The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Change in Character Development Thread Postings is Coming  (Read 1329 times)

Skywatcher

Re: Change in Character Development Thread Postings is Coming
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 06:01:46 pm »
I would like to offer a bit of encouragement and hopefully perspective.  Many people understand what I am about to say but I feel I need to say it anyway.  

Layo is a unique place on the internet.  It is a place where families can play together and kids can enjoy the RP in a DnD world without the baggage carried by many other places where expression is more free.  I personally think it would be a great tragedy for you to shut down Layo because of the behavior of some of the players.  

It is one thing if it's costing you too much money or interfering with family or work or something but I get the sense that after 5 years of doing this you have those areas pretty well handled.  It seems the frustration comes from trying to run things and having people come along who don't appreciate the effort that you and the team have put in and think they can just do whatever they want and ruin things for other people.  

I personally hate the idea of having to baby sit people and having to have so many rules to make sure there is a level playing field to ensure people's fun.  Its a tough problem to make people be respectful and hold themselves accountable.  When people come here new there can be a tendency to treat Layo like every other throw away world out there where you can have some fun and then run off to the next world if you get kicked off of this one.  It takes some time to understand things like the fact that you personally put out hundreds of dollars per month and hours and hours of time to make this place work.  It takes time to understand how much work it is to make Layo what it is.  Once people understand this they usually start to respond differently but it takes time.  Maybe something could be done to speed this process.  Like I said I hate new rules but maybe an acknowledgement placed in the first character submission by a new player that states an understanding of this would go along way to increase the accountability.  Something like:

"I understand that the world of Layonara is a unique and special place and that thousands of man hours and hundreds of dollars per month are being expended by Leanthar and the rest of the great team that make Layo what it is.  I pledge to do my best to be responsible and respectful to all of the players and administrators in this community to do my part to help keep Layo special and unique"

Many people would just leave rather than have to make such a statement and that would be a good thing.  Others after making this statement may think twice about how they behave in Layo and a third group will disregard it and make the statement and then violate it.  For those you have their own pledge to hold them accountable to and if they won't keep their word don't deserve to have the privledge of experiencing what Layo has to offer.

Keep up the good work and I really hope there is a way that this can be remedied and become fun again for you.  

I salute you and thank you and the team for the distinct priviledge you offer me.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 06:36:46 pm »
Wow....I'm sorry L.  I know that I havent' exactly been a man of many words here on the forums but I do really enjoy the world that you have created for us.  Thank you for everything!  I have to agree with those who have said that if your not getting any enjoyment with Layonara then maybe it is time for a change of some kind.  The team has done a great job and I appreciate everyone who has put time, effort, creativity and money into this server, Thank you!  As a player who has been here for over two years now I have seen many changes, I have grown as an RP'er and have enjoyed being a part of this community.  I have also really enjoyed watching others play and grow thier characters as well as getting to know people from around the world (literally).

For all the players here:  The best advice I can offer as to how we can help this situation is think about what we do and how it affects others.  It's been said before (thanks Dorg)...respect is a concept that has to be understood.  Respect includes following the rules, not challanging the Team when decisions are made and not making work for others (think about those requests before submitting....is it really necessary?)  Let's also try to show a little more appreciation (there are many ways of doing this) for this awesome experience we call Layonara.

Laldiien

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 06:45:18 pm »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
To L and the Community,

I have to be very blunt here...

If there are a few bad apples ruining the bunch well...

Dig them out of the bunch and toss em into the nearest river.

I know that the squeeky wheel gets the grease right?  Well sometimes you have to toss out the bad wheel and get a new one.

Seconded.

Leanthar and the GM team are decent people.  So much so, that the player-base tends to step on them.  I am of the opinion that if there are players making the GM's lives miserable, they should be hammered into the deck, with a nice explanation as to why.  Then allowed to come back after a suitable cooling off period.

