The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Version 3.30 is online!  (Read 1393 times)

Dorganath

Version 3.30 is online!
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »
[SIZE=32]Version 3.30 is online![/SIZE]

This version is a pretty significant update in some ways, and it also requires new HAK files.  Please note that I've restructured the “control” HAK file into two files: a “ctrl” HAK and a “res” HAK for size and management reasons. You will need to download both of these files as well as the latest TLK file in order to enter the game.

[SIZE=-1]http://nwn.layonara.com/downloads/files/layo_resv3r1.rar (HAK)
        http://nwn.layonara.com/downloads/files/layo_ctrlv3r10.rar (HAK)
        http://nwn.layonara.com/downloads/files/layonara_v24.rar (TLK)
[/SIZE]

(NOTE: the All-in-One HAK has not yet been updated)

This update contains some initiatives that we've been working on in one sense or the other for several months, and in some cases nearly a year,, and in particular one far reaching initiative that we hope will improve several long-running ills. I'll mention more on this later, but this one in particular is the result of a collaboration between the GM Team as a whole based on feedback and comments from the community.

For expediency, I want to quickly thank the entire GM Team, the Plot Team, the Project Team and the community for their various contributions, and specifically, I want to thank (in no particular order) Script Wrecked, Alatriel, Rowana, Eorendil, Pankoki, Carillon Guardian-452 and mixafix for their more direct contributions and for saving me a load of time.

And now, onto the meat:

Announcing: Center, Brelin Kingdom, Mistone[INDENT][SIZE=16]Once a town of its own right prior to the Dark Ages, the region of land  once known as Center has seen a resurgence in recent years.  The resettling began with refugees fleeing the destruction and uncertainty brought by the tsunamis that struck the west coast of Mistone. While initially little more than a tent city, Center started to become a crossroads in its own right. Its location along the strategic road between Fort Wayfare and points south helped it to become more than just a transient safe shelter for the displaced. Enterprising merchants set up their tents and wagons, finding the trade and commerce worthwhile.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]As has often been the story of other towns, an inn was built to serve not only those who ended up staying for a long term but also those traveling along the road. The merchant presence likewise became a fixture, drawing not only a banking presence but also facilities for skilled tradesmen. Merchants migrated away from Fort Wayfare, though this wasn't long lamented by residents, who on the whole felt some relief at having less traffic (and fewer “undesirables” lingering around their town. In keeping with this sentiment, Fort Wayfare petitioned Spellgard to “do something about that portal” in the middle of town.  Spellgard agreed, and a team led by Connor Garvill shifted the portal's exit to Center.  With the added traffic through every means, Center began to truly thrive and become a hub of activity of all sorts.   [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]While still essentially a transient settlement, as it doesn't qualify as a town yet, Center has grown beyond the simpleness of its rebirth into a place worthy of note.[/SIZE]
[/INDENT] To address one of the biggest problems with v3, Layonara once more has a single starting area: Center.  Located south of Fort Wayfare and north of Port Hempstead fields, Center and its surrounding areas represent a complete low-level experience for all new characters.  Its status as an unincorporated settlement (at best) makes it open to all races, even those banned from cities and towns throughout the civilized world.  That is not to say that they're welcomed by all, but there is either tolerance or numbness in those who might be considered residents.

Besides the land mass that is Center, the surrounding areas have been remapped somewhat.  Existing areas have been changed and new areas have been added.  

And of course, there are benches.

Along with this, there is a new entry area, which should help introduce new players to the Dragon Storm campaign.

As with many things, it is better seen than described, so please, stop by and have a look.  We're eager to hear your feedback.  As well, why not submit a new character and experience it through new eyes.

And since it is such a big thing, it's worthy of special note that Carillon and Pankoki worked quite hard and diligently to bring the Team's vision and plans for Center to life. It is no small feat they accomplished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With all that said, let's get onto the list...

