The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Playing Kenku  (Read 496 times)

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Playing Kenku
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:37:18 pm »
I think they'd be fun to play as a character, besides they make funny noises when you're beating the tar out of them.

Lots of people that like the asian influence of game items would love to have a chance to play them, I'd believe.

Anyhow, just seems like they would be neat race for player characters. Besides, I think in some edition of DnD, they were playable.

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
RE: Playing Kenku
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:58 am »
You mean to tell me that nobody wants to play a Kenku? Darnit, my plan of making a white haired Kenku dressed all in white that fights his black haired Kenku dressed all in black, archnemesis, is quashed. Arrrrgh!

Don't take me too serious, I just came off an 18hr work day...I'm giddy (or "MAD").

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Playing Kenku
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:14 pm »
I dunno. Playing a Kenku might be pretty nifty, but Kenku are NOT good. Period. Those things... They're twisted crow-people! It's like having an NG Baalor!

Though it would still be so cool.

Faldred

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 5/5/2006  3:35 PM

It's like having an NG Baalor!

Though it would still be so cool.

Yeah, but could you imagine the ECL?

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:07:37 pm »
May be true but Orcs, goblins, and drow aren't typically good either. I see lots of those played.

Filatus

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:58:16 pm »
Kenku are a lot less human than any other playable race on Layonara. They have no history what so ever on integrating with human society. It probably would take a plot event to make them playable in human society.

For example, the introduction of brownies was instigated by a worldevent.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 03:51:39 am »
This would be cool, because it would be fun.  Don't think it will happen and if we're going to have a new small playable race my vote is going to the kobold... for similar reasons.  Come on, the kobolds in NWN are cute!  It would also be fun to play some sort of reptillian creature that uses the troglodyte appearance.

Regardless, I think all these desires (including my own) are more motivated by a desire to walk around as something fun looking more than any need or niche for a certain race to fill.

Heck, I think it'd really be cooler overall (and for a longer periods of time than "wow look I'm a kenku, aren't I cute?  squwack sqwack") would be elflings *nods* the offspring of a pairing between an elf and a halfling.  Tall slim halflings with elven features and devilishly good looks that are twice as curious as usual halflings, just as playfull and have an even longer lifespan *cough*arcane trickster*cough*

Yosemite Sam

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 05:42:53 am »
    Deekin, Deekin!

ZeroVega

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:20:09 am »
    Sorry folks, but my bid for the next playable subrace goes to Genasi. Can you immagine? Fire, Water, Air, Earth, some Quasi and Para Genasi as well! Yeah, I'll hold out for them. :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
    genasi would be cool, but they're really too rare to have as a playable race generally open to everyone unless you want to have a strict limit of like, 1 or 2 characters at a time, or 1 per month approved.

Due to the... uh... difficulties of the pairing genasi are usually born for some specific purpose, at least their conception has to be premeditated and the appropriate precautions/preparations taken otherwise the chances of the offspring surviving (and sometimes one of the partners depending on the specifics of the pairing) are very low.

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 12:19:08 pm »
    As I'm not much into powergaming, I rather not see the Genasi as a player character.

I'm not too sure if the Kenku have cool powers. I don't believe so...not that I have a book on the race.

darkstorme

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 11:50:49 am »
    Nah, I'm for Kobolds as well - look at the accountant kobold from Nodwick!

And if you don't know what Nodwick is... shame on you.  Shaaaamme!

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 02:12:22 am »
    Kenku are naturalistic, neutralistic fey-folk, actually.  They'd be about on par with wemics in both weirdness and the "insidious-meter".  About as evil as your standard oxen.  At least on Layonara.  In other campaigns they worship demon prince Pazuzu.  Originally taken from eastern mythology, they're more like wisened and altruistic sages in Japan.

CHAzz

• View Profile
      « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 11:41:54 am »
      heh, at this rate, when NWN2 comes out, the future of humanity on Layonara is looking grim indeed.

anything