Now, that being said, I'd like to make a request of the GM's:  If you have a rule, enforce it.  It means nothing otherwise.  You have players muling, you have players metagaming and powerleveing their way past 20 in months, and they are given a free pass.  The mentality is becoming "If they get away with it, why can't I?".  I know that enforcing rules in an onerous, thankless, crappy job.  It sucks and it sucks big, but if they are there, they need to be followed or there will be no respect for any of them.  

I like it here.  I have made RL friends here that I associate with outside of Layo.  If the servers shut down tomorrow, I will still have those friends, and for that, I owe a debt of gratitude.  I also want to thank the GM that slapped me for OOC last year.  It ed me off, but it was done because it was the right thing to do.  

If you aren't backing "the right thing", why not?

bmkbobcat

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 07:53:17 pm »
    Picture it...

You are the DM of a massively wonderful campaign.  You have invited several people to play; some you know, some friends of friends, some just showed up because they heard there was gong to be a game.  You open your home, set up the play area, supply ample munchies, guide all the players through the creation of their characters, and now it is time to play.

All goes well for a couple of hours, but then some power hungry, dominating, manipulative, poopy-head decides to be a dink.  What do you do?

Being the diplomat that you are, you try to discuss how their behavior is not acceptable.  When that does not work, you make some rules to cover what you feel needs to be addressed.  When that does not work, you use your powers of greatness and domination to call down the smack - wiping out most of the party so that they can help the dink 'get the point'.  After awhile, no one is having any fun, and the dink is politely asked to leave.  If they don't leave, you cast them from your domicile with a quick boot and lock the door.

Those that remain give a sigh of relief, and much gaming joy commences.

In the end, you have protected your home and your guests from unwanted nastiness, and stress is relieved.

For my part...I'll happily hold open the door while you prepare for the bootage, and I'm sure others would be more than happy to help with other aspects of the 'launch', should you ask.

If all else fails, by all means, cancel the game and ask everyone to leave.  After all, this is your game, your creation, your home, your time spent, and your ulcer.  Everyone who truly cares will understand.  Those who don't, well you don't need to be associating with them anyway.

Just my 2 coppers.

~B

Tygular

• View Profile
      « Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 08:06:17 pm »
      I would really hate to see Layonara go away. I played here a couple of years ago and thought it was great. I have just recently came back to it and have seen the wonderful development that has happened between the times. I think Leanthar you have done a spectacular job with the world. It is the most alive persistent world that I have came across. It saddens me to hear that you do not get the enjoyment out of it that you once did. I would understand if you shut down the server. If I was in your shoes I would be thinking the same thing, I wouldn't want to create something as good as this world is and see it ruined by a few bad apples.

I would suggest that you give 1 and only 1 warning to those who are ruining your world for you. Send them either an in game message or email warning them that the behavior is not acceptable and if they continued to behavior in a matter that takes fun away from the game, they will be bane permanently. No excuses, not more chances.

It is harsh but sometimes you have to be that way for people to understand that you have reached your limit.

Do what you need to do Leanther to enjoy your world again.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 04:33:34 am »
      Quote from: MJZ
      Hey now, it's not so thankless! All the many dozens of posts and discussions and IRC chats, and, needless to say, players online at all hours of the day are all silent thanks in themselves, thanks for allowing us to meet and greet and roleplay like mad and bash critters till our robes are torn and bloodied.

Oh boy shes right - for 4 months I've been pondering if I should or should not post my thanks but now I feel like I must - just so you know how much people appreciate what you do.

5 months ago I had a serious accident that basiclly left me in recovery for 4 months - I was home bound and other than the occasional visit, Layo was really all I had (Sad but true!!:D) - it kept me going to a degree instead of staying in bed all day :p and sure I had my moments of "grief" (Although I hope not too many)... but never without gratitude for what you guys done for us.

And now that im up on my feet and busy (I miss Layo!) let it be known that nothing can express how much I appreciate the world you forged and the time you sacrficied. You granted other people more than you know.

Thanks L! you're a hero8)
      And thanks everyone on the community!

Long live Layo :( show 'em you can behave :p

And just so you know... NWN (Layo included!) much like fine wine... only gets better as it ages:\