The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Darkstorme's Word of the Day  (Read 5258 times)

darkstorme

Darkstorme's Word of the Day
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »
This is a new feature I'm trying out... we'll see if I can keep it up.  

The basic idea is that, like the calendars you can buy at mall kiosks, I'm going to offer up a word per day.  These words are useful ones that are underused, misspelled, wrongfully employed, or otherwise abused - in a fantasy setting.  I will attempt to disambiguate, enlighten, and expand upon their uses, for entertainment and (perhaps) their future use in Layonaran RP! :)

Or I'll get bored.  We'll see.

Today, however, we're starting with a nice easy one:

Nock

Not to be confused with knock, or Knock, a nock (or to nock) is of particular interest to all you archers out there.

Like knock, nock can be used as both a noun and a verb.  The noun refers to the slit on the butt end of the arrow into which the bowstring fits.  The verb, naturally, refers primarily to the action of fitting an arrow to that bowstring, slotting the string into the nock.

It can also refer to scoring or marking a surface, but that usage has fallen into near-deprecation.

Edit: I should also note that nock is a transitive verb - you cannot simply nock - you must nock something.

Usage:
  • Settling comfortably into the crook of the tree, the Ranger nocked an arrow, her eyes on the path below.
  • Nothing was in sight, but the scout was still quick to nock an arrow, warily peering into the misted darkness ahead.
References:

Pseudonym

Re: Darkstorme's Word of the Day
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53:12 pm »
Do 'deity' next!

Please.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »
Today's word (sorry Pseudo, already had it planned out):

Rime

A homonym of "rhyme", rime has two meanings, one related to its brother-in-pronunciation, the other related to ice, storms, and weather.  (Misties and spell-workers, take note!)

The first meaning is linguistic, and refers to the second sound of a syllable - the one that rhymes, neatly enough.  So "at" out of "cat", "ay" out of "way", and so forth.

The second, and far cooler (no pun intended) meaning is ice accumulated on a surface either through deposition or rapid cooling.  Something can be said to be "rimed with frost", or to have acquired a rime of ice.

This is often seen on the interior of old freezers, where ice deposits on the walls (and which occasionally need to be defrosted), or on seashores in the dead of winter, where spray from the still-liquid ocean freezes solid on contact with the frigid rocks of shore.

In Layonara - we have Cones of Cold, we have cold auras, and we have weapons that drip frost.  Thus:

Usage:
  • She drew her longsword, Frostbite, from its sheath.  The blade acquired a rime almost instantly in the humid air, and she could feel the cold radiating from the blade, a welcome touch of chill in the jungle heat.
  • As the giant lunged towards the wizard, the man simply smiled and held up his hand.  Blue light flashed and icy cold howled out from his palm.  The giant slowed, and stopped, his ugly features rimed with white frost.  He stood, statue-still, for a moment, then the figure tipped slowly forward and smashed on the stone, no trace of heat left.
  • The priestess stood on the wind-whipped cliff-face, the snowstorm swirling around her, the rocks around her rimed with ice.
References:

Marswipp

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »
What about today's?
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

darkstorme

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:13:09 am »
Today's word (we'll get to deity, Pseudo, don't worry):

Cauterize

This one sprang from yesterday's link twixt rime and icy weapons; I thought to myself, But Darkstorme, - I call myself by my forum name in my head.  It's a problem. - we have flaming weapons too!

So, cauterization is a process that largely predates conventional antiseptic medicine.  It was (and to a degree, remains today) a means of stopping excessive bleeding by trauma (usually heat) to the veins, arteries, and surrounding tissue, inducing clotting at the expense of tissue damage.  It can also be inadvertent, rather than deliberate, as when someone is cut badly by a red-hot weapon. ;)

The term can also refer to the removal of an unwanted growth (a tumour, a wart, or some similar lesion), and in modern medicine, this is usually accomplished through the application of extreme cold, by the application of electricity (electrocautery) and caustic chemicals (chemocautery); it is unlikely, however, that these terms would be applicable in Layonara.

(One of the more common uses of the older form of cauterization - though often performed with a laser - in modern medicine is nasal cauterization as a way to stop chronic nose bleeds by removing the exposed blood vessel responsible for the bleeds.  It is reportedly quite painful.)

