The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The NWN Servers are going to be moved  (Read 1784 times)

orth

The NWN Servers are going to be moved
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »
Hello everyone,I hope you and your loved ones are all well.I've recently been able to secure a great deal for the NWN Server on a much faster machine on a Black Friday special so we're going to be moving it over there some time in the near future.I'd like to get the server up and tested this month so we can confirm that everything is okay to go and I can cancel our previous account before the end of the month. I haven't yet set an exact date and time but I'm thinking maybe late Friday or Saturday night this week.Players shouldn't notice any difference, you will still connect to xora.layonara.com (5121 or 5122).  The IP address will change if you use that but I'll inform you of the new one when the time comes.This may also mean we can revert to automatic cross-server portals without crashes which might be nice but we'll have to test that.The new server will only cost $40 a month in donations so we can hopefully extend NWN Layonara at a fairly inexpensive price for as long as folks still enjoy coming here.For those curious and in the tech know:Existing server is a 4GB RAM, Dual 2.53GHz CPU, 250GB SATA HD running Windows 2k3 Server dedicated system.New server is a 10GB RAM, 10 2.3GHz CPU, 100GB Turbo SSD HD running Windows 2k8 Server cloud server.My initial tests have the servers starting up in half the time the old ones did. I'm not sure how much this will help lag and larger groups but we'll hopefully be able to test that.All the best,-orth

miltonyorkcastle

FREAKIN' SWEET. Merry
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:07:04 am »

FREAKIN' SWEET. Merry Christmas to Layo!

orth

Greetings again,I've decided
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 05:20:00 pm »

Greetings again,

I've decided to make the switch now since the servers are relatively quiet and I'd like to be able to have some sort of testing going on over the rest of the weekend so I can fix things while not being at work.

The transition should not take long at all. Everything is prepped and ready. I'd be surprised if we're down for longer than an hour.  With that said DNS changes may take some time to propagate so you may be better off to use the IP Address to connect to the new servers instead of xora.layonara.com. But test this first too.

The IP Address for the new server will be 173.198.229.123 - So to connect to West you'd connect to 173.198.229.123:5121 and Central/East would be 173.198.229.123:5122

More to come!

-orth

orth

Okay, I'm noticing a bit of
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »

Okay, I'm noticing a bit of quirkiness. Would appreciate if any folks who might have time could connect and go about your business and then let me know if you notice anything off.

orth

Initial tests are complete
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »

Initial tests are complete and things seem to be relatively stable. I'll be keeping an eye on things but everyone's free to log on and have fun.

Teo

For some reason I can't
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

For some reason I can't connect to Central through direct connect... just to be sure, you would put 173.198.229.123.5122 in the IP adress box and layoplayer in the password box? I can connect to West, but it times out.

orth

That's a colon not a period
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 09:36:50 pm »

That's a colon not a period   173.198.229.123:5122

Charm2009

If you log on using the
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 01:16:26 am »

If you log on using the program that connects you directly to the servers, just find your Layonara-Central/Layonara-West Windows batch file in your NWN folder and edit them with the new IP address.

For CENTRAL server:

@echo off
SET NWN_PATH="C:\\NeverwinterNights\\NWN" cd %NWN_PATH%
start /w nwmain.exe +connect 173.198.229.123:5122 +password layoplayer
powershell %NWN_PATH%\\nwn-log-rotator.ps1 %NWN_PATH% logs logs nwclientLog

For WEST server:

@echo off
SET NWN_PATH="C:\\NeverwinterNights\\NWN" cd %NWN_PATH%
start /w nwmain.exe +connect 173.198.229.123:5121 +password layoplayer
powershell %NWN_PATH%\\nwn-log-rotator.ps1 %NWN_PATH% logs logs nwclientLog

Charm2009

The port to the other sever
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:19:16 am »

The port to the other sever is SWEETNESS! And it worked flawlessly :)

RollinsCat

Ditto Charm - jumped from
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 01:48:20 pm »

Ditto Charm - jumped from Central to West, no problems, like buttah! Hats off to Orth!

orth

Just a clarification on the
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:28 pm »

Just a clarification on the automatic cross portal goodness.

