The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Areas I'd like to see again as a PC...  (Read 2122 times)

Pen N Popper

Areas I'd like to see again as a PC...
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:03:25 pm »
There are several areas that I recall visiting once, or perhaps twice, that I'd really like to see again. Do you have any favorites that feel almost like personal quests to reach them?

1. The Great Tree - My PC Bumblebee visited there just once on one of the few quest events I ever attended. It made a profound impression in his character development, and I've always wanted to go back.

2. The "Grove" - I really like NWN worlds where the players get to make their mark. The grove is like a who's-who of PCs that I OOC always looked up to.

3. Way Down There - I honestly have no idea where this place is OOCly. I managed to hook up with a couple of the Freelancers as they began a huge dungeon crawl. It was way into the wee hours of the morning, when I could barely keep my eyes open, that we reached the "boss" at the bottom. I died in that final encounter, as I recall, which was a fitting end to the epic trek.

4. Belinara - Having never had a PC reach 20th, Belinara was always outside of my "level range" (back when there was such a thing). It is a mythical unknown land where, unlike Mistone, if you dropped me down in the middle of it I would have no idea how to find my way to safety.

The following users thanked this post: Lance Stargazer, Alatriel, geloooo

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Areas I'd like to see again as a PC...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »
I'm not sure if you're asking if these places still exist IG, in the NWN Layo module itself, or if you're simply hoping for some PC or GM aid to revisit these places. Either way, however, here are a few tidbits about each of your listed places:

1. Still there, but visitation isn't feasible without GM intervention (meaning, during a quest, general or CDQ).

2. Definitely a place you can visit anytime, and still IG. Explore, ask around IG, and maybe you can hire a guide to take you there.

3. I'm guessing somewhere in the Deep, though the Deep is so extensive, based on your description, it could be a myriad of places. And honestly, if it was with the Freelancers, the place is likely somewhat altered from what it was, at the very least having some new creatures calling it home, but possibly even an area overhaul.

4. Yes, very much still there, as the last major campaign, the Dragon Storm, centered around one of the regions there, and in fact much still happens there that interests adventurers of all levels. Like the "Grove," you may be able to hire another PC to be your guide in exploring the place.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »
Yeah, I assumed they are all still there in one form or another. Was curious what others' favorite areas are; ones that hold special significance.

osxmallard

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:38:11 am »
I miss the old edition of Hlint with the crypts, sewers, and craft hall.  Center is nice, but it is not the same.

Other areas I miss or really like is the crypt in northern belinara near the fire giants (undead one) and the hole where Blood's fortress used to be.

willhoff

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:35 am »
I like that campsite in the spikes, real cozy and well thought out and unexpected in such a desolate area.  Firesteep is an interesting area too if you can make it all the way (I hear *coughs* as I havent actually been able to do it)

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:16 am »
The miranet of symphony, was always my favorite area in layo.

Masterjack

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:01 am »
Quote from: Hellblazer

Yes mine too. It was the place that everyone got married in because it looked soo pretty.

Alatriel

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:17 am »
I like the areas where PCs have an impact on things and can leave their mark as well whether it's in life or after death.  There's Willow's Weep, and for Toranites (and those associated with them) there is also the Citadel of Toran.  The Angels Guild has a nice tribute to their fallen members as well.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:38 am »
Quote from: osxmallard
I miss the old edition of Hlint with the crypts, sewers, and craft hall.  Center is nice, but it is not the same.
The old Hlint crypts were essentially just moved to Fort Vehl with relatively minor changes.

The sewers of Hlint were moved to Port Hempstead...again, same layout and nearly the same experience, just moved.

...and the hole where Blood's fortress used to be.

Definitely one of my favorites, but I'm definitely biased there.

Quote from: Hellblazer

Sadly, the Minaret was retconned out of existence...though heh...if people who thought it was so lovely knew what went on there...well, not so pretty. It was also intended to eventually be a quest reward for people with long-term participation in that quest series.

As an interesting side note, the area where the Minaret used to reside was a copy of a quest-only area, and the official in-game area for the Minaret came into being after it was set up repeatedly for the quest series that introduced it and returned it.

Quote from: Alatriel
I like the areas where PCs have an impact on things and can leave their mark as well whether it's in life or after death.

There's actually quite a few of these. Some are simply more subtle than others, or their stories have faded into the background, but they're really all over the place.

