The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Dead magic zone  (Read 573 times)

morunas

Dead magic zone
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:16:12 am »
Was wondering... is the dead magic concept used in Layo? I guess it's not coded in NWN but Spell Failure applies to any kind of casting (arcane and divine) right?

Just guess it could be interesting to add it to some more complex quests if not used already :)

It has some good RP potential, such as mages feeling "weak" and sprouting desires to be able to better face those threats.

xsweetpeaxs

Re: Dead magic zone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:53:45 am »
There are dead magic zones. Morunas was actually close to them when he was on one of mixafix's quests :) It's not only mages that feel weak in those areas, but majority of spellcasters. I haven't and won't solo those area. ;)

morunas

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:38:23 am »
Great! And what about players having the possibility to create such? I mean would be interesting, if previously known that some foes heavily rely on casters... to be able to conjure a dead magic area where the adventurers will be prepared for it while the foes won't :P

Pibemanden

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:41:08 am »
The no magic setting only works against the players. That is if you were able to create a no magic area the creatures inside it would still be able to cast while you couldn't

Alatriel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:06 am »
While obviously we've stated that dead magic zones do exist already in Layonara, I do like the idea of people actually rping out how that dead magic zone makes them feel- but that's not really a nwn suggestion, and it's up to the players.  It's not something that you can enforce, only hope for and foster and encourage when you see it happening.

morunas

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:59 am »
Well I like to see the RP and the game mechanics the most meshed-up possible :P

So it's nice when a party delineates a strategy and then is able to execute and get results from it even without the presence of a GM.

Like the following simple scenario: a scout from the party is sent to spot who's amongst some detected foes and try to see if there are any/many mages. When he reports back the party decides to set mages to deadmagic the area and archer down the mages, while the melees wait at the flanks to get the non-mage foes out of guard.

Pibemanden

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:24 am »
Yes that is all fine in theory, but that is just not how the nwn engine works... You can not create a no magic effect in the engine we are using that works for spawns

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:47 am »
Just for clarity...

We have both Wild and Dead magic zones that are permanently designed into the modules.  We also have a system where a GM can drop down a random and temporary Wild or Dead magic zone, which can be fixed through PC action or just fade away naturally. I could go into the nature of these temporary disturbances, but I'm not sure that has been released to the public.  Suffice it to say, they're a semi-regular occurrence within the Cosmos, though not necessarily "common."

There is currently no protocol for "summoning" or creating a Dead or Wild magic zone by PCs.  It is unlikely that there will be any such protocols created.

As has been stated, Dead and Wild magic zones only affect PCs.  Typically, the creatures that reside within such zones have been crafted specifically with this in mind, however you will see them sometimes use "spells" and/or spell-like abilities.  What is actually happening here is they are using a natural ability, not a spell.  Many creature abilities exactly mimic a spell or spell effect even if they are not actually spells. In order that these work as intended, Wild and Dead magic zones will not affect NPCs.  It's not a matter of them "cheating" but rather an acceptable compromise so that their abilities work properly.  

When there is a temporary Wild or Dead magic zone, the above statement is not always true. While a GM may strive to keep the build of creatures in mind for the placement of these zones, sometimes we forget or misunderstand what was there. Anyway, the point is that it should not be assumed in an IC sense that Wild and Dead magic zones only affect PCs and not NPCs. From an IC perspective, Dead or Wild magic affects everyone and everything.

For further reference, refer to this thread:

http://forums.layonara.com/layonara-server-rules/185892-dead-magic-areas.html

It contains a lot of questions, answers and statements regarding wild and dead magic.

morunas

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:12:41 am »
Heh wow :P impressed!

Is there anything you haven't thought of yet o.O?

Thumbs up! ;)

Pankoki

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:34:36 am »
Quote from: morunas

Is there anything you haven't thought of yet o.O?

A forum system that puts all repeat questions or re-suggestions under one thread. Or a really good forum search utility.

morunas

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:43:45 am »
A forum system that puts all repeat questions or re-suggestions under one thread. Or a really good forum search utility.

Hahaha indeed :)