The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN Dice! Love them or hate them!  (Read 120 times)

Dezza

NWN Dice! Love them or hate them!
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:01 am »
With Layo down at present I had far too much time on my hands and I took out and dusted off my old pnp dice set.

Having a few rolls, reminiscing about past victories and defeats in pnp, epic battles, deep and dangerous dungeons I came to thinking.

In a moment of idle thought I came up with this little gem.

We occasionaly see the dreaded forum thread raise its head about how the nwn dice roll far too many ones. Now having a warrior I have often noted that nwn dice tend to roll as many 20's as it does one's so I decided to do a  probability test.

A typical nwn set of dice rolls I took from one of my logs in a battle:

Now I put those rolls up against a set of rolls from my trusty pnp dice:

Now, in looking at those numbers I think I can safely assume that the probability of a 1 or a 20 coming up in a so called random dice rolling program is just not quite the same as when you do it yourself.

Now if I was using those nwn random rolls in crafting instead of combat...I think I'd be a little cheesed off by the end of it! Which is where I think those little posts about the rigged nwn dice keep coming from.

In regards to a battle I think I'd be fairly happy with the rolls since I get a few more crits than my pnp dice give me.

So...morale of this post, love the nwn dice for combat! Hate the nwn dice for crafting!

Kenderfriend

Re: NWN Dice! Love them or hate them!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:19:30 am »
I have often noted that nwn dice tend to roll as many 20's as it does one's

Heh, I have to agree with this one! But rolling 1 all the time can be really funny when rolling for checks. e.g.

Keppli's listen check for ogre= 18+3= 22
Rockhead's listen check for ogre= 1+0= 1
Rockhead, "Nope, can't 'ear nufing."
*Keppli yells* "Look its right in front of u-" *gulps*
A big club comes and bonks their heads.

;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:49:45 am »
my trusty pnp dice

You rigged the dice ensuring the higher numbers are rolled!

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:48:07 am »
Quote from: EdTheKet
You rigged the dice ensuring the higher numbers are rolled!

Extensive rituals involving the binding of various spirits into the dice so they'll roll better does NOT constitute "rigging."