Usage:
  • The glowing blade swept through the dark elf's leg.  The elf screamed and collapsed, clutching the stump, but there was no blood; the wound had been cauterized by the red-hot metal.
  • The young dwarf, already white-faced from loss of blood, watched in trepidation as the medic approached with an iron hot from the fire.  "This'll 'urt a bit, lad." said the medic, proffering a leather strap.  The warrior bit hard into the strap and tears gathered at the corners of his eyes as the medic pressed the iron against the stump where once his hand had been, cauterizing the wound.  The pain was excruciating... but the bleeding had stopped.
References:
Still in under the wire; it's been a long and busy day!  Tomorrow, the Cleric series. :)

Pseudonym

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:50:51 am »
If you're going to start spelling like an American ('ize' instead of 'ise') I am going to have to start to question the legitimacy of this thread as an authoriative source!

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:48:12 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym
If you're going to start spelling like an American ('ize' instead of 'ise') I am going to have to start to question the legitimacy of this thread as an authoriative source!

Did you mean "authoritative"?

;)

Pseudonym

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:28 am »
No, I meant you have a small pee pee. Ok, sorry, that was my auto-retort kicking in ... yeah, I missed a couple of 't's. Gimme a break, it has been a long day. :P

Quote from: Nehetsrev
Did you mean "authoritative"?

;)

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 01:10:17 am »
Today's word (smart-alec Aussies aside) is for clerics, Paladins, and Champions everywhere:

Piety

Piety is (conventionally) sacred or spiritual devotion.  It can also be used in a pejorative sense to describe someone giving lip service to devotion - ie. a person who goes through the motions of prayer and devotion without truly meaning it.  This is often referred to as false piety.

A person who is possessed of piety is said to be pious.  In real life, religions hold this to be a virtue, though an individual can be pious and still be insufferably sanctimonious (eg. Toranites. ;) )

Less commonly, the term can be used to describe a religious or sacred act - a piety - or devotion to one's family - filial piety.

The antonym, impiety, describes a host of actions ranging from disrespect or irreverence towards a god to outright blasphemy.

Usage:
  • Daniella Stormhaven, in addition to her other virtues, was noted for her exceptional piety by the other clergy.
  • The priest of Corath was fervently pious - every day, at the stroke of midnight, one could hear the screams from the altar chamber.
References:

Masterjack

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:18:17 am »
Could you do pejorative next because I have never heard that word before. Oh and keep this up, I love increasing my word knowledge.

Also if you keep this up you may be able to topple Dorg as the leader in being thanked on the forums :) http://forums.layonara.com/just-fun/118482-catching-up-dorg.html

darkstorme

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:15 pm »
Since it isn't likely to be something that will come up in RP, Masterjack - pejorative means expressing disapproval, contempt, or distaste.  A word taken in the pejorative sense is usually a criticism or insult.  

Continuing with the Cleric series (not to be confused with this Cleric series):

Obeisance

Now, this particular word (pronounced oh-bay-sense) can be of use to religious types, but also to soldiers and people who are from suspiciously island-country-like locales.

To show obeisance to something or someone is to show them great respect and obedience.  This makes perfect sense for a cleric/paladin/champion to their god or goddess, but it also works for a venerated or powerful figure.  Interestingly, the salutes used by military organizations are also known as obeisances - which makes sense, as they're usually meant as a show of respect for a superior officer.

To be obeisant (similar derivation, naturally) is to be obedient and respectful.

Usage:
  • The pilgrims made obeisances before the altar of Toran before seeking the aid of the head cleric.
  • The priest of Sulterio showed his obeisance by making himself prostrate before the high priest.
  • The supplicant to the lord of the realm made obeisance to the noble, bowing low with his eyes downcast.
Reference:

darkstorme

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »
For all those fallen Paladins, ex-Clerics and disgraced Champions out there (and those still of the faith who wish to denigrate them)...

Apostasy

Apostasy is the abandonment (and sometimes active criticism of and action against) one's faith, either for another or for none at all.  The term is seldom used by those practicing apostasy (apostates), as it is usually meant to be denigrating.  It is occasionally employed neutrally by third parties.

Apostasy can also mean the abandonment of a political cause or other belief, but this use has fallen out of favour, and the word is almost never used except in a religious context.

