The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Coming Soon! Dynamic Names  (Read 788 times)

orth

Coming Soon! Dynamic Names
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:57:10 pm »
I wanted to give the community a heads up on the new system that will hopefully be arriving in the next update. We are going to be introducing dynamic names to the world. What are dynamic names? Well now whenever you don't know a character all you will see above them or when they talk and other events is "Someone". It will be up the characters to introduce themselves to others or for your character to dub that character with a name.Associated commands will be:
  • =c intro
  • =c introparty
  • =c introarea
  • =c dub
To introduce yourself to an individual you use =c intro Plen for example. This will find the closest PC to your PC and introduce yourselves as that name to them. This will then change it so the other character sees Plen instead of Someone. =c introparty The Bird Lord for example would do the same thing but for all characters in your party. The same for =c introarea Feathers for example but it will work on any players in the immediate vicinity. If you would prefer to see someone's name as something else, you can forego their introduction and use =c dub instead. This works on the closest PC to your PC. For example, Connor could be near Plenarius and do =c dub Werechicken. If you have someone dubbed, from that point onward any time the player introduces themselves, it will ignore the introduction and use what you have dubbed them as.This will be a bit confusing at first when everyone is "Someone" but it should gradually get all worked out. You don't have to RP the introduction or dubbing of a PC who your PC knows well enough, just run the command(s). (Though feel free to RP it if you want!)Certain parts of the game world will still use your real name. For example the looter notification shows a Floating Message above the player to anyone that's nearby and can't be personalized on a per player basis. Storage logs on crates will still use the original name. There will be other cases we discover too, some will be fixed, some may not be able to be fixed.We hope this will help encourage the RP aspect of ones true name being held secret if they wish it that way. Also characters can use aliases to some if they so desire. Sometimes we're even confused/forgetful if one of our characters has met another yet, so this should help too. GMs always see your real name of course, but they too can dub you something else if they prefer.  (i.e. =c dub Victim #5) *gm grin*If you have any further ideas or just questions or comments, fire away. This isn't a set in stone update if players aren't thrilled about the idea but we think it will be a really fun addition.-orth

Acacea

Yay! It's like being visited
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:19:45 pm »

Yay! It's like being visited by aliens with future tech!

mixafix

Outstanding  addition at this
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:52:33 am »

Outstanding  addition at this stage to solve an age old problem, and I can instantly think of a few situations where this is indeed  likely to be - a really fun addition. It will be well suited to the surge of evil sneakies lurking around the server recently.  I look forward to the additional RP.

Can I confirm if someone dubs themselves or another, can they later re dub them a new name?

orth

mixafix wrote:Outstanding
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:00:03 am »

Quote from: "mixafix"&cid="2756530"

Outstanding  addition at this stage to solve an age old problem, and I can instantly think of a few situations where this is indeed  likely to be - a really fun addition. It will be well suited to the surge of evil sneakies lurking around the server recently.  I look forward to the additional RP.

Can I confirm if someone dubs themselves or another, can they later re dub them a new name?

One can't dub themselves I'm afraid, it just can't work that way. But you can redub someone else as often as you wish.

ShiffDrgnhrt

Finally a way to go incognito
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:23:07 am »

Finally a way to go incognito during appropriate quests/rp sessions.  Awesome!

ShiffDrgnhrt

Will the Online
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:29:03 am »

Will the Online Players/Server Status Page work with this new system?  If I log in with Shiff and Introduce him as "Crazy Old Codger" will it still say "Shiff Dragonheart" on the server status and Social Menu in NWN?

EDIT:  Is there a way to undub someone?  If I'm on a quest where people are using disquises/aliases would I have to re-dub everyone or is there a way to clear 'dubs' and use new intros?

ShiffDrgnhrt

orth wrote:To introduce
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:31:54 am »

Quote from: "orth"&nid="10163420"

To introduce yourself to an individual you use =c intro Plen for example. This will find the closest PC to your PC and introduce yourselves as that name to them.

If you would prefer to see someone's name as something else, you can forego their introduction and use =c dub instead. This works on the closest PC to your PC.

So I assume I will have to be ontop of people if it's crowded in order to dub people or introduce myself to specific people?  It sounds like if you're not careful about proximities you could end up with a short, bell wearing Bird Lord, or a tall winged Chimes.

Dorganath

ShiffDrgnhrt wrote:Finally a
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:38 am »

Quote from: "ShiffDrgnhrt"&cid="2756757"

Finally a way to go incognito during appropriate quests/rp sessions.  Awesome!

To a point. If someone dubs you themselves, all =c intro will do for them is show a message saying they'd like to be known as something else.  Their dub will supercede your intro.

Quote from: "ShiffDrgnhrt"&cid="2756758"

EDIT:  Is there a way to undub someone?  If I'm on a quest where people are using disquises/aliases would I have to re-dub everyone or is there a way to clear 'dubs' and use new intros?

You can re-dub them, and if they send a new intro, you can manually dub them to that.  How much you manage people's names is kind of up to you.

Quote from: "ShiffDrgnhrt"&cid="2756759"

So I assume I will have to be ontop of people if it's crowded in order to dub people or introduce myself to specific people?  It sounds like if you're not careful about proximities you could end up with a short, bell wearing Bird Lord, or a tall winged Chimes.

Yes, dub takes the closest individual and applies the name to them. Likewise, intro works on the closest individual