The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Urgent--all my characters are on, and I'm not  (Read 349 times)

Serissa

Urgent--all my characters are on, and I'm not
« on: March 17, 2006, 02:36:29 pm »
When I sign on, all my characters--Ayla Bineau, Ferrit Pandorn, and Sala Stonehill--show up as being online. Each is staying in front of the dragon when I try the individual characters. Even with Serissa1 totally offline, the characters are listed as being online.
  Jako Stonehill, character of Slithy Tove, shows up as being in game when he is not.
  Ash Willo, character of Zelda 111, shows up as being in game when she is not.
  All of these except Ayla have "in another form" instead of the player name on the Server Status Page. Ayla is shown as belonging to "steverimmer", instead of to Serissa1
  I have 2 other computers, assigned to different ports, on which different people play.

s0ulz

Re: Urgent--all my characters are on, and I'm not
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:08:01 pm »
Ferrit began with us on a quest. Then Serissa timed out I think and tried to come back on but with no luck. However during the whole quest time, we had an idle NPC-like Ferrit among us, just standing there. It was really weird and I've never seen it before. Guess the reset wiped Ferrit from west.

orth

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:25:40 pm »
This is still a problem.  Please read this and double check that all the clients behind your network are using different ports:

http://nwn.layonara.com/How%20To%20Play%20Behind%20A%20Firewall

merlin34baseball

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 06:53:18 pm »
Yep I saw Ash Willow by the dragon when I logged in and then she was standing by the fire by hlint, not responding and not listed as a player when I tryed to talk to her I got no response

Serissa

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 08:02:47 pm »
I checked the port assignments again, and the newest computer had somehow reset back to 5020.  I set the port to 5022.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix things.  Is there a way to take off characters still showing as signed on, or do we need to wait until the server resets?

Nyralotep

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:04:55 pm »
As I remember the extra characters will need to be cleaned out of the other players vaults.

OneST8

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 08:08:52 pm »
The characters should be deleted at this time.

The server needs a restart to clear out the b0rked connections though.

Annun Firith

• Followers of Az'atta
    • View Profile
Still Urgent--all my characters are on, and I'm not
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 12:32:52 am »
this is still messed up.

server status says I'm playing Akki, ferrit Pandorn, and Jako stonehill.

No one else on my network has been on while I was on and I know my ports are correct.

I also saw hlint kittens, a see through star nightfall, and heard ronus, the pawnshop and garent's dialogues while in the broken halls.  I have screenshots to prove this was really on my screen and is not just a product of eating the wrong mushrooms.

after I logged server stats says this:
"In another form.
Ferrit Pandorn"

but I'm still playing Jako apparently
"Annun Firith
Jako Stonehill"

I'm also getting other peoples thirst and hunger messages.

Annun

Added: the only character I acctually was playing was Akki.  I don't even think Jako, ferrit, or star nightfall are acctually logged in

OneST8

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
When the problems are happening, simply logging out of the world does not solve the problem. The world needs a restart for the networking bugs to get cleared out. If the server hasn't been restarted all the problems you mentioned will surface and affect not only you but everyone else in random ways.

Have you tried logging in today?

Annun Firith

• Followers of Az'atta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 03:53:54 pm »
This was fixed in a crash last night, but I looked at server stats today and it looks like its happening again, Jako stonehill and ash willo are on and are being played by players other than them.

Rowana_McGregger *
Ash Willo
Ranger (10)

Blackguy *
Jako Stonehill
Fighter (8)

if the proper players of these characters read this, please fix your ports before logging in again.

Zelda1

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 04:00:42 pm »
I keep trying but it changes on its own as soon as I come on. I'm the live bait if you can't tell.

Annun Firith

• Followers of Az'atta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 06:10:23 pm »
Make sure your firewall isn't blocking certain ports, it may be resetting it to the only port it can connect at.

This is causing me strange and annoying problems like... paralysis untill I relog, or hearing and seeing things that are in another area from me.

Zelda1

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
firewall is turned off, and the problems will most likely go away when the server resets...i hope

Serissa

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 01:43:34 pm »
I now know what's happening, but not why, or how to stop it.  Every time one of us signs on, the client port in the nwnplayer.ini script increases by one.  (i.e. from 5020 to 5021).  It can be set back manually, which seems to make the character work correctly and sign off properly.  I have no idea how to get a permanent fix, however.
Serissa

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 05:11:48 pm »
set your port to 5028 *shrugs* or something even farther.  I never use adjacent ports, always like 5021, 5023, 5025.  I'm not sure if I have any reason behind this, but I remember thinking ther was a reason.

Slithy Tove

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 07:22:32 pm »
I set the three "Client Port=" values to 5120, 5123 and 5126 then waited for the server reset.  Appears to be working OK now, although one of the computers did jump up to 5121 on entering Layonara but Serissa reset it immediately to 5120.  I'll keep looking for a permanent fix but this work-around helps for now.  

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 11:14:27 pm »
hmm, let it jump up to 5021.  I bet it won't jump higher.  Though I've frequently been wrong before.

Axodeth

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 04:25:55 am »
    Annun Firith - 3/18/2006  5:53 PM

This was fixed in a crash last night, but I looked at server stats today and it looks like its happening again, Jako stonehill and ash willo are on and are being played by players other than them.

Rowana_McGregger *
    Ash Willo
    Ranger (10)

Blackguy *
    Jako Stonehill
    Fighter (8)

if the proper players of these characters read this, please fix your ports before logging in again.

Yes it was determined that I was being seen as Jako Stonehill, I noticed it when I was in my house and could se that he was friendly towards me like he was around, others mentioned they couldn't send tells to me but we tried sending to Jako and I got the the tell, it was wierd. Mentioned on DM channel that Layo needed a rest probably, no answer but then Layo crashed and all seemed ok. Just thought I would mention it, if theres something I need to change on my comp, let me know.

Axodeth o' de Stonecutter clan