it. So my question goes like this how much of the world's history should I know before jumping on in?

The other question I had I seem to have forgotten.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Thak

bobby1361

Re: Questions from a new player :)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:53:35 pm »
I jumped in without knowing any of the history, apart for a bit about the elves.
So, i guess it doesn't really matter.

jan

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »
Use the parts that you need to create your character ( land of birth , places , follower of which God , what kind of character you want , the skills , and so on )

Then take your time to read what would interest you and your character :)

Enjoy

Tanman

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:41:17 pm »
While not necessary, knowing the history of Layonara and how diety relations work add flavour to your character and also to how other characters treat you and how you treat them.

VolcanosD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 06:21:13 pm »
i read just enough to create my basic character - the required reading.

then i got in game.

while IG i learned so much simply by chatting with people. i find i learned more about how layo works by rping with people than i could have imagined.

at the same time - to back up tanman - knowledge makes for fun playing.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 06:55:23 pm »
As a word from a Character Approver/GM - have a look at LORE, as well as the Handbook.  Some things have changed since V2 (when the handbook was released.)

As a quick rundown of the big'uns:
  • Early 1400s - Dragoncalled stopped coming.
  • 1402 - Pranzis fell to Lord Rael, one of Bloodstone's generals.  Now named Prantz, the city is under perpetual martial law, and worship of any deity but [lore]Sulterio[/lore] is forbidden.
  • 1402 - Sinthar Bloodstone is killed.  In the process, a large chunk of a mountain range is vaporized. This creates a nuclear winter effect that effectively blots out the sun for nearly twenty years.
  • Xantril and Rilara resume their old names of Belinara and Alindor, respectively.
  • 1422 - A group of heroes restore the sun to the sky, clearing the dust from the atmosphere at last.

For other details, check out LORE.  Start where it says "Start Here". :)

Oh, and after all that - welcome to Layonara!