The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Community Feedback Requested: Hak Updates  (Read 563 times)

orth

Community Feedback Requested: Hak Updates
« on: December 10, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
Well I originally intended this to be a poll, but there are many variations of opinions to try to summarize in a poll, so I decided best to just keep it to a discussion.  What I want to know is how often the community minds hak pak updates.  Are they a bother.  How big of a download is too much and how limited we should keep them.  Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Please note, I'm not referring to the initial download to play the game, just the regular updates.

ZeroVega

RE: Community Feedback Requested: Hak Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
I don't mind them at all. No download is too big. They're never too often. Even if it takes 30 minutes to an hour to download it, I can do chores while I wait and make up the time later. Go Layo Go!

jan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
i for one dont mind the updates , they are nessecary to let us play the game as smooth as possible
 so i cant think of a reason why anyone should mind .
 maybe it would be a good idear to post a remnder for the first ,say two days on the forum.
 so that players know they have an update to install..it is anoying if you try to get into game and
 you get the notice that your missing an update .
 for the rest ...keep up the good work and thanks for making playing so smooth .

Jan aka Barion Firesteed

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
If it means making the mod easier to load to put stuff into hak packs...I'm all for it.  I never really thought of them as a nusence.  I just never really though of them :)

D Blaze

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
I don't mind the updates at all, in fact, I look forward to them.

They bring greater depth to the world through variety(along with the occassional hiccups), but it is all good.

For frequency and size, whenever they are ready seems fine, though they should be done over the weekends.

Larger haks may take longer, but that's what RL diversions are for :)

blonde

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:34:00 pm »
I may be biased here, but i say when ever updates are available. Updates means bug fixes, new content, and more substance to the world.

And yeah, i dont mind taking 10 min off Layo while it downloads, hehe.

regnus

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »
I dont mind them at all.  They always mean new or improved stuff and that is a good thing.  As far as size of the update goes, it really doesnt matter because of the previous point.  It means new or improved stuff.  Make it as big as it has to be.

tom bombadill

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
keep them coming at your convienence. you and the rest of the rest of the team have been amazing in your dedication and the amount of time you sacrifice for this world. so really it is not much to ask if i need to download somthing and wait for it to finish before i can play. i would just ask that you keep considering the dial up'ers like myself and if the haks are in small files but more frequent then it makes it easier to obtain.

twidget658

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
How often the community minds hak pak updates?

I don’t think that you could put them out fast enough to really make bother anyone.

Are they a bother?

The way it is set up now, it makes it very easy to download and update our programs. No bother at all.

How big of a download is too much?

Too much?! Enough said.

How limited we should keep them?

I am not sure how much work goes into an update. To me, it looks like a whole heck of a lot. The limiting factor should be based on the GM team and not the players. In general, I don’t think the players would put a limit on it. Matter of fact, they may start breaking out their whips.

I too, look forward to them. Especially, the last one with all the CNR graphical update. Simply superb!

Variable

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
As a lot of people have said before i don't mind Hak updates as they always mean cool new stuff is being added!

I never see it as a problem to have to download new files,

they should be updated as often as cool new stuff is ready

Vyris

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 07:04:00 pm »
I would rather have an update each week if there was something finished and ready to go into the game. If we had a regular update deadline of friday for the project teams and a module update on sunday morning, with saturday set aside for Orth or Dorganath or Leanthar or whoever to get the update files together and ready to go.
I don't think it would be too big of a ritual for the community to check every sunday morning for an update. My only problem with that is perhaps a regular update like that might be a bit more onto the workload for some already overworked folks. Not that there would always be something to update the game with every week. Perhaps if it worked out maybe on the 15th and 30th of every month we could do update *shrug*

Vyris

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
Any size, and whenever you feel you need to implement a new hak pak into the server, i don't mind either.

Updates and bug fixes are always welcome, and new content even more welcome.

All the effort put into those has a fantastic result: the best nwn module around, Layonara Online! ;)

KageKeeper

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 07:36:00 pm »
Personally, if there is something needed that makes this world more enriched and awesome, then I say go with it.

Size does not matter when it comes to the hak. Nor does frequency.

Etinfall

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 09:26:00 pm »
Bring em on!!!!!!

aragwen

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 01:16:00 am »
Updates are always great, so dont mind them.
  A day or two warning before making them effective as done in the past helps a lot.
  Keep up the great work.

Acacea

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 01:38:00 am »
Speaking as someone who's downloaded all the required files on both high speed and dial up... the updates can take awhile, depending on which you're on. But I'd do it, anyway. Happily. Every week. Month. Whenever.

Edit- Oh yes, however large. Doesn't matter. :)

s0ulz

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 02:11:00 am »
How big of a download is too much...
Nay such thing!!! Keep em coming...

Drakko

• Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 04:42:00 am »
I dont mind at all.

freemen2

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 08:03:00 am »
The regular updates, which means the work the team puts in outside of IG, is only one of the reasons that makes me stay here ;)

EventHorizon

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
:) Don't mind updates. Given the time spent here, if it takes 1 hour just to update, give or take 30 min, compared to the amount we spend ingame. I don't see much of a problem with it at all. Those minutes of no playtime makes an excellent oppertunity to actually get some studdies done  ;)  Or, browse the forum.

Bigger Better err... and all that.  :o

anything