The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Invasion Iowa  (Read 293 times)

Guardian 452

Invasion Iowa
« on: March 29, 2005, 10:00:00 am »
Watch the folks of my old home town get duped on national television.... hehe

Yep I grew up just 2 miles outside the small town of Riverside, Iowa. I went to Elementary school in Riverside and graduated from Highland High School (Riverside and another town Ainsworth combined)

I will be watching to see how many people I recognise and how silly they act.

G-452

Dorganath

RE: Invasion Iowa
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
I've heard this was coming for months.  What a great concept!  I just may check it out.

Deacon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
This is the thing with William Shatner right?  It looks pretty good, but I don't know if I'll be watching it.  I might catch an episode or two.

Guardian 452

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:04:00 am »
For those of you who dont know..... Riverside is the self proclaimed future birth place of Captain James T. Kirk.

Each summer Riverside has a Trek Fest (Beer Fest as most locals call it) with all kinds of trekkie junkies coming from all over.

http://www.spiketv.com/shows/series/index.jhtml?seriesID=13720&refID=invasioniowa

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »
One time my cat ate a tribble but it crawled its way back out onto my carpet after death.  Resilient little buggers.

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 08:32:00 pm »
Well let's see here.

Scott (Scotty) Riggan, His wife Carrol and I used to teach a line dancing class together. I started out taking her class but ended up helping her cause it was allot of fun (hey it was 1993 Line dancing was cool then so shush!)

My wife and I bought our first home (a mobile home) from Scott (Scotty) & Carrol.

Leanne Sexton,  My wife used to sell Mary Kay for her.

Wayne Simon - (bare with me here) My dads sister is married to Marvin Simon. Marvin Simon and Wayne Simons' dad (whose name illudes me) are brothers.

Those are the folks that I know from the show... I saw glimpses of others I know and am related to as well  ;)

I have eaten at Murphy's many times (used to be called "The Night Hawk") when the wife and I lived in Riverside.

I'm surious to know what anyone thought of the show.

G-452

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 09:21:00 pm »
Guardian 452 - 4/1/2005  10:32 PM
(hey it was 1993 Line dancing was cool then so shush!)

Dude....

Line dancing was NEVER cool...  :o

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 10:31:00 pm »
The part where Shat (Shane) was going to marry the woman was kinda... icky.... he's old enough to be her grandpa...and I got a kick out of the Destructomatrix (sp?) 3000 looking like 7of9 haha

Nice lightsabers...ehehehe, going to be interesting to see how the end of it pulls off.

lonnarin

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 10:33:00 pm »
I caught the pilot on my DVR, it's definitely the funniest reality TV show out there now.  I met Shatner here in Orlando a few years ago and yes, he really IS as concieted and "punch me in the face, I need it" as he appears in this series.  He can put back a bottle of Jack or any other bourbon in a blink though, and gets hilarously incoherent afterwards.

I think on of my highpoints in this town was him leaning over to me, pointing to knowhere in particular confiding in me... "You.... (long long pause where he gathers his thoughts)  Have issues...."  Some info for fans, if you talk to him about his writing in Tek War vs his acting, he'll stay twice as long.  If you instead buy the man a belt or 6 of the good stuff, he's a friend for life. ;)

I think the funniest part of the series is that while this tiny town is obsessed with him, he's really a diehard Canadian.  He admitted that the fast food joint he frequents the most is Tim Hortons coffee and donuts.  Although I met him at a 4 star steak house, he usually eats at small diners and java joints more than anything.

Buy the man a couple shots of whiskey, he'll recite you his past 5 autobiographies... guarunteed!  Good people.

Murgleys

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
    Perhaps he'll start singing songs from "his" album, "Has Been", now, instead of recitation.  I keep wondering when Galaxy Quest the Series will take off...