The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Pseudonym's random recommendations  (Read 260 times)

Pseudonym

Pseudonym's random recommendations
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »
You know, there I was, contemplating what a good choice I had made in renting that movie from the DVD store when it occurred to me ... yes Pseudo, you -do- have good taste and judgment. Share your gift. Help other that cannot help themselves. Yes, generous of nature as I am, I shall be your rudder through the treacherous waters of the DVD store/library/itunes website/whatever.

And so, here I present some things I have encountered, that I enjoyed, that I recommend to others.

The following users thanked this post: Stephen_Zuckerman

Dezza

Re: Pseudonym's random recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »
hmmm nothing then hey?

Pseudonym

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
In Bruges. Not a big Colin Farrell fan but one of the best movies I have seen in months (regardless of his presence).

Pseudonym

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:32:22 pm »
Quote from: Dezza
hmmm nothing then hey?

My post was 2 minutes before yours. Slow down, take your time, enjoy the thread. Read and savour. Don't be in such a rush for gratification. :P

s0ulz

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:38:45 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym
In Bruges. Not a big Colin Farrell fan but one of the best movies I have seen in months (regardless of his presence).

I'm not going to rob you of your precious spotlight Pseud (I know you love it), but I'll just say that In Bruges was a big disappointment for me. I anticipated something much greater, but given, I'm something of a movie enthusiast. It's definitely worth watching, but in general, not keeping.

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:24:08 am »
    I enjoyed it for after all its got 'freakin midgets!'

Assassins + midgets = win?

Chazzler

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:03 am »
    Not to steal the spotlight either, but I just felt the irresistible urge to recommend the newest Coen -brothers film, Burn After Reading, to all and everyone.
    Dark humour has never been so fun!

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:27:30 am »
      They are the guys who produced Oh Brother Where art thou & No country for old men right?

I loved those films (the type of film you avoid because of the title and then end up liking; I always thought I was more of an action person till then)

*Edit* We are stealing Pseudonym's thunder here! :D

Pseudonym

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:04:14 am »
      Watchmen.

Best superhero movie since Batman & Robin. Okay, the B & R bit is a joke but Watchmen was awesome.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:26:29 am »
      Batman and Robin is the campiest, corniest, crappiest super hero movie EVER!

Link092

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:48:19 pm »
      Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
      Batman and Robin is the campiest, corniest, crappiest super hero movie EVER!

Holey rusted metal, Batman! The ground. It's all metal. It's full of holes. You know, holey. - Robin

or better yet...

The opposite of a girl is a boy! - Robin

------------------

Planting a timebomb in a local library is a felony. - Batman

It's sometimes difficult to think clearly when you're strapped to a printing press. - Batman

-----------------

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
      Batman: "Easily."
      Robin: "Easily."
      Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
      Robin: "Thank you."
      Batman: "You're welcome."

Catwoman: "Let noone say that Catwoman is not the best-dressed woman in the world."
      Batman: "There are no fashion shows where you're going, Catwoman."
      Robin: "And how could a feline feloness like you also be a fashion model?"
      Batman: "Ah-ah. Give credit where credit is due, Robin. She may be evil, but she is attractive. You'll know more about that in a couple of years."

Batman: "What took you so long, Batgirl?"
      Batgirl: "Rush hour traffic, plus all the lights were against me. And you wouldn't want me to speed, would you?"
      Robin: "Your good driving habits almost cost us our lives!"
      Batman: "Rules are rules, Robin. But you do have a point."

Pseudonym

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 04:27:12 am »
      Books by Joe Abercrombie, an English author that has been around on the scene for a couple of years but whom I have only just discovered. Cool stuff.

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:41:53 am »
      Watchmen.

Best superhero movie since Batman & Robin. Okay, the B & R bit is a joke but Watchmen was awesome.

It was awesome.  Made me want to dig up the oldies and reread them.  As a huge comic buff, I also prescribe Marvel's Deadpool, House of M, Cival War, Punisher Maxx series as well as everything Garth Ennis ever wrote.  I'm such a comic nerd, I have copies of every Predator crossover known to man, Predator vs. Alien, Tarzan, Superman & Batman, Superman vs. Terminator, Robocop vs. Terminator, Superman & Batman Vs. Aliens & Predator, Justice League vs. Predator, Green Lantern vs. Aliens, Ash vs. Marvel Zombies... I've seen it all.  The madness of CBR and PDF, whuuuuaaaahhh!!!

Pseudonym

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 06:51:43 pm »
      Does anyone else measure the worth of what they are doing on any given evening by what they might otherwise have been doing on Layo? Sometimes it's not even a conscious comparison but for me it is still there, growing over the years.

Anyways, if Watchmen was worth missing a 400,000xp yielding quest where you found the +6-to-every-attribute-belt-of-Godliness and reading Joe Abercrombie was worth missing a 200,000xp Belinara adventure then ...

X-Men: Wolverine is where you're on for two hours, have some so-so RP, earn 10,000xp and die at the end (but don't lose a SS) and ...

Knowing is where you fail 367 consecutive crafting attempts when you're at 90% success rate losing all your emeralds and then die and perm ... due to lag.

s0ulz

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 01:32:52 am »

Knowing is where you fail 367 consecutive crafting attempts when you're at 90% success rate losing all your emeralds and then die and perm ... due to lag.

Knowing actually had a decent premise, but it got screwed up bad. However what was done very well in movie were the disaster scenes. Especially the "airplane crashing to the ground and people on fire" bit, since I watched 10 hours before flying to Rome, where 24 hours later we had an earthquake...

Pseudonym

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 03:11:54 am »
      I think the two great disaster scenes only added to my disappointment. Halfway through the film I was thinking, "This ain't half bad" but by the end my thinking had changed to, "This piece of **** is worse than Highlander 2".

LordCove

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 03:26:52 pm »
      It's rare I watch a film and am pleasantly surprised.
      Especially if I assume its going to be rubbish.

So here:

The Mist  ( Fear the ending!! )
      YouTube - The Mist Trailer (FINAL)

Vantage Point
      YouTube - Vantage Point International Trailer

Hellblazer

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »
      I loved the mist myself, vantage point was a pretty good movie too.

I went to see both terminator 4 and startrek a few days ago.. very good movies.

I liked x-men origins: Wolverin so I don't know why you give it a low rating this way, but not all have the same tastes.

scifibarbie

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
      I have to say i loved how the mist ended. Movies never end like that, its all disneyfied for us so we feel warm and fuzzy. :mad:

Oh, and  too bad mrs. carmody didnt get eaten by a bug, that would have been even better. O.o

And In Bruges....F*&*^ Bruges...

If you saw it...you get it. ;)

I was so disappointed in wolverine...gotta make it for the kiddies i suppose. THe best part of the film was the fight with the blob. 8)

Okay..i need my nap. Im ranting about things again. :)

scifibarbie

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 04:16:17 pm »
      Oh yeah..almost forgot..Im feeling cranky today.. :o

Loved In Bruges, its a mgaical place where everything is like a dream O.o

loved the mist..so depressing at the end it made me happy :\\

Wolvie was okay...at lest hugh was oh so hot! :D I could drool...err..look at him all day. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah..and star trek was quite good too.

anything