The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Animal behavior being more akin to normal animal behavior  (Read 2316 times)

Riven

Animal behavior being more akin to normal animal behavior
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:16:58 pm »
A lot of animals attack the player, even when in real life those same animals would flee. Examples include deer, birds, skunks, even black bears and cougars (I live in the mountains of Colorado and have encountered black bears many times, and cougars several times - they always flee!). It would be great if a player can choose whether or not to hunt these animals, rather than be forced to fight and slay them.

The following users thanked this post: Chazzler, Hellblazer

Hellblazer

Re: Animal behavior being more akin to normal animal behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:16:25 am »
They flee maybe because it's you :P But there's a enough reports every year of cougar attacks or black bear attacks to know that they don't always flee. Then there are these

Deer attacks

Birds attack

So it's not as cut and dry.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:19:04 am by Hellblazer »

The following users thanked this post: Riven

orth

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 12:35:41 pm »
This would pretty much render Animal Empathy and Mass Calming moot.

You can attribute the hostile animals as ones that are territorial/angry/protecting young etc. The ones you don't see are the ones who have ran away upon hearing you ;)

Riven

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:02:12 pm »
OK, good points, all!
here's another suggestion:
the animals have a territory. If the PC runs outside that territory then the animals don't pursue.
of course, i'm not a coder, so I have no idea if this is an easy or difficult task.
And if all the animal killing doesn't bother others, then it's a moot point.

orth

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:56 pm »
Yeah that's not an easy to thing to code.

Animal killing is something we just work around RPing. Druids, animal priests, rangers, any animal lovers all go out of their way to RP working around it. Some cast darkness, some cast word of faith, some go invis/stealth, some end up killing them and just RP that they were sick or their numbers were high and natural order of man hunting them was necessary.

Riven

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »
Thanks for clarifying! I can work with that!

anything