[SIZE=16]Center:[/SIZE]
 The Center project involves 15 new areas created in or around Center, creating a new hub for the server and completely changing the experience of a first level character entering the game world. Some examples of changes relating to the hub that will help the new character:  
  • New starting     point; characters no longer appear in Port Hempstead or Fort Vehl
  •     West housing portal destination changed from Fort Wayfare to Center
  •     Smaller “Hlint-like” area with benches, facilitating players     meeting up
  •     Safe rest campsite for hanging out
  •     Temple and healer available in the area
  •     New basic craft hall in the area, with merchants available
  •     Conveniently located barn and ox merchant
  •     Low level quests located in the city areas
  •     Message board in craft hall, directing new players to other low     level quests
  •     Low level CNR and spawns placed in areas around Center, allowing new     characters to adventure more easily and safely
  •     Convenient and central bindstone, so older players hanging out can     keep an eye out for newer players and help them reach their graves
  •     New inn with full crafting kitchen, meeting room, and large stage     for player functions and quests
  •     New CNR locations, fishing spots, spawns and creatures in new areas     surrounding Center
  •     10 new scripted quests added. (Most are low level and integrated     into Center, but a few are suitable for more experienced characters)
  •     New Prunillan temple added to West server, in Center
  •     Some merchants and quest NPCs moved from other urban areas to     Center, to facilitate player gathering and usefulness of area
  •     Barn moved to Center from Port Hempstead Fields
[SIZE=16]
[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Other New stuff:[/SIZE]
  • New low-level     undead area tucked away south of Center (go looking for it)
  • New module     entry area on West, replacing The Eye of the Storm area with     something that introduces the plot better. (Note: Characters do not     walk this path in an IC sense. It is more to introduce the player to     the plot and the world's setting.  The information is IC, but the     path is not.)
  • New CNR and     adventuring areas added off of Lake Splendor (you have to look for     them though)
  • Krandor     Hospital guild hall has been added to Krandor [SIZE=10](1)[/SIZE]
  • Dwarven Army     guild has been added to Bloody Gate [SIZE=10](1)[/SIZE]
  • The Coalition     guild hall has been added to the Dapplegreen Tower [SIZE=10](1)[/SIZE]
  • Meeting Room     added to Bydell Castle as a place to learn about and discuss the     Dragon Storm Plot [SIZE=10](2)[/SIZE]
  • “Magic     Mouth” system added.  There are two instances in the Bydell Castle     Meeting Room, and others elsewhere (with more planned).  You'll know     it when you see it.
  • WLDQ Reward     for Daniella Stormhaven [SIZE=10](3)[/SIZE]
  • WLDQ Reward     for Jaelle Thornwood [SIZE=10](3,4)[/SIZE]
  • WLDQ Reward     for Lance Stargazer [SIZE=10](3,4)[/SIZE]
  • WLDQ Reward     for Alandric Vensk [SIZE=10](3)[/SIZE]
  • New poison     type available for crafting: Hallow Wraith Spider poison (causes     chance of spell failure) [SIZE=10](5)[/SIZE]
  • Knight PrC     now available (formerly Purple Dragon Knight) [SIZE=10](5)[/SIZE]
  • System to add     a subrace bias to merchants. This is an initial implementation and     may well change over time. Right now, it's only in effect in     Trelania, and if your character is one of those against whom the     merchants are biased, you'll know what I mean. (Note: This was     requested and done due to semi-recent in-game events and player     actions, so you only have yourselves to blame...and if you think I'm     talking about you, you're probably right. *winks*)
  • Added area     between Lor and Castle Mask to illustrate the distance between them     and the benevolent presence of Raelian forces.
[SIZE=16]Changed stuff:[/SIZE]
  • A few changes made to the Red     Light caverns due to CDQ outcome
  • Rearrangement of some low-end CNR     resourced due to Center and Red Lights
  • Re-tie and remodel of 250 Prantz     to Hurm
  • Re-tie of 260 Prantz to Nith
  • Add mastiff to 117 Fort Llast
  • Remodel of Leringard Arms (121     Leringard)
  • Remodel of 125 Leringard
  • Adjusted/Rebalanced Ice Marches     areas, in part due to quest outcomes
  • Mistone Alliance Scout PrC changed     to Agent of the Realm PrC [SIZE=10](5,6)[/SIZE]
  • Show a few signs of life in the     Hallowlight Forest
  • Add Master Weapon Crafter's Anvil     in Mariner's Hold advanced crafting hall
  • Add Lesser Jewelers Benches to     Creedo and Fort Vehl craft halls
  • Adjust location of trash barrel in     Port Hempstead Hall of Reconstruction
  • Remove Systrian from Hlint
  • Adjust Hlint to follow server PvP     settings rather than being a no-PvP area
  • Add/extend some server logging
  • Add reflections of scabbard/neck     armor customizing options
  • Update/add areas in Kuhl kingdom     to reflect state of campaign plot [SIZE=10](7)[/SIZE]
  • Rename Storan to Shade of Storan     to reflect WLDQ outcome