It used to always be like this but one day we started noticing it was the reason the modules were crashing. Basically what we found out was that the server process on the outgoing server would be still trying to save the character's file on the hard drive at the same time that the server process on the incoming server was trying to access it. This caused some OS level locking issues which would make the module sad :( and it would go bye bye.

We had to therefore turn it off but we allowed for it to be dynamically set in case we ever found the solution. I figured the speed of the machine now running the modules plus the fact that the drive is faster than the old one may alleviate this issue. So I turned it back on and now we're testing it. So far so good.

A real test may be for a character who carries a ton of stuff on their person as it therefore takes a little longer for that character's file to be saved. We'll have to wait and see. From what I've seen from uptimes, crashes are now fairly rare so if we do crash it may be easy to determine the culprit.

swoop

Off topic to the new
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:16:05 pm »

Off topic to the new server... but what is this program you speak of? You mean I don't have to open the game normally and click past all the logos and try to connect to the old bioware stuff???

orth

The second part of this
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:00 pm »

The second part of this thread where Dorg talks about the batch file for direct connection. http://layonara.com/threads/1286245-got-windows-7-got-powershell-rotate-your-logs-without-glr

Leanthar

Thank you, Orth. Very much
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »

Thank you, Orth. Very much appreciated.

davidhoff

Server to Server port worked
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »

Server to Server port worked great!  That will be a nice time saver.  I'm wondering if we can ride across on horseback now?  Or will that still cause us to become short n stubby?  Just a thought.

Dorganath

davidhoff wrote:Server to
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »

Quote from: "davidhoff"&cid="2755674"

Server to Server port worked great!  That will be a nice time saver.  I'm wondering if we can ride across on horseback now?  Or will that still cause us to become short n stubby?  Just a thought.

I would recommend against it.

They're still separate servers and the problem seems resident in what one server "remembers" about your character and how (and when) the properties imparted by being on horseback get applied.

So play it safe and dismount before portaling between servers.

Charm2009

Well, ummm, ...**plays with
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 02:54:49 am »

Well, ummm, ...**plays with the ponytail as she shuffles her feet*...you see...I a...before the advisement...you know it was just made and all...and uhh...well...I've done it a few times. Back and forth on horseback. But hey! The servers stayed up :)

Dorganath

Charm2009 wrote:Well, ummm,
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:27 am »

Quote from: "Charm2009"&cid="2755683"

Well, ummm, ...**plays with the ponytail as she shuffles her feet*...you see...I a...before the advisement...you know it was just made and all...and uhh...well...I've done it a few times. Back and forth on horseback. But hey! The servers stayed up :)

Hehe!

Well it's not guaranteed that you'll turn into a dwarf when crossing servers on horseback, but the possibility exists.  It seems to have to do, at least in part, with a mismatch between the character's mounted/dismounted state upon crossing and the same character's mounted/dismounted state the last time it was on the destination server since the last reset. It may also be something more related to login lag and how/when the appearance of a mounted character is processed upon login. It's been difficult to reproduce in a test environment, but it's also simple to avoid.

Anyway, the best advice is to not cross servers on horseback. It is pretty much guaranteed to not cause problems.

cbnicholson

As someone who has been
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

As someone who has been dwarfsized by this bug, it's not all bad.  Lana still promised to love DB despite a shortened stature and after having seen all available episodes of the Game of Thrones, Dwarves rock! Seriously though, best to do what Dorg recommends. *nods a few times*

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Brutus_Clawfoot

Super cool! I can't wait to
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »

Super cool! I can't wait to get Mangus to jump into the new gig! Only $40 a month! Long live Layo! You guys rock! Have I mentioned that you guys rock? You guys rock!

-man do I miss this place...

anything