The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Emote Wand "Follow" Ability Removed in Next Update  (Read 333 times)

orth

Emote Wand "Follow" Ability Removed in Next Update
« on: November 19, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
The ability to follow a PC will not be available on the Emote Wand upon the next update.  There were many reports and GM sightings of abuse of this function.

No more follow the monk.

And yes I know it was handy for being saved from a ledge etc :(

Stephen_Zuckerman

RE: Emote Wand "Follow" Ability Removed in Next Update
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
o.o

;_;

Great. Now I can't emote Follow, and spend the time typing out for RP...

RaWr.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:54:00 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 11/22/2005  1:36 PM

o.o

;_;

Great. Now I can't emote Follow, and spend the time typing out for RP...

RaWr.

Click type... click type...

I personally find it irritating when people use the emote tool follow on me and then go do whatever.

The cliff issue was nice though...

Falreign

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 12:09:00 am »
I actually enjoyed putting it on people and being able to go do whatever. I dont like getting left behind right next to a spawn point and dying alone neither do I like using my pants as a bathroom. I'll miss this little guy but probably get over it.

davidtownsend

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
I use barter with the lead person to type while I walk. Better would be to use a voice over IP program but finding people willing to go through the small hassle to set it up is rare at best. Coming from the land of table top playing all night wired on caffine and sugar the whole typing thing is SO yucky to put it mildly. And in Combat when the heat is on, fergit it.

Maybe NWN2 will address this but I doubt it.

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
Darn....How are we supposed to save people now?

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
.. I think my imagination is better at reproducing the voice of some female better than the guy playing that female... and.. how many of us can pull off a convincing tough guy sound?.. let alone trying to ACTUALY make Weston sound anything like the horrible butchery of british he pulls off so well.

Vyris

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
Well, in my personal, humble opinion...

Layonara is not an autopilot game, if you let people know you need to take 5, most of the time they do too, everyone goes to a safe place nearby, and your little corner of the world goes into stasis for a few minutes. It's not that big of a deal.

shift+click somewhere far ahead on your road to wherever,type while walking. If you start talking before you hit an AT you can type all the way through it while you get the load screen, theres 5-6 seconds of undistracted typing right there.

This would not have been a problem if people weren't abusing game mechanics to begin with to.
A) Load up with 800 lbs of ore, follow someone else and 'Ox' their way back to the craft hall.
B) Tag a monk going thier way and get a real express trip
C) Use the function to get past physical challenges (jump, climb, etc) that they couldn't normally get past themselves.
D) Avoid the death effect by following a normal speed person back to their tomb.

Those are a few of the documented abuses of the function, if the team discovers things like this are being abused we have to do something about it. It's a shame that some people would try to avoid the negative effects of their condition, be it encumbered, dead(ish), or just having a character that doesn't get a major speed bonus. As far as getting stuck on cliffs.... It mostly happens when you go through an AT using the 'driving mode' Use your mouse to click on the AT's and you'll have less problems.

Vyris

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:00 pm »
Wow I never knew people did those things...I've never seen it used like that myself, but I guess it is possible.  I only ever used it to get people off high cliffs that jump there after coming through a transition during a lagg spike.

DarkMerc_1017

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 07:37:00 am »
ya same never seen anyone doing that

-------------
IN TIME THE STUDENT BECOMES THE MASTER

Leanthar

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 08:39:00 am »
What Vyris stated is right on. And that is exactly why it was removed.  The few ruin it for the many once again.  This is part of the reason we need the communities help.  If you guys/gals can help us to spread the word that things like that is not in the spirit of the world it will go a long ways in us not having to do something like this for other useful systems.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
Eloyn - 12/6/2005  3:28 PM

Darn....How are we supposed to save people now?

hope they have tinder and flint and steel thats always worked in the past

to farther explain what i mean, if they drop the tinder on the ground near their feat and start a fire close to them, when the fire is created if close enough to the PC it will push them a bit, should they be standing on a cliff and it push them towards the face they will be pushed down

anything