The "Grove" as it's been called and parts of the surrounding swamps, the hole where Blood's fortress used to be, the Minaret of Symphony (when it was around), Port Hempstead in general, Hallowlight Forest (formerly Broken Forest), the Citadels of both Toran and Rofirein....and truly all of Western Gate on Corsain, the Spirit Dunes, Hilm Castle, the Fort of Last Hope, the Great Library, the Temple of Folian (and its secret path) in the Forest of Fog and several others are all examples of places that have been touched and altered by PCs.

mixafix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:02 am »
I think it would be nice if those that know could add a paragraph to a forum on all such places that have been influenced or altered  by PCs and while people still remember.

RollinsCat

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:57 am »
just throwing in two cents, I like Center - it's a great starting place, a great meeting place, and it brings people together.  You can't run through there without seeing people around the fire a good bit of the time.  And let's not forget Storold's bench, which works much better for rp than sitting around PH.

but, from what I understand of Hlint, it misses player housing and Hlint's small-town feel.  Perhaps the town can (through player initiatives to hit another theme of this thread) grow?  Become more of a town, maybe a few player houses, or some additional buildings?

something to consider!

Dorganath

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:06:11 am »
Quote from: RollinsCat
just throwing in two cents, I like Center - it's a great starting place, a great meeting place, and it brings people together.  You can't run through there without seeing people around the fire a good bit of the time.  And let's not forget Storold's bench, which works much better for rp than sitting around PH.

but, from what I understand of Hlint, it misses player housing and Hlint's small-town feel.  Perhaps the town can (through player initiatives to hit another theme of this thread) grow?  Become more of a town, maybe a few player houses, or some additional buildings?

something to consider!

Center is not (yet) a town. It's an outpost...a convenient place of collection, commerce and trade at a busy crossroads. Being a town would imply a level of governance and organization that it lacks.  It could become a town potentially, as it was once in the past before the Dark Ages, but that would probably take quite some time, left to its own devices.

Keep in mind, Center was intended to be a lawless (though mostly civilized) point of meeting. As it's not a town, there's no one to make a law saying that dark elves or half-orcs or whatever can't come in. In this regard, it serves as a suitable starting area, in that we don't have to contrive ways for monstrous race PCs to be accepted by a town populace that would otherwise drive them out with pitchforks and torches.  That's not to say Center welcomes such with open arms, but neither are they prohibited.

So sure, Center could eventually become a town in a proper sense, but be careful what you ask for. *winks*

Guardian 452

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:52:39 am »
Comparing todays Center to Yester years Hlint inst a fair comparison IMO. The amount of characters playing at any given time, amount of GM activity, levels of characters then and now, and sheer amount of places you can go are all different now.

I like Center for the most part. Wish they had a smithy and a few garbage cans outside and I'd love it. ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »
Quote from: Guardian 452
I like Center for the most part. Wish they had a smithy and a few garbage cans outside and I'd love it. ;).

So work ICly to make that happen. *winks*

Guardian 452

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »
Not sure I (my characters) care enough to put forth the effort.  :P

Now as far as areas I miss...

Melnon it had a neat feel to it. Several other towns and crypts/dungeons that ive forgotten the names of. :(

I also miss the total revamp they did long ago for halloween one year. The whole server was changed, and all our toons were made into undead or something. Then several GM's lead us on a all out bash fest. It was a blast!

Areas I dont miss?

The Slaver Cotton field connected to Hlint... THE ONLY place to get cotton way back when too! The guys in there were tough for anyone who couldnt sneak invis and was under 9 or so. As many of us were way back when.

Old Tin and Platinum mine... it had Rust Monsters in it. Enzo didnt much mind but you had to pull teeth to get a plate wearer to go there.

Chazzler

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »
I miss the Azure Depths beyond K'halziras.
Never got to see that cave with orcs in there, I would have loved to.

Anamnesis

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 08:28:22 am »
I loved the are out past the pygmies and malar. I remember Krysthalien and Elly trying to repeatedly sneak past them to have their honeymoon there. It was very beautiful. Its to bad it is no longer there.
Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae

Chazzler

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 04:39:23 am »
Yeah, that pygmy-village was great! Lotsa catfish too, mmm.

Nom

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:03 am »
Bring back the rotting souls east of Hlint.....Slow but satisfiying

Guardian 452

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:51 am »
the rotters.... hahahah I remember those. Usually a grave marker or two over there from those who couldnt handle them. and just some insane XP for those things too... which is why people risked it.