  • Remove non-functional “metalic”     enchanting bowls from the Lookout Tower
  • Remove (illegal!) scribing and     infusing stations from Prantz craft hall
  • Rename Grannoch temple NPC for     lore reasons
  • Move Temple of Shidaleria from     Lan's Port to Fort of Kings for lore reasons
  • Remove/replace all non-human NPCs     from the Lan's Port Fisherman's Tankard for lore reasons
  • Improve emergency portal in West     and Central entry areas
  •     Merchant Interiors of Fort Vehl, Leringard and Fort Llast have been     updated and made more efficient and user-friendly
  •     Inn in Fort Wayfare downsized and made cozier and more efficient
  •     New roads to Dapplegreen, Port Hempstead, and surrounding areas     created, following Layonara maps more closely
  •     Dark Peaks of the Watcher area outside Fort Wayfare updated and     connected to new cave system
  •     GM Area NPCs set to the Neutral To All faction by default
  •     Some quest areas have been updated and refreshed
  •     Lengthen the amount of time that passes before a permed character is     whisked away by the cut-scene
[SIZE=16]Fixed stuff:[/SIZE]
  • Fix area     tagging in Silkwood Spider Cave
  • Adjust     terrain in The Grand Mountains to attempt to work around tileset     weirdness
  • Adjust     terrain in the Thunder Peaks to attempt to work around tileset     weirdness
  • Place correct     Mithril Golem in the Great Rift: Asunder
  • Fixed     (hopefully!) furniture loading problems for a certain range of     houses on Dregar
  • Fix Citadel     of Toran Enchanting Holy Pool
  • Add missing     Enchanting Holy Pool to Temple of Grannoch on Mistone
  • Close     potentially confusing race condition related to striking a rock of     ore right after a nugget has been broken off
  • Fix Implosion
  • Fix “Point     of Influence” markers related to Arkolio's WLDQ reward
  • Fix     activation and other problems related to Arkolio's WLDQ reward
  • Fix Stort     Pawn Shop
  • Rename     Charles Dawson so that he is from the correct town name
  • Remove buggy     vulnerabilities from certain Plot-specific creatures
  • Remove a     status flag reporting in the combat window when casting Power Word,     Kill
  • Marent's     quest now returns bandages
  • Horses     recovered by the horse merchant should now have their names restored     as well
  • Fix spelling     of name for Cailomel guild hall area
  • Add missing     safe rest areas
  • Journal     entries updated, removing any lasting V3 name change problems and     updating outdated entries (e.g. Haven Mine ogre problem)
  • Fixed     descriptions on statues in Lor due to incorrect references
  • Tweaked     portal code for hopefully better resilience.
[SIZE=16]Notes:[/SIZE][LIST=1]
  • [SIZE=10]New     guild halls are for purchase by their respective guild leaders only.     Anyone else who purchases any of these buildings may forfeit the     purchase price of the hall[/SIZE]
  •     [SIZE=10]The Bydell Castle Meeting Room     is deity-neutral, so paladins of certain deities need not worry     about violating their oaths[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10]Please     work with the GM who ran your WLDQ to obtain any material/item     rewards that may accompany this reward[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10]These     reward include a custom “skin”, which will be applied on login.      For best results, wait until     resting is possible, rest, log out and log back in the first time     you log in after the update.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10]Details     will be up on LORE shortly[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10]Any     current characters with Mistone Alliance Scout levels should contact     the GM team about the options for a partial rebuild.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10]Representations     of the state of Kuhl Kingdom disrupt the route typically taken to     Hilm Castle and The Great Forest (and points beyond).  Taking the     “usual” route will become significantly more dangerous. As well,     there are multiple warnings to this effect in-game, both IC and OOC.      Understand that characters caught adventuring in these areas are     subject to the full consequence that the GM Team can bring to bear,     as would be fitting for the current state of the Kuhl kingdom.  In     addition, the spawns in the Kuhl areas may be overwhelming and     completely unfair.  This is by design, and no Soul Strand losses     will be reimbursed due to the “unbalanced spawn” clause for any     losses in these areas. However, since the GM Team does not wish to     hinder the fun of players by restricting travel to points that could     previously only be reached through the Kuhl kingdom (in a mechanical     sense), an alternate route has been provided.[/SIZE]
So there it is!  As I said above, we're looking forward to everyone's feedback on Center.  It represents many hours of work and collaboration, but it may not yet be as good as it can be.  Let us hear your thoughts if there is anything that you feel is needed, missing or should be changed.

