The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 362 times)

orth

Nostalgia
« on: June 27, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
Circa 1989 Nintendo

In olden days of yore, the realm of Alefgard was cloaked in darkness. According to legend, a brave warrior, Erdrick, brought light back to the land by defeating an evil being.  He used the Ball of Light bequeathed to him by a friend to drive off the enemies of Alefgard.  He then gave the Ball of Light to King Lorik, who unified Alefgard.  The land was at peace for many generations.  In the time of King Lorik XVI, the Ball of Light were stolen from Tantegel Castle by the evil Dragonlord, and once again the Kingdom of Alefgard was plunged into darkness.  Many travelers fell prey to the merciless fangs of monsters, and the beautiful was transformed into poisonous swamps that hindered travelers.  It was also rumored that several Towns and Villages were destroyed; wiped off the face of the land by Ghosts & Dragons.

16 Years Ago! Holy cow! Ring a bell anyone? *smiles*

lonnarin

RE: Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
1989 Nintendo, I think the system was released in 87 so this would be one of the EARLY early games.

It mentioned Ghosts and Dragons, so I'm going to guess it's a quote from Ghosts and Goblins?  My next guess is Faxanadu. ;)
Both games rocked anyhow; I miss the good old-fashioned 2D action/rpg format.

BTW: the best game music in all of history was written for Castlevania.  That soundtrack runs through my head 24/7 no matter what I do to counteract it.  The Final Fantasy composer during #2 and #6 comes a close second. (not jazzy enough!)

orth

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
Aww nope, sorry Lonnarin :D.

vgn

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:14:00 pm »
Sounds like DragonWarrior to me.

KageKeeper

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Yup. It is Dragon Warrior I do believe. *smiles*

darkwulf365

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:35:00 am »
You might know this one...might not.  My copy came in a 3 pack, with (seemed huge at the time) 3 720k 3.5" floppys, and about 6 full length manuals for the 3 games.  This is a small excerpt from the manual of the first game in the series (hard copy long gone, thank god for Acrobat Reader :) )  Phlan was the first great city of the Moonsea, reaching its peak some thousands of years ago.  In those days, the Moonsea was better known as the Dragon Sea, named for the large numbers of great Wyrms that inhabited that area and the regions to the north.  The Barren River was then called the Stojanow, a dwarvish word meaning "Trade Route," for it was down this passage the ore-laden barges floated, bound for the sout.  Early Phlan was a trading outpost on the north shore of the Moonsea, set up to facilitate trade between the Elves of Myth Drannor (the most powerful elven capital of the time) and the tribes of Thar, Vaasa, and the Ride, as well as the Dragonspine Dwarves.  I will say, this game was considered old when I bought it, sometime in the early/mid nineties...so think back hard :)

Thunder Pants

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:42:00 am »
sounds like the old DnD gold box games and judging by the dragon references i'm going to guess the 3 games were Champians of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, and Dark Queen of Krynn

hmmm upon thinking about it it could also be Might and Magic 1, 2, and 3 , which were a great games too hehe

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 03:22:00 am »
I read the word Erdrick and the lightbulb sprang up.  Dragon Warrior!

Wow... 16 years ago?  Man...  

I remember when I first got that game actually.  I subscribed to Nintendo Power at the time, and it was time for me to do my resubscription and they sent me a thing in the mail that said "Resubscribe now and get Dragon Warrior and the Dragon Warrior Strategy guide FREE!"

Obviously I was very receptive to their offer... that's crazy though, really doesn't seem like 16 years...

Ah well.  It was right around this time too that the four warriors of light began their search for the orbs...

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 03:25:00 am »
Oh, and for the the record the "Final Fantasy composer"  is Nobuo Umaetsu.  The man is my hero.  I've always loved my video games, but when you can mesh video game with music as well as he did, well it becomes crack, and I sir, am an addict.

Ever since I turned Final Fantasy on, and the crystal theme started playing, I was hooked.  I remember I used to start new games just so I could listen to the music as you cross the bridge.  It's the first musical thing that ever made me want to persue music.

darkwulf365

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 09:03:00 am »
Close enough, I guess *g*.  They are gold box games, but you're one sieries too late, Pool of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Secret of the Silver Blades (that one was overshadowed by Pool of Darkness)

Polak76

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 11:31:00 pm »
Damn those boxed sets used to be fun.  However of all the RP games of old, none captured me like Ultima 4 on sega master.  $80.00 back then was HUGE.  But A friend and I went halves and it took us a wole year to complete.  Damn fine game!!!

Dangladoo

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
    /sigh

I remember waiting until the next of the SSI gold box series came out when I was in jr high/ high school.. back in the good ole days of playing PnP with my friends and their parents! (go banana sword (+2 longsword +4 vs gorillas))

Dangladoo