The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A Tiny Jennara  (Read 3666 times)

Gulnyr

A Tiny Jennara
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:56:07 pm »
Way back in 2011, I made a post about miniature painting and hoping to find a good mini to represent Jennara. Since then, a company called Hero Forge has become a thing. There, on their website, you can "sculpt" miniatures digitally from various parts and poses, and then (if you pay them) they will 3D print those miniatures and mail them to you. If you don't pay them, you can still play with the tools.I ordered a few Jennaras, a Gulnyr the Grim, and an Iri Ambercress!. So far, I have painted one Jennara:Jennara in her purple dress  Jennara in her purple dress from starboard side aftShe is not this big (assuming you're looking at this on a monitor that was born in this century). Here are some painting progress shots, one of which includes a penny for scale:Base CoatFirst ShadowThese are the base coat step and first shadow step, respectively, for the skin.First HighlightSecond HighlightAnd then the first and second highlight steps, respectively.Alive!T.I.N.Y.Then the eyes were painted and she came alive. And here's the penny for scale.Here are three of the miniatures I have yet to paint. They're dark grey plastic, so it's a little hard to see the details in this photo. They need a little cleanup to get rid of extra plastic from the 3D printing process, then priming and painting can begin. 

The following users thanked this post: twidget658, miltonyorkcastle, cbnicholson, willhoff

Alatriel

Fun!  I played around with
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »

Fun!  I played around with the Hero Forge thing and made up minis for several of my characters including Daniella, Viper, Zari, and my PnP character, but I haven't ordered any of them at this point.  Are you happy with the quality and which materials did you use for yours?  I know they had various upgrades and such, so just curious.  Thanks for sharing!

Acacea

Iri's axe and shield model
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »

Iri's axe and shield model looks very, "WOOO! Come at me, bro!" I can see it. *nods a few times*

I have fond memories of Early Jennara's Purple Dress, so yay! ...but once my mind decided Mini Jennara was raising her hand for a fist bump, I couldn't unsee it, so it has now changed my whole impression of Mini Jennara... sorry! 

I like Gulnyr's model but Acacea only met him like once, I think, so I primarily know of him through Cole's stories and a gallery pic that permanently ruinedaltered a song's lyrics for me long ago. Alas, with the death of gallery captions, the "cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a short fat man" context has disappeared... 

(I tried to make an Acacea on that site once and she looked like a deranged muppet. It was pretty tempting!)

((Edit, memory's? @#$#, keyboard?))

Gulnyr

These are printed in the beta
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »

These are printed in the beta grey plastic. They're similar in toughness to other hard plastic minis. They don't seem fragile -- at least, not any more than any tiny plastic thing. If you look really close, you can see a contour map-like pattern from the 3D printing, but it's invisible from normal viewing distance and didn't interfere with the painting at all. Here's a super-close-up where you can see the contours on her torso and arm:

Alatriel

Thanks!  That helps.  I may
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

Thanks!  That helps.  I may order a few as gifts for the holidays.  :)

silverblades

I remember painting hundreds
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »

I remember painting hundreds of miniatures back in the 80's and 90's. they were all cast lead. Nice to see a big improvement on this and that theres still a demand for these that a mfgr. would do this.

I also remember not needing glasses to see that close in order to paint them.

There can be only One.

Alatriel

silverblades wrote:  I also
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:50:01 pm »

Quote from: "silverblades"&cid="2761121"

I also remember not needing glasses to see that close in order to paint them.

Sucks getting old.  Ha!

lonnarin

Going to try an make one of
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:00 pm »

Going to try an make one of just me.  Not the D&D character, but a model for the dungeonmaster. :D

Acacea

I was just looking over the
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 03:12:03 pm »

I was just looking over the things they've added since the last time I looked and saw the cat base item! I love how it changes pose with you. Wish there was a dog. Danto would ride again... Also kind of a bummer that you can't rotate the other base items around, the lantern and skull and stack of books and stuff just sitting at the back looks weird. 

*petitions for belt-of-many-keys*

Acacea

Haha! I call it, "please
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »

Haha! I call it, "please don't feed the animals" or "you can't have my supper" *shifty*

Edit: And here we have the WerechickenBird Lord showing his friends the egg he just laid! Okay, I'm done, sorry.

twidget658

I had to make one with Ami
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:12:15 am »

I had to make one with Ami and her fireball. She got in a lot of trouble with that spell. Well, Thunderclap too, but no graphic for that one.

Gulnyr

I've finished two more: a
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:53:52 pm »

I've finished two more: a more mature Jennara and an Iri Ambercress!.

It is on!

Braid

Mundri taught me this!Multipass!

Not super satisfied with the cuts in the shield. The metal rim dents looks fine (they look like dents, but they're just paint), but the wood is a little off somehow. Shouldn't have been quite so parallel, either.

Gulnyr the Grim is coming along.

Chuckles_McChuck

After seing this I made a
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »

After seing this I made a before and after of Lia for fun.

I call the first one "Condescension" and the second "Aren't you taking your dislike for my flute playing a bit too far?"