The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Aa's Arrows of death  (Read 1248 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Aa's Arrows of death
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 06:59:25 pm »
At the risk of sparking that old....power of casters vs. power of combative classes argument...

No worries! I wasn't speaking of class level power, but of character level power. I see no issue with a 20th level character, regardless of build, multi-class, pure class, type of class, etc, having an ability with a DC of 30+ attached to it. In other words, regardless of where the ability came from, if the PC is of a sufficient character level, in this case 20th, the DC should be fitting and the ability should be useful. DCs around 30 are fitting for a 20th level character. That's across the board for me, not just with this one ability.

But as we are discussing this one particular ability rather than archery-class improvements or NWN improvements **shamelessly pokes at Acacea** or even appropriate character level DCs as a whole, I agree (with the thread originator and even Dorg ;) )that the ability could use some tweaking, and giving more DC umph seems appropriate to me.

I'll leave it at that, as I've definitely said more than my piece, heh.

Acacea

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 08:36:58 pm »
The comments regarding improving archers in general were direct responses to points made in favor of Death Arrow's improvement due to the sacrifices ranged fighters make, such as coup de grace and crit ranges, suggesting that they were more applicable in offering improvements to ranged combat as a whole rather than an elven PrC. It was not to dismiss as a whole the other arguments for raising, only mentioning that some of the reasons for it could be better spread elsewhere, and that an extremely high DC in comparison to a pure build was perhaps unwarranted.

Edit for clarification - by pure build I do not mean that multiclasses (particularly PrCs) should always suffer grossly in DCs simply because they have more than one class - I was in this case referring to a "dedicated" class devoted to one area rather than a PrC focused on blending more than one instead of taking the best of either.

stragen

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

Milty offered quivering palm for comparison, it has a DC of 10 + 1/2 (class) level + Wis modifier. The key though is that it's tied to a stat which does not provide an attack bonus
[\\quote]

I would suggest that using the Monk formula would be fair for a once a day ability. So yes it would start off weaker, but end up stronger. Which stat? Even wisdom makes sense.

Otherwise use something like DC 20+1/3 AA level