Layonara World Lore > LORE Ideas, Suggestions and Requests

Clarity of Rofireinite Ranks - ATTN: EdTheKet

(1/4) > >>

Gulnyr:
The hierarchy in the Rofirein section of LORE is confusing and unclear.  As a hierarchy, the vertical position of each rank is descriptive of that rank's "power" and position in the chain of command.  If that is considered while examining the hierarchy, one finds that Protectors (the "standard" position of a priest of Rofirein) are on par with Unit Captains (an elevated rank within the Knights of the Wyrm, with plain ol' Knight being the "standard" rank).  That's weird.

Here's the argument I made a little while back:

--- Quote from: Me Somewhere Else ---My understanding of the branches of the Church is that they are similar to the branches in a nation's military. Under normal circumstances, an US Army captain and a US Navy captain most likely aren't going to be dealing with each other. But sometimes they could find themselves together, in which case the Navy captain outranks the Army captain because a Navy captain is equivalent to an Army colonel.

So, in an orderly church such as that of Rofirein, a similar situation seems logical. The branches are separate to conduct their own business for the most part, but in a mixed group it would be clear who outranks whom so that order can be maintained. Thus, Jennara does technically outrank a lot of PC and NPC Clerics, though she would be out of line to order Protectors around within a Temple, say, as they are not directly within her chain of command.
--- End quote ---

An all-in-one chart for THE Church of Order should reflect that orderly concept and display each rank in its appropriate vertical position relative to the other ranks within the Church.  In other words, some space should be added or removed here and there so each branch of the Church can be compared to the others.  That will allow each player of a Rofireinite character to know where his character belongs, and help DMs know how to interact when using certain NPCs.  If there's any need for help determining which rank is where, I'd be glad to offer ideas.

Hellblazer:
might be taken out of context not sure, but I wonder how a non divine touch could outrank those that are touched directly by the divine as to have the power given to them by the deity? We are talking of the church of Rofirein after all, (possibly the others too). It seems logical to assume that even though the clerics might be apart from the military, they are still those closer to the gods themselves, so they would either hold an equal position, or even higher position as the God emissaries to the living and keepers of the faiths.

Gulnyr:

--- Quote from: Hellblazer ---I wonder how a non divine touch could outrank those that are touched directly by the divine as to have the power given to them by the deity?
--- End quote ---

Because that is what rank means.  People who are not blessed with the ability to cast spells may be blessed in other ways.

Also, there is no "military" in the Church.  The Knights of the Wyrm are described as more militant, but that only makes sense for the group whose members are most likely to be going out and mixing it up.

Hellblazer:

--- Quote from: Gulnyr ---Also, there is no "military" in the Church.  The Knights of the Wyrm are described as more militant, but that only makes sense for the group whose members are most likely to be going out and mixing it up.
--- End quote ---

Well in that case it falls back to what I was saying. How can a non  divined touch lead the people in the church? There for, how could a non  divine touch be placed at a higher rank in a church structure, than a  divine touched who was blessed by the gods? The higher the rank the more people under that person. Stretching out a bit here, and sorry to bring RL dogma into it. But it would be like saying that an atheist would be chosen to operate a Christian church. They might be of the same faith in this case, but one is touched by the gods (has shown an extreme devotion to be granted those powers), the other is not. Ranks or not, the touched one would be held in higher grounding within the people of the church and the believers outside of the church, and maybe that is why the standard rank of a priest is higher.

Priest are the ones that deciphers the will of the gods, their voice on the lands to the people who are not divinely touched. They bolster the powers of the gods to Raise the deads that are willing to be raised, and they are the keepers of the faith. In other words they are the authority in a church. It's only normal that because of that notion, they are held to a higher standing than a simple man(or woman).

Now on the other hand, every one knows that the navy promotes faster;)

ycleption:
Are you saying that if I created a level one cleric, I should be able to give orders to someone like Jennara, solely because I can cast divine spells?

I think you are placing too much emphasis on mechanics here. A devout Rofienite fighter may believe that his strength is given to be able to mete out Rofirein's justice, that he has been touched by the divine and given martial prowess - and who's to say that he's wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version