The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Monk Class Page - Add "Ki" Disclaimer  (Read 858 times)

Acacea

Monk Class Page - Add "Ki" Disclaimer
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »
Monk still has the default description on the class: 
Though they don't cast spells, monks channel a subtle energy, called ki. This energy allows them to perform amazing feats, such as healing themselves, catching arrows in flight, and dodging blows with lightning speed. Their mundane and ki-based abilities grow with experience, granting them more power over themselves and their environment. 
Perhaps we should copy the WM disclaimer to the bottom of the monk page: 
Note: The term "ki" should be considered an OOC description, and does not refer to any sort of magical, divine, or supernatural power; characters do not channel ki, nor does ki exist as any sort of energy in itself. Any players who do choose to use the term as part of their RP should recognize that the ability to use "ki" based feats or abilities is the result of years of practice and extreme focus and concentration, leading to supreme muscle and nerve control. We prefer that "ki" be not used in this context at all.
Although... in my opinion, I think taking the nuclear route of "no one's anything ever works x way" is unnecessarily restrictive - that the monk (or any class) description should be about the core necessities of the class and leave room for everyone's fluff. I think sometimes we react too hard the other way in response to people using things unexpectedly, and shut out the the possibility of things we approved of at one time, heh.

Rowana

I will update with the same
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:46:01 pm »

I will update with the same note and edit the original description to remove as many possible confusions as I can. Obviously I can't change skill names. I believe Ed's correction was specifically in reference to the word 'Ki' and the cultural references as well as material that's very commonly used in other proeprties. Rather, the imagination aspect is usually fine so long as we make sure to steer clear of certain references.

Aditional note: At some point when I can dig up the time, Monk is getting a more Layo-centric description, as all classes eventually will (some of which have been done).

~row

Acacea

Thanks! Seemed simplest for
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:38:40 pm »

Thanks! Seemed simplest for consistency, hehe

anything