Go forth and enjoy!

Hellblazer

Re: Version 3.30 is online!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »
Very good work there!

Pseudonym

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:42:53 am »
Thank you to everyone involved. Very grateful.

RollinsCat

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:21 am »
the new bay area: fantastic.  loved, nice mapping, nice touches.

Thank you for keeping the pond outside Hemp too.

Center is perfect.

Messenger falcon service: awesome.

also, enjoyed the new look of the bindstone.

Andrew likes the new crafting hall caretaker!

much more but I'm late for work.

overall, the passion behind the work is evident and for that I say: Thank you.

morunas

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:37 am »
Wow! That's a big update :D just glimpsed few things but the Center concept and all the other adds seem awesome! Look forward to find it IC.

Congrats and thanks to all who were involved!

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:54:38 am »
AARGGHH!!! I need at least a few days where I can just play and explore, and I won't get that for weeks! Oh well. At least we'll ahve some fun at the newly remodeled Arms Saturday (Thank you Alatriel and Dorg)!

Chazzler

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:58 am »
Thank you Team :)

Honora

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
A point to the community.

I've picked up on rumblings that "players can't change things" and "everything is set, we're not making a difference in the world". Not from all, but certainly from some. And while the amount of time a really spectacular update like this one takes might make it feel that way...please, everyone, read the changes again. Read how many changes are from WLDQs, CDQs and other player actions. Center was from the community voice, mine included - and here it is, with an excellent and plausible backstory and wonderful new quests. Things can change, and have changed.

You can make a difference. It won't happen overnight, but it WILL happen, if you work with the GMs and other players with an idea. Personally I find the smaller changes just as exciting as the large ones (such as the Red Lights) and I hope some of you will undertake actions to add these little new things that keep Layonara dynamic.

I'm going to get my old lady in to take a look around soon - I'll be looking for you all ;) .

And let's all ask the poor GMs and team members who have been chained to their computers to come and play! We miss you!

Lord Dark

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:50:22 pm »
It's all very nice, but I can't get into Tod's house. I try going into the cave entrance across from the Caring Hope Inn but it only takes me into the Caring Hope Inn again. Once I leave, it puts me in front of the door of the inn once more.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »
Thank you, thank you. I love the new updates and all the convenience it brings. The rise and fall of the tide in one of the new cave is a nice touch!

For the next update, is it possible to add in more houses to purchase? I've been searching and haven't found one yet. The only one seems to be left is located in Whitehorn. Maybe it's already bought by now since I didn't have any trues at that time to buy the house. It would be nice to see more tree houses/stumps/beach huts outside of the city. :)

Lareth

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:21:59 pm »
Big thanks to everyone involved, the new areas look great and I'm looking forward to many fun times ahead :)   Makes me want to start a new character so I can enjoy them all the more properly.

LordCove

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:29 am »
A kudos on the new area's to the Builder. I've only had time to quickly run through a few areas... but I'm still impressed.

The new Centre and starting area with the low level quests is just what was needed.

The re-mapping of Kuhl and the Great Forest is excellent. I'll likely never get to see into Kuhl, but the stretch from Mirtrix to the Great Forest is nice, linking together area's hardly used previously.

Dezza

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »
Ive only managed to view a couple of the new areas but they have been very very well built. Great attention to detail and great attention to Lore detail too! Fantastic!

I loved the fact that there seems to be a high tide and low tide in the Mistone Coastal cave! Amazing!

Well done folks! I tip my hat to you all!

Warchild214

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:33:19 am »
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the update.  The new areas are rich in detail, some neat little quests and the sense of distance between some towns/cities seems more realistic now :),  great work!

Cheers!  *raises cup in salute*

Tanman

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 05:01:24 am »
Thank you to  team for the countless number of hours taken to complete this update.

I am glad that there is a place people can come to mingle and how it is not just  a town of sorts(like Hempstead) but like a 'camp'.

And the tons of other small updates is very good.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 07:47:16 pm »
Loving the new version! The new low level areas are really well done!

Thanks you all for your time and effort.

Spike

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 10:31:35 am »
Good stuff, I might have to stop by soon and check it out.

Link092

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:25 pm »
OMG new stuff! D:

*contemplates abandoning physics for this*