Apostasy shouldn't be confused with heresy - heretics believe they are still members of the faith (some believe they are the only true members of a faith), and still practice a recognizable version of it, with certain interpretations or practices changed.

Usage:
  • The apostate, still screaming defiance, was dragged away by the Prantzian guards.  He was never seen again.
  • Some Aeridinite clerics still shake their heads in sadness when reminded of the apostasy of Lex'or Gravedigger.
References:

darkstorme

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 02:11:00 am »
And in the same vein:

Ecclesiastic

Now, in part, I like this word because of the lovely sounds involved in its pronunciation.  (It's pronounced ih-klee-zee-as-tick, by the way.)  But it also provides a welcome variation from "cleric", "clergyman", or "priest".  Because that's what it means - a member of the clergy.

Slightly more familiar might be the word "ecclesiastical" - that is, something pertaining to the church or clergy.  Certainly any particularly organized religion (or its PC adherents) could make good use of this adjective.

In our world, the word is derived from the ancient greek word for "assembly", which was eventually co-opted to mean "church".

Usage:
  • Few folks who met Hal even thought he was an ecclesiastic - fewer still knew that the holy symbol that hung beneath his tunic was that of Corath.
  • The priest groaned as yet another stack of parchment was placed before him.  He hated having to deal with the temple budget, when he could be out righting wrongs!  Even so, ecclesiastical responsibilities are important too, he reminded himself, and set to work with a will.
References:

darkstorme

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 02:13:37 am »
Almost done with Cleric Week - for which I'm sure some Australian types will be very happy. ;)

Today's word:
Profane

Another lovely multi-purpose word - in this case, the word "profane" can be used as an adjective, a verb, or a noun!

Born as an adjective, profane originally meant "not of the church" (from the Latin, literally, "outside the temple").  While this is still technically correct, that meaning has been more or less entirely eclipsed by its more modern meaning - that which actively flies in the face of a church or spirituality.  So something that is unholy, blasphemous, sacrilegious, or that in some way violates the sanctity of a church can be said to be profane.  Some religions (for example, the Church of Corath) would likely revel in profane acts as they apply to the Good religions (or belief systems) of the world.

As a verb, "to profane" is an o'erarching word that subsumes "to blaspheme", "to desecrate", "to violate" - effectively, to profane something holy or good is to violate it in some manner.  To smear blood across the altar of a Good god.  To slaughter innocents in Toran's name.  To salt the earth in a druid's grove.  To otherwise misuse, mistreat, or pervert the use of something.

Finally, as a noun, "the profane" refer to people or things that are profane.  Tricky to use, but a blistering epithet when spat from the mouth of a righteous member of the clergy.

Profanity (cursing) derives from this because most of the really good curses, historically, have been blasphemous.  For Christians (and a number of other religions), taking their god's name in vain is a common and varied curse that stretches back to well before Shakespeare, though the Bard immortalized any number of such profanities in his works.  Speaking for myself, I know a few particularly vicious words in Quebecois french that are derived from the strong religious background of the region - which were easier to get away with in high school.  *chuckles*

Usage:
  • The priestess of Aeridin nudged open the door to the temple and gagged on the charnel house stench, her eyes widening in horror.  The sight was profane, with bodies lying about - even draped over the altar - and the undead lurching through the carnage.
  • The deep dwarven smith brought his hammer down - squarely on his own thumb.  "Sulterio's blazing Forge!" he hissed through gritted teeth.  A noise behind him spun him around, and he paled to see a Deep Smith who had just entered the smithy.  "Ye dare profane His name?", the dwarf demanded, raising a very heavy adamantine warhammer.  And then darkness reigned.
  • Firwyl, priest of Pyrtechon, was disgusted.  Everywhere, new construction, new building, and elves and men and dwarves breeding.  The profane had no conception of the Destroyer's great work, the purity of a world wiped clean by fire.  But he would show them.  Oh yes.
References:

darkstorme

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 02:31:18 am »
One more day to go...

Asceticism

Asceticism is effectively self-denial as a spiritual discipline.  The idea that to be closer to the divine, one must abstain from worldly indulgences.  This can manifest as a complete denunciation of all worldly goods, subsistence on only the most basic foods, or abstention from other... ahem... physical activities.

