The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Trick-or-treat age limit?! Really?!  (Read 437 times)

xsweetpeaxs

Trick-or-treat age limit?! Really?!
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »
ABC News reported that some cities are putting age limit on trick-or-treaters, anyone over 12 years old could face jail or fines up to $100. Are they serious?! I'm sad now. Honestly, I don't see a reason why they should limit the age to 12 years old. I remember trick-or-treating up until high school. Okay, until my junior year in high school. ;) However, I don't think its right for anyone to put a ban on a fun childhood/teen tradition. Most of us eventually grow out of it; when the school dances and house parties become more appealing vs. roaming the cold streets for candies.

What do you think? How old is too old for trick-or-treating? I'm sure there are plenty of parents on Layo who'll snacks on their kids' Halloween candies here and there. Heck, if I was a parent, I would. :D So do you think it's reasonable that certain cities legally banned kids from this holiday? And where does this leaves us? What next? A list of for 'approved' Halloween costumes for trick-or-treaters? I feel like writing an angry letter to those cities, but they'll just toss it out.

Link- Some Spooked Cities Ban Teenage Trick-or-Treating - ABC News

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin

RollinsCat

Re: Trick-or-treat age limit?! Really?!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »
that's really sad.  I remember going out with friends in my late teens, dressed as a beatnik and reading selections from Howl to unsuspecting candy-givers.  was great.

Serissa

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:05:00 pm »
I sit out on the porch and waylay passing teens who think they're too old to trick or treat--begging them to take the candy off my hands.

morunas

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:49:21 am »
That's just ridiculous o.O If no harm is done to anybody and if no privacy issues are attacked, it should be perfectly legal even for an 80 yo. to go trick-or-treat.

Unless some societies turned trick-or-treat into a different "thing" then what I know of (like including alcohol or other less innocent stuff)... then there might be a local motive to make the wabbabe-grown-ups to lie down.

Mooneyes

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:11:00 am »
That is just plain silly. I love seeing my children dress up and go out for an hour or two trick or treating.  Heck I have been known to dress up too and walk with them through the neighborhood.

As for candy diving in the trick or treat bag? I always went for the Baby Ruth or the Almond Joy. I always got first dibbs on them. :) They are my favorites.

Anyone else here that candy dives at Halloween?  What is your favorite?

geloooo

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:59 am »
This is crazy. I went out trick-or-treating in my senior year dressed as a Six Flags employee and it was awesome. This makes me sad. :(

Alatriel

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:15:07 am »
I think it's sad that our teenagers are that irresponsible and just plain bad that cities are afraid to let them out after dark on Halloween.  I think it's sad when I walk down the street with my two kids in their costumes on Halloween and there's an 8 yr old playing basketball by himself and NOT trick-or-treating for whatever reason.  There's a lot of parents that would rather not let their kids trick-or-treat or don't go on Halloween, they go the day before, or they go to their church, or they go to the mall.  We have so many sickos out there that might put something like razorblades or drugs in cookies or homemade treats that we HAVE to buy candy from the store and check over all of our children's candy before we let them have it.

Seriously... I wish I could say that I'm surprised that people wanted to enforce an age limit on imagination and fun for children, but I'm not.