The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lorekeeping  (Read 646 times)

Chongo

Lorekeeping
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:52:28 pm »
[SIZE=18]Lorekeepers [/SIZE] [SIZE=13]Basic Idea: To allow a player interface to record, in the annals of Layonara History, the occurances of every quest they participate in. This interface is set up to match a structure defined by the GM Team and be readily converted into a standard format.  Level of Effort: For the upcoming new version of Layonara in whatever format it comes.  Additional Points: - GM/ Moderator interface to readily transfer the approved histories into an in-game library format. - Player status reward as 'Lorekeeper' when they achieve a certain number of titles, or historical entries, into the system. This shows desire to directly help the team in the development of Layonara's history keeping, and in a community like this, will gather respect without tangible in game reward. - The first approved entry for the closure of that quest would mark the only entry for that point in history, and that would substantiate the player's lorekeeper checkmark.  I always wanted a system like this on my smaller projects but never achieved it. The basic idea was to create a usable library, for new players especially, to research all the great happenings of the past. This would use a standard format that would maintain consistency in roleplay and writing.   The purpose of this is to relieve the extraordinary strain on writers focused on things such as the player handbook or historical forum entries constantly needing updating as the world progresses. The initiative of the players participating is rewarded logically, by making them a lorekeeper of Layonara. The actual impact of this title can vary in how this idea is implemented: - The most ideal interface could use mechanics similar to messenger birds, where the player would input a history in the Lorekeepers forum. The moderators of this system would then proof it, demand applicable fixes, and then check it off for inclusion into the system. This would then get launched into the in-game library, hopefully in a manner that was not a server burden. This library would have annals upon annals, hopefully organized chronologically on bookshelves, or whatever means the dev team figured out how to implement the data. I have to tell you though, some sort of annal system would be awesome. - Another interface would use a special bracket of the forums, similar to CDTs, only set up for an organized chronological format with a bit of flair hopefully. Submission, approval, entry into the actual historical annals. The benefit of this means of implementation is that it won't involve data transfer into the mod. Though it would require it's own page, probably outside of the forums, to really bring attention to the World's lore.  After time, let's say another 4-5 years of Layonara online, these histories become huge. Want to research the rise and fall of Eon as the players directly saw it in GM quests? Search the great library. It would have a significant impact on the history building of this world.  The means of doing this right now is using the LORE system, guys like Ed writing it all up, or through CDT entries. CDT entries are private affairs really, and are not organized in a manner to allow players to 'peruse' the histories. LORE, and Ed... these are means that put additional strain on the Layo Team and ultimately never develop fully in the detail these major occurances could be documented. With all the balls the team is constantly juggling, using a system that encourages player initiativewhile retaining GM oversight really develops more possibility in that area.[/SIZE]

Leanthar

Re: Lorekeeping
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:07:03 pm »
I have moved this to this forum. The reason is that LORE is the likely spot that this sort of system would fit. I know we have plans for something like this (though not what you have described here) for things that are in the works a long ways down the road. LORE is the logical place to start. OneST8 can give his input if it should fit somewhere else.

This is not an easy undertaking and will take quite some time to set up properly...and then getting this to work in game via the database pulls and formatting for books and such... huge task.

Nice idea and something I would support with an oversight to watch for inappropriate entries, inadequate writing abilities, proper english...and the list goes on. :) The oversight alone would take 4-6 people at the very least, probably a lot more.

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:45:45 am »
I like the idea too. You could then also get different perspectives on the same event if two people write about it.

Pen N Popper

RE: Lorekeeping
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:58:58 am »
Feel free to begin practicing your techniques immediately: The Dragon's Whisper would very (very very) gladly publish written accounts of GM or personal quests.
  I really like the idea. Clearly I have failed to establish anything that others actively participate in. Perhaps some discussion as to why that is, for I would be grateful for advice. Would the PC Lorekeepers respond better to GMs? Certainly it's not an ingame interface issues as they can write their stories on parchments now. Is it the lack of reward for PCs going to the effort of sharing a tale?

Weeblie

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:11:11 am »
Some people are already writing (excellent) accounts of GM quests in their CDTs.

Of course... That's only OOC info. :)

Pen N Popper

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 05:12:35 am »

Could the interface be a bookshelf in The Great Library?  Players put a written parchment into a bookshelf.  Once placed in there, they become persistent (just like a player housing placeable).  Unlike other persistent storage, though, items cannot be removed.  This would allow writings to be submitted and others to read them (by simply examining the document).

Perhaps there is a row of bookcases labeled with subjects (like a real library).  The player would put the document into the appropriate category.

If these bookshelves showed up as parchment folders on a GM's avatar LORE page, they could edit them offline for inappropriate stories.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 06:31:35 am »
Of course, every time you open the shelf...

The server creates those parchments, and goes caput.

Other than that, though, this sounds like a great idea.

Leanthar

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:50:13 am »
@stephen, what? I am not aware of this crashing bug. Have you posted this before? Do you have some screenshots?

EdTheKet

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 06:51:01 am »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 10/1/2006  3:31 PM  Of course, every time you open the shelf...  The server creates those parchments, and goes caput.
 Do I sense a hint of sarcasm? If so it's misplaced.

Leanthar

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:52:16 am »
Yeah, I sense it as well Ed....heavy handed sarcasm at that.
  Sad if you ask me.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 06:53:11 am »
Stephen, please elaborate.  I currently store parchments without known issue as do others, as far as I know.

If you mean server lag by opening the chest, remember this is on low-traffic East.

Chongo

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 02:01:10 pm »
Anyhow!

I'm glad the key folks like the idea, and if you need any additional help brainstorming or organizing the interface from: Player -> GM/ Moderator -> Library Integration... lemme know.  that said, I'm not surprised similar ideas are being cracked as the game progresses to v4.

I'd guess it'd take about the same effort as player applications take, with fewer entries but more time spent in critical evaluation.  That and it'd take some nifty scripting to have it run smooth.  But that shouldn't be trouble given present company.  I'm guessing there are several options as to how it could be integrated in the actual module.  Maybe there's something less straining then a book per entry?

It'd be neat to have a library in game that folks could research at.  You know, slip in the occasional GM entry in the mass of books that holds some sort of secret that might be deciphered.  Put an intelligence check on being able to read the books.  All that fun stuff.

But there has to be a way to start documenting, and really building, the massive history that major quests have unveiled.  It really builds the Layonara product into a richer and more complex idea.

Fun fun.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 07:08:40 pm »
Sorry, I've been gone all day... Yikes. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic; I was referring to the lag issues that could happen when creating and checking all the parchemtns.

I figure if a hundred gem dusts with ten or so lines of information to check can impact the server, what about a hundred scrolls with however many hundred or thousand words on them?

My line of reasoning is: Player with lots of stuff logs on, the server crashes checking it all (lag). Plausible to assume that player opens chest, which creates the items inside (from the way I understand how it's been explained before), and the server crashes checking it all.

I really do think this is a great idea, though, if there's some way to, say, just put the un-pick-up-able items there like you do with the books currently in the Great Library. Researching things in game would be awesome; those wanna-be Loremasters like Pyyran could actually go somewhere in game to find the information they spout.

I did not intend to imply any sarcasm, and for putting across that impression, I apologize.