The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: "Called Shot" with ranged attacks?  (Read 274 times)

Warchild214

"Called Shot" with ranged attacks?
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:09:15 am »
Just had an idea run thru my mind and thought I would share.

Is it even possible to have specific ranged attacks comb. with Called Shot feat?

i.e

Leaf calls ranged shot at "eye" of enemy..If he hits, the creature would suffer 1d? rounds of blindness?, If Critical hit, 3d?

called shot (knee) - creature slowed 1d? rounds

- other scenarios with other body parts could also apply.

I know that to hit an "eye" or other key body part with a missle would require a high roll, as it should be, seeing that the area is a very small target.

maybe some prereqs. too (bow/crossbow) Weap. focus/Point Blank Shot/Rapid shot/reload, etc. to indicate the accuracy needed to achieve such a shot?

just an idea for whatever its worth...

Guardian 452

Re: "Called Shot" with ranged attacks?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:03:49 am »
Called Shot - Legs does slow the enemy now (reduce movement speed by 20% and a -2 DEX)

The existing Called Shot Feat DOES work with a bow, just to make sure you know that. :)

I had tried Called Shot with Enzo many years ago when he was in the low teens for level. I was very displeased with its results for him... everything had too high of a DC to make it work. I ended up asking for a re-roll of the level and took something else ( improved crit longbow I beleive).

I doubt NWN allows for added called shots. But these sound like cool ideas for the MMO :)

But perhaps some special arrows we could make that caused blindness... that might be better and able to be made in NwN.

G-452

Warchild214

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:26 am »
Thanks Guardian 452, I did know that bow worked with the Called shot, just didnt know if it could be tweeked to add this. It was late when I wrote that and yea I was thinking more about that special arrows could maybe be crafted and would make said "Called Shot".  Blindness/Slowed, etc.

good idea about maybe having something like this for the MMO, many possibilities there.

Cinnabar

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:30 am »
IIRC, there is an arrow that causes (temporary) blindness "Shoot the Moon" (available in drops).

Warchild214

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:17:31 am »
I was suspecting that some arrows were already created with some of these special attacks in mind.  Just havnt heard of any until now.   Thanks for the info friends

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31:49 am »
http://forums.layonara.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=119992
They used to drop fairly frequently, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:46:20 am »
They are still found on Dregar, I found some of them this month on two spawns so , they are still out there, but must be rarer now.

the come in stacks of 4 arrows and if i remember well they have a level req of 17

Guardian 452

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:42:19 pm »
Shoot the Moon (arrows)

DC-18 25% blindness for 3 rounds.
I doubt many things worth shooting them at will fail, and even if they do it will only work 25% of the time?

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:06 pm »
Called shot has worked with Bows for quite some time. I use it alot. But one would also think that on some creatures, and eye shot would leave an arrow in the brain.  Wouldn't that be death for most creature types?  Its just a small orb fluids, nothing that would stop a penetrating arrow.  Knowing that something like that is probably not possible through these mechanics, blindness should last until it is healed.  So maybe 50% cover on the good guys and loss to dexterity (Stumbling around due to increased pain, loss of balance with loss of eye)  But then I could be going too deep here and is bored for something to pick apart. :P

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »
Called Shot like Knockdown, I think is calculated by the Attack Bonus vs Discipline Check and some other factors as well?
So the higher your AB is, the better the chance for you to get say a horribly strong foe (like a great forest's forest giant or some such).

I have used Called Shot as Görm to give at least a -6 to attack rolls on foes, the -20% to movement speed is not cumulative I presume, and even that I have not examined my logs, I could say he hits a high Armor Class foe easier when he's had 3 called shot: legs through to a foe.

So yeah, it's a useful feat :)

Disclaimer: The above might be rambling and somewhat out of topic 8)

Guardian 452

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:39 pm »
Im sure if Enzo took called shot today he would have much more luck withit using a bow, than he did in his low teens.

The arm hits do stack and the leg hits dont btw.

Warchild214

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 06:21:25 am »
well, maybe something to look at down the road then..

decisions...decisions.....

Thanks