This is an uncommon trait in Dungeons and Dragons characters in general, and in Layonara's patheon in particular - there are very few religions which explicitly encourage ascetics.  That being said, if one were going to choose a class as an ascetic, the Monk is it.  Few classes can do as well without equipment.  Certainly one could see a Voraxite monk leading an ascetic life in an effort to experience the purity of battle.  A Toranite monk could take a vow of poverty in her asceticism, donating all that she earns or finds to the poor.  Even a Xeenite could be an ascetic, forswearing worldly pleasures as a means of pleasure through unending self-denial.

Usage:
  • The monks who lived north of Gi practiced strictest asceticism ; none owned anything - their blankets and their robes belonged to the monastery and returned to it when they died.  The only item of value was the sword that was kept in a place of reverence in the center chamber.
  • All the children in the slums knew Gandelt, the ascetic and hermit, who would come to town every so often.  He would tell the children stories or give them toys he'd fashioned from wood.  He never asked for anything in exchange, claiming always that "Toran will provide."  Nevertheless, if someone offered him a loaf of bread, as they always would, he would thank them graciously.
References:

darkstorme

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 02:31:18 am »
And to close out Cleric Week, because he asked so nicely...

Deity

A god or goddess.  Pronounced dee-a-tee on both sides of the pond.

In a popular RL religion where the leader wears a funny white hat and is surrounded by men named after birds wearing funny red hats, deity can also mean the state or nature of the particular deity they worship, or the property that makes that deity divine.

The adjective, meaning divine or godlike, is deific.

Usage:
  • Toran is a deity in Layonara.  (What?  You expected something more?)
  • Surrounded by powerful magic auras and spellfire, the mage looked positively deific.
References:

Pseudonym

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 02:31:18 am »
Diety

A food that is not quite diet, only diet-y.  Pronounced die-a-tee on both sides of the pond.

In a popular fantasy game it is a word that is used waaa-aaay too much. Commonly used instead of deity, it is a word that yields 0 dictionary results and instead the suggestion 'did you mean deity?'. Yes, you did!

The adjective, meaning suitable for consumption with a weight-reduction diet, is dietic-y.

Usage:
  • I said Toran is a diety in Layonara ... but I meant to say he is a deity.
  • Do you want the full calorie beverage? No, I think i'll have the diety one.
References:

Unknown User

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:32 am »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
               View Post

Diety

*dies laughing*

darkstorme

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:32 am »
A common source of confusion among treasure hunters...

Hoard

Another word that serves as multiple parts of speech, hoard is both a verb and a noun.  As a noun, it means a collection (often large) of items (often treasure).

As a verb, it means the process of collecting things (not necessarily treasure).  A person can hoard any sort of item, though items of some utility are more usually the object of the verb.

The important thing for the adventurer on the go is to remember that this is not the same as a horde.  A horde is a large group of something (usually something animate).  A good rule of thumb for adventurers: You'd like a dragon's hoard, but you wouldn't like a horde of dragons.

Usage:
  • The thief's eyes sparkled as the lock clicked and the door swung open upon the treasure room.  The pirates' hoard was even bigger than she'd imagined!
  • In preparation for his next adventure, Kell was hoarding healing potions.  It's not like he meant to leap in front of bolts... they just always seemed to wind up through him.
  • Out of breath, Andrew bolted through the jungle, leaping over fallen logs.  He was sure the legend had spoken of a pygmy hoard on the island, but he just kept running into pygmies, and no treasure at all!

References:

darkstorme

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:29:00 am »
An apropos word:

Hiatus

A word that has several meanings, hiatus can be useful in general conversation, whether in-game or in real life.  (And, frankly, I like how it sounds - but we'll come to that.)

The first and most common definition of hiatus is a pause or suspension, a break in the flow of something, be it a scheduled series of events, a conversation, or a continuous term.  Another similar but distinct definition refers to a break in an object - an interruption in a carved pattern, perhaps, or a section of a manuscript lost to water damage.

The hiatus is also a linguistic term, referring to the pronunciation of two adjacent vowels as separate syllables.  The word hiatus (high-ay-tus) itself contains a hiatus in the first and second syllables, and thus illustrates the phenomenon neatly.

Usage:
  • In losing track of time, the GM turned aspiring educator caused a brief hiatus in his daily posts.
  • The Folianite cleric took a hiatus from his travels with his adventuring colleagues to commune with his deity.
References: