The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 584 times)

Hellblazer

« on: December 27, 2009, 12:36:22 am »
Heya all, don't know who went to see that movie, but I did. I personally think its a great movie that combines quite eloquently cg and traditional film making. I may not recommend it for young kids, as it has some heavy themes to it. But if you have teen that like animation movies.. it is well worth the money.

Happy holidays all.

lonnarin

Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:06:49 pm »
I loved it, as it was so visually stunning it was much like a trip to Disney.  They really take the viewer to a whole other world witht heir imaginative landscapes, flora and fauna looking much like coral reefs with fiber optic-like bioluminescence. The only down side for me was that the acting could have been a bit better and the story was a direct parallel to Dances with Wolves or Last of the Mohicans; Evil Colonialist comes to untamed lands to conquer the innocent and noble savage.  Despite that, I loved how the battle scense reminded me of Warhammer 40k: Space Marines vs. Tau Kroot Legion.  There is no doubt in my mind that the creators of this film logged copious amounts of Dawn of War play time.  Everything remained truly alien in this film, from every living tree, floating mountain, right down to the Helicopter-like little dragonflies, space monsters and thunderbirds.  Best Sci-Fi in a long long time.  Reminded me a bit of The Dark Crystal in its imaginative approach.

Even if it wasn't in 3D, the visuals would still have blown me away.

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:00:25 pm »
I think the acting wasn't that bad. The part where the leader dies (wont say much more) is really well acted I think.

Dezza

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:32:32 am »
Saw it, Loved it, truly appreciated the cinematic flow and the melding of reality with computer animations was the best I have seen to date.

Bring on Virtual reality where we can be in the movie! 10-15 years I understand before we can do that.

In terms of underlying themes it feels like a lot of Mayan and other older cultural and spiritual belief systems were utilised.

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:59 am »
I saw it myself and deemed it "Awesome!"  All the things I was going to say about it have already been said.  Definitely one to recommend seeing.

cbnicholson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:04:28 pm »
Just saw it yesterday..I'd heartily recommend it, worth your movie buck. :)
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Verideth

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »
Well remeber this was James Cameron. He made Aliens. Talking about a space marine movie.

The flying APC fortress in Avatar was almost an exact duplicate of the APC in Aliens.

He still has it to be sure.

"Yago on a scale of 1 to 10, you are an eleven" Aladdin 1992

Link092

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:50:21 pm »
Heh, I went and saw it twice in 3d... from my understanding, there are gonna be two sequels...

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:58:34 pm »
Comign from Cameron that doesn't surprise me one bit! :D

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:45 am »
The graphics programmer side of me was especially impressed by the skin rendering. I don't think anyone has done skin quite like that before. That and the facial animations. I heard that rather than just motion capture body movements (the black suit with white ping pong balls glued on at key spots) they also motion captured the facial motions of their actors (that were then replaced on screen by the animated characters).

Warchild214

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:39 am »
by far the most amazing movie I ever saw in 3D..  planning on going again

this movie will set the mark for all others to top in terms of graphics...cant wait till the sequals

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »
Worth the movie buck. Certainly not the best movie I've ever seen, but it was fun, and visually astounding in 3D.

Link092

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:04:02 pm »
the actors wore headgear with motion capture capabilities rigged to watch their faces at all times during the acting, and were told to "act naturally" with their speech. kinda cool...

Makashi

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »
I was actually a bit disappointed in the story really, but the visuals were worth the watch alone.

Shiokara

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:59:39 pm »
It has to be said:

Do you think we could get the Na'vi to join the druid hierarchy?

James Cameron stole our lore.

Xaltotun

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 06:03:56 pm »
Not much to add to the other comments here other than, go and see it. This movie is a genre buster and will become a classic of it's type.

I actually did enjoy the story, even though it was not a new theme, and the visuals - wow, blown away by James Cameron yet again.

May even go back and see it again.

Nuff said.

A-Wizzle

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »
I haven't seen it, but two words:

sea. elves.