The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gathering interest -- A possible quest idea  (Read 614 times)

Dorganath

Gathering interest -- A possible quest idea
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:58:16 pm »
[SIZE=13] Hello all, most of you probably don't remember when I *gasp* actually ran quests, but I've been known to do so, and recently I've had an idea that is interesting to me, but before I spend time actually planning such a thing, I thought I'd post to see if there was any interest.  

Why?

Because this is something of a different concept for a quest. It's intended to be a one-shot, meaning unless something catastrophic happens, it begins and ends on the same day with no stretching into a mini-series or long-running plot.  However, it's intended also to have some quirks and outcomes that will quite potentially extend far beyond the quest.

What's it about?
Well, that's part of the gimmick. I'm not going to say, and you as the player will be completely in the dark as to what may happen when the quest starts.  You'll find out soon enough once it starts, but I want both player and character to react to the unknown.

OK, sounds interesting...I think...tell me more.
The quest will be open to and intended for all levels, all alignments, all faiths...everyone.  That right there should strike fear into your hearts, but if it doesn't, I'll add the chance of physical and emotional trauma (hopefully only to the character), sudden character death, lasting (possibly permanent) character-affecting changes, sore throat, runny nose, watery eyes and night sweats.  Then again, none of this may happen. It will strongly depend upon the actions you take. So yes, this means that the Calem Rule is firmly in effect. There may also be a chance of a reward of some sort. I've not yet worked that out, but as with the quest, it is likely to be somewhat the product of what occurs.  I will say with some certainty that it will not be a bash-fest.

For those who are not aware, the Calem Rule is best summarized as: [/SIZE]
No level requirement. Act stupid and face the consequences.[SIZE=13]

As I said, it's intended to be a one-shot quest. As such, there will effectively be a time limit.  Standing around and discussing options and things for two hours will likely cause a fail and you probably don't want that at all.

Sounds kind of gloomy.  What's the up-side?
It probably goes without saying, but this will be an RP-heavy quest, so everyone will be on somewhat equal footing. It'll be a chance to be seen and counted, even if your character usually gets marginalized by the BEITR (Biggest Epic In The Room).  "How can this be?" you might ask? I'm not telling *GM grin*. It's part of the concept.  The whole point of this though is to be something different, hopefully interesting and definitely challenging. I understand that this is not the style of quest that everyone likes, and that's fine. It's also why I am sort of "fishing" at the moment.

OK...probably against my better judgment, but I'm interested.  What do I need to do?
For now, I'm looking for interest.  And by "interest" I mean you are looking for the experience, not just the XP.  I want to know who's seriously interested in this and who is accepting of the possible consequences. I don't want to just put up a calendar event and have people RSVP just for the chance of a quest. As players, I want you informed that things could potentially go very badly so that it is no surprise to you if it does. I want you as players to understand that there is a chance for your characters to be tormented and pushed to the edge of belief, morals and/or ability.

I'm sure the question on the minds of many is, "what if I lose a Soul Strand?"  Well, the standard statements apply there. If I screw up, you'll get it back. If you, for example, jump unprotected into a deep pit filled with hungry, angry, hasted dire tigers, you're not going to get it back. Pretty simple really.

So for now, I'm not asking for anything binding. simply a statement of interest and any questions you may have.  If you are interested, please post below.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13]My timeframe for this is likely some time in the next month or two, depending on how things work out.[/SIZE][SIZE=13]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13]
Because I think this will be pretty involved for both player and GM alike, I will only be accepting a group of 8 characters maximum. If there are more than 8 interested, I will likely choose the "lucky" ones at random.

DISCLAIMER and notice
While it will not be my intent, a situation may arise that will bring forth a moral dilemma or some other controversial topic and/or decision that will strike a nerve with a player. The last thing I want to do is to make any player uncomfortable to the point where the enjoyment is lost. Likewise, I don't want anyone leaving this in shock or anger at something I've done.  

So if such a situation arises where you, as a player, become uncomfortable, feel threatened or develop some other strong, personal and negative emotion, just let me know right away.

Why am I saying this now? Because I don't plan on doing my usual pre-quest appearance to go over the rules and situation. I'm aiming for as complete of an immersion from beginning to end as I possibly can.

Messages to the DM channel and tells to me of course are welcomed and encouraged. Open-channel OOC chatter is strongly discouraged, but that's my norm, and nothing specific to this quest in particular.

So in summary...
[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]RP-heavy, nearly or completely bash-less[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]Possibility of strong consequences, lasting if not permanent character changes, emotional scarring (think PTSD in some shape or form), and other nastiness[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]Events are intended to be challenging and playing to a character's traits and abilities to a large degree[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]Everyone will have a chance to contribute
  • [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [SIZE=13]All levels[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]All classes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]All alignments[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]All faiths (and the faithless too)
  • [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [SIZE=13]Chance of character death, dependent on player actions[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]Calem Rule in effect[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=13]Strictly enforced maximum of 8 characters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13]Sound like your sort of thing?  Let me know![/SIZE]

The following users thanked this post: Link092

ycleption

Re: Gathering interest -- A possible quest idea
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:29 pm »
I love one shots and smallish parties. I love heavy RP. And I love a sense of real danger in quests. So yes, count me in as interested :-)

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »
Sounds great! Although my first impression was Layo speed-dating ;) now what are the odds it will be EDT day?

RollinsCat

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »
yes, oh yes.

Andrew Reid.

Masterjack

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:31:45 pm »
Count me in

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
Sounds dangerously atractive , Depending on time and date, but sure, I am in.

Aerimor

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:43:04 pm »
A chance to have negative things happen to my character for being unwise, hastey or ravaged by moral dilemas... sweet.

I think that's the definition for Raz.

Alatriel

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »
Bring on the drama Dorg!

(now I have to figure out which character I haven't screwed up enough on my own yet... which one... tough choices....)

Link092

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:08 pm »
D8 I wanna go! LOL... but I don't know when I'm free...  ;-;

I can has quest please? :D

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:41:30 pm »
Count me in Mate!

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »
I would also be interested in getting a shot at this.  Could always use a change from the norm.

darkstorme

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:47:45 pm »
I would certainly be interested, time permitting. :)

(*makes a note in his GM notebook*  Pit of hasted, hungry, angry dire tigers.  Hmmm.)

Ravemore

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:25 am »
I am interested and will set aside the time...

ystrday

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:23:43 am »
All kinds of ready here!

Warchild214

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:26 am »
I will probably learn a lot from this experience if selected (the challenege is to not make it the hard way)...time permitting, Id like to be in included in the selection process of the "lucky ones"

Nehetsrev

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 07:41:10 am »
Sounds like everything I started playing here on Layonara for...  If I'm not away on vacation at the time this is run I'll likely show up and try my luck.

Filatus

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 07:56:40 am »
This definitely sounds interesting, inflicting and receiving emotional trauma sounds right up Hardragh's alley. Good chance that it will fall during vacation time, so I'd like to give a go at the lucky spin. Eventhough I don't believe in fair RNG. *grins*

cbnicholson

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:33:41 am »
I'm listening. ;)
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Pibemanden

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:52 am »
I could bring Therhcha along for it depending on timeslot

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 09:57:30 am »
While I get myself into enough trouble as it is, I have to at least admit that I'm interested. Meaningful interaction--interaction where something valuable to those involved is at stake--is what it's all about.