The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Second Skin  (Read 586 times)

scifibarbie

Second Skin
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:05 am »
Okay...I just watched second skin the movie...its the one where they talk to people who are addicted to MMOs, fell in love with other players playing MMos, MMO gamers gathering for fun at meet and greets, etc. Mostly they are from WoW or Evercrack...but anyway, wasnt someone form Layo supposed to be interviewed for the movie or something?

I seem to recall someone mentioning it alooong time ago.

It was an interesting movie, albeit a bit slow. It actually reminded me of my old roomie and her boyfriend slacker that she met while playing EQ then invited to move in with us (i didnt know that until he showed up with his uhaul)...that didnt end so well. BUt i digress...

I was actually hoping to see who it was from our little community that was supposed to be in it, but was sad when i didnt.

Cheers :D

Oh yeah...and when is Layo-con by the way? :D I vote next week at big L's house. Nothing like a surprise convention at an undisclosed location....well..its disclosed now. ;) Im sure his wife wouldnt mind housing a few hundre...ahem..a few guests of his for the weekend! :o

The following users thanked this post: cbnicholson, Lynn1020

Acacea

scifibarbie

Re: Second Skin
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:31 am »
BUgger...So apparently i missed out which ones honora were and her boy. I didnt catch the laoy plug which was what i was looking for.

Sooo...ummm..which one was she? The preggers one? Congrats to them by the way! Or the other two...the guy who moved from texas? nad went to florida to be with his girl?

May have to watch again. :\

Lynn1020

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:57:04 am »
I just watched this online... boy does it really make you stop and think. It gave me many mixed feelings about gaming.

Lynn1020

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:43 am »
Quote from: scifibarbie
BUgger...So apparently i missed out which ones honora were and her boy. I didnt catch the laoy plug which was what i was looking for.

Sooo...ummm..which one was she? The preggers one? Congrats to them by the way! Or the other two...the guy who moved from texas? nad went to florida to be with his girl?

May have to watch again. :\\

From her post I do not think they actually made it in the film.. just a soundbits somewhere.  I didn't catch it the first time around. But I think I will try to force my husband and son to watch it with me again. ;) I thought it was very interesting.

scifibarbie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:52:06 am »
I just went thru the first part of it again to see if i could figure out which couple she was.

There are maybe 3 couples they talk to at their homes that could be it...But no layo plug. :(

But yeah...the movie really makes you think when you see the guys that game nonstop for days on end. Gave me the icks when the one guy talked about peeing in a bottle cause he didnt want ot get up for a few hours...no mission goes on that long without a pause!. O.o

Kinda makes me appreciate the NWN reminders...your human..go eat something ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:13 pm »
Interesting video.  Just watched the whole thing.  Think I know which ones were Honora and her husband too near the end.  Look towards the end of the video when they had the short clips of the couples talking about meeting on Everquest/WoW. ;)

From the Hulu clip, check at 1:21:00 Hulu - Second Skin - Watch the full feature film now.

I would suggest that the lady who runs the Gamers Addiction help center seek counseling for herself before attempting to help others.  It seems that she takes much of her own tragedy of her son's suicide and displaces it onto other people.  She also appears to be in denial that any other factor other than gaming could have led to his depression, which no doubt there was much more plaguing her relationship with her son than she admits to.  She means well, but just seems as if she is overly fixated on this one issue and in a crusade mode.  In any case, I hope that she seeks professional help, and until she does she should not be playing doctor with other people's psyches.

ycleption

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:10:32 pm »
Yeah, I watched it too

One of the things I am most thankful for about the Layo community is that there is a universal understanding that RL comes first.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:23:10 pm »
ts ts ts, can't watch it since I'm not in the states

Fidzy

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:16:21 pm »
I agree with HellBlazer.  Is there anyone with a link accessible from Canada?

Lynn1020

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 01:17:40 pm »
Did you try searching the net for it?

scifibarbie

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 01:44:07 pm »
Check you tube. I think i saw it was posted there. I was watching it on HULU myself.