The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara 3.2 Release Notes  (Read 2246 times)

orth

Re: Layonara 3.2 Release Notes
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
Can someone explain how this works?

I did write on my blade but it just added a line at the end of the description, the actual title did not change of the item. Oh... and I got a kill bonus, it's pretty cool with the message you get...

Thanks, and great work everyone!

Merlin34

Use the quill on the sword
Type: ~~title My Swordname

jrizz

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »
@Chongo,
These are incredible changes. I think you and the team have taken an already fun game and added so much more depth and thought to it. I wont be surprised if we get a rush of new players once word gets out on this.

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication,
John

Quote from: Chongo
Yeah, it's supposed to be stronger on scaling.  There was nothing 'taken away' from anyone in this update - which was a major focus.  It's all balanced and fair upgrades where upgrades were warranted.  Scaling direct damage spells was a significant part of this effort, and Orth and co. busted their behind to code it all.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are minor bugs here and there - so bear with the team on getting initial fixes in.  It's a LOT of changes.  Heck, during my testing this weekend I found two ramps in the Deep that just left you plain stuck on a ledge.  When you add 50 areas, you miss a ramp here and there.  When you change or add 50 spells... the same is bound to happen.  I'd put this in the bug reports for Orth because I know he's planning on an evaluation this week for initial and obvious fixes.  And I encourage everyone to be trying out all the new spells and spell changes to get a thorough report on any bugs.

Anyhow - I mainly point this out to stress the idea that all changes were entirely positive, and in areas where we felt some love was needed.  For spells, the goals were to 1) Scale direct damage so it became viable/ effective throughout all levels, 2) Give every spell school a viable track with spells equivalent to other upper level mainstays (i.e. - take existing Divination, Conjuration, etc spells and make them potentially as useful as the big guns like wail or thunderclap), and 3) Make caster-specific builds more possible for classes that have traditionally become melee-casters.  

For classes, it should be fairly obvious.  Pure class investment should be rewarded, and now it is in many cases.  If you look at things like the scaling on barbarian rage duration - you see the urge for class investment, especially with the new changes.  Classes that are traditionally a bit weak when not mixed with other stronger multiclasses have been given major love, and love that makes you actually want to stay the course on something like a pure ranger.  And - every class out there has gotten something pretty much.  So everyone should be smiling, even the ones that already had mechanical advantage.  

A lot of thought went into this, and my hair has been seriously blown back.  When a guy like Orth comes and asks 'If you had my help, what would you like to see change?', and then you get Pan, Dorg, and OneST8 looking at everyone's suggestions and coming up with really smart solutions - it's a really neat scenario.  For me, balancing is contained to altering baseline stuff in the toolset.  And it's frustrating to sit there and not be capable of fixing the core issues, and instead changing creatures and items again and again and again.  If anything, the major thing I've come to realize is how good Layo's MMO team really is - since I've not ever had the opportunity to work with most of them.  What I've taken away from this is a lot of faith in what must be happening on the MMO.  Which is cool.  

Alrighty.  Enough of the feel good.  Heh.

EdTheKet

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Whose the dude in the snazzy graphic, Eon?

Check out the Dogmawear shirts.

Frendh

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 04:56:44 pm »
Looks good. Though I am curious about the reason behind the damage
increase for the spells. People have been wanting  damage increased for the
spells since I first got here (and firebrand did 15d6 per lvl at that time).

I know the constant nerfing was a gradual process to get the spells to fit into
the low magic world that Layonara is. Most of the spells, if not all, were
default when I started playing.

Dorganath

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:09:02 pm »
Quote from: Frendh
Looks good. Though I am curious about the reason behind the damage
increase for the spells. People have been wanting  damage increased for the
spells since I first got here (and firebrand did 15d6 per lvl at that time).

I know the constant nerfing was a gradual process to get the spells to fit into
the low magic world that Layonara is. Most of the spells, if not all, were
default when I started playing.

There are many reasons for the change. This is something we wanted to do when moving to v3 a couple years ago actually, specifically to give a meaningful progression up through the Epic levels for pure casters (or heavily biased multi-classed casters), which is something that was sorely lacking.  We have a lot more Epic-level characters on the server than we had several years ago too, primarily due to our lifting of the restriction for Epic leveling to those who completed a ECDQ/WLDQ.  Without this barrier, more characters have been free to explore these upper levels, but the progressions of several classes tend to stagnate.

These spell changes are not so much about increasing their damage or effectiveness as they are about giving a meaningful and appropriate progression through epic levels.

Link092

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »
in a non-awkward, player-to-developer way, we all love you.

I can't wait to get in and try all these updates!

but you know one ything I'd like to see for the NWN version? some feats specifically for certain combo classes and pure classes that appear in the last few levels... sort of a last minute thought after reading the Ranger's update...

anyhow, time to go get ride of that malware, fast!

*grabs a baseball bat, grinnning evilly*

Lord Dark

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »
Thanks alot you all, great job! I clicked my house chest about ten times and didn't get stuck once! Can't wait to try out the other updates.

willhoff

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »
Thanks to all the developers for all your hard work.  Very creative and fun additions that think outside the NWN box.  They will also help with cutting down my arrow making.  *runs off and starts mumbling something to his greatsword*

jadewillow

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:22:38 pm »
All I can say is thank you. You guys continue to exceed expectations.

Stug3

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »
WOW!  Nuff said

jadewillow

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 12:12:51 am »
Thanks again folks. Just curious, will LORE get an update as well?

ycleption

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:27 am »
Quote from: jadewillow
Thanks again folks. Just curious, will LORE get an update as well?

http://forums.layonara.com/general-discussion/223532-fyi-version-3-2-lore.html

Masterjack

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 02:26:08 am »
*tear wells up* Beli can now get magiced up just like everyone else. Greater magic weapon and flame weapon now work on bows and gloves.

Hruby

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 09:48:01 am »
I just keep saying Wow, and then again and again.....

Falonthas

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 09:50:50 am »
sits on his tree limb:  why do wizards get to make hurricanes? : throws a pine comb at the dress wearing finger wigglers:

but otherwise, holy  batman

cant wait for my new cd to come in the mail now, since i couldnt find my old ones

just think scaled druid payback for all you nasty poacher peoples

Zoogmunch

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 11:55:07 am »
Rockhead Howling Wolf sits and grumbles.

hey you lot, i've been running around today loike and the badger pie I bought in the Wild Surge Inn tastes exactly as bad as it did before the changes.

please can yer add a patch or summat ter add a squirt of tabasco sauce into the chefs receipe fer me loike!

thanks in advance.

ps. Can bards sing any better loike cos of the changes and can me curse song give Verdon Cowl warts on his Ar..., on his posterior, cos I swore blind I could do so and i wouldnt want ter be caught fibbing loike!

Xaltotun

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »
WOW, what a load of brilliant updates - but seriously, do you guys have a life? :)

Pibemanden

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:00 pm »
I must say that this is quite a nice update :)

Just one thing that might need to be changed for consistency,

Bless weapon

Deafening clang

The spells doesn't work on gloves, without knowing anything about what you did to flame weapon and GMW I figured that this change would be easy to make :)

ycleption

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »
I know this is rather belated, but I really want to thank the team for the changes to the weapon enhancement spells... Drexia's like a whole new character in party play, and I'm sure that bow-users appreciate it too.

Grid Blader

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
Very Nice

anything