The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: World Leader Listing  (Read 437 times)

Acacea

World Leader Listing
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:37 am »
Currently the World Leader page here - LORE: World Leaders Index - lists only links to character pages, not really to anything remotely related to what role they fill.

I suggest instead of linking to the character pages, ones for their roles be made instead. In some cases I doubt the name would even be known, but the 'title' or reputation name would be. For instance, instead of linking to Lalaith's character page, the link would read "The Veil" and the page would speak of rumors and shadows, and to whom they would apply...her role deserves to be known in some circles; should who exactly she is be a mystery to more 'common' people who hear of it? Eldárwen's would read "Beloved of Lucinda," and explain the role as sort of the face of magic, a diplomat of the Weave, so to speak, and likely some rumor or another of how it came to be. Likewise with the Bird Lord, the Shining Hand, one of Mist's Tides, etc.

It doesn't have to be the full writeup - why would that be known, anyway? Just a summary of the common knowledge and in which circles it applies.

My point is that having a World Leader list is a good resource if these characters are supposed to have had some impact on the world, but the common knowledge of them is not going to be their age/race/class/domains, etc. These people aren't known for their stats but rather the responsibilities they have taken up, so the list would likely be better served reflecting that. ;)

Dorganath

Re: World Leader Listing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:24:29 am »
I could be wrong, but I thought that part of the hang up here was that some WLs don't necessarily want their title or role to be known in either an IC or OOC sense beyond those who should know it already.

I can think of at least one whose deeds would be rumored at best to 99.9999% of the population.

Anyway, I think it was requested once to have WL's submit a title and/or short description of their status, but that seemed to fall flat.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:09:03 am »
The problem to me is why should their -names- be known but not the rumors of a role? We shouldn't be looking at the list and going "oh that Brac'ar I've heard of him, I wonder what he does," but rather the other way around, right? "I've heard of some shadow girl, I wonder who SHE is." You hear of things done before you hear of those doing them.

"Most Famous Assassin In World: An entire royal family was eliminated with not a guard blinking... in one night a kingdom was turned on its head and not a soul can be presented as responsible, as if a ghost had snatched their lives in their sleep."

You see how a reputation is made without a name being shared, especially in a case where it's really important that it not be. :P

I know Ed requested that they send him stuff for the handbook and all that, but I figured if they already -have- the status it already has a name and place and all that. Considering what is required to be approved for one, a paragraph seemed easy enough!

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:45:31 am »
Oh, I agree.  I suppose that wasn't clear in my last response. I guess I was saying it needs to kind of be up to each WL as to what he/she wants to be known about the character in a general sense, and as far as I know, this has never been done.

anything