The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Demon Card Discussion/Balancing/Ideas  (Read 935 times)

orth

Demon Card Discussion/Balancing/Ideas
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
Please post any discussion you have on the Demon Cards.  We will submit them to the programmer and see if he's up for taking any into account.  There is no guarantee of this though.

Talan Va'lash

RE: Demon Card Discussion/Balancing/Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
The potion of heroism card, instead of just making creatures better, makes them invulnerable.  They take no damage for the duration of the card and are even immune to assasins and scorched earth (which is supposed to remove all creatures/cards from play.)

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 5/27/2005  10:34 PMThe potion of heroism card, instead of just making creatures better, makes them invulnerable.  They take no damage for the duration of the card and are even immune to assasins and scorched earth (which is supposed to remove all creatures/cards from play.)

No it just gives them 50 more hitpoints. They will not show up as injured before those extra 50 hitpoints are lost. Also it only makes the creature immune to one assasin or scorched earth. The next one you use on it will work. I actually think this potion is fine the way it is and a great help for the few people who actually play creature decks.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
Fire Elementals.

The damage these creatures deal when they die is enormous. It's over 100hp which means that if you manage to get one of these creatures to the opponents end and it dies, you have a certain win. The only ways to kill these without them exploding is using either an assassin or a scorched earth card.

I think an interesting solution for this would be lowering the damage they do on death to something around 25 HP and then maybe add an sacrifice option for them which would kill the creature but raise the damage the explosion does to around 40 or so. This would still be strong against other creatures, but would not be an insta win. Still, having the ability to force the elemental to die might be a bit too strong, so maybe just keep it at the same damage dealt regardless on the way it dies.

Or then the damage the explosion does could simply be lowered substantially.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
Mind Control.

This card is still too strong. It's cost should be raised by at least one more generator, or maybe change it so that using the card will actually destroy one of your generators.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
The damage that the Fire Elemental deals should be set to 50, divided among nearby creatures only, or like Rev suggested, only 25 to the Avatar/nearby creatures. Turning 'friendly fire' on would be good aswell, as it would make players think before sending their elementals, and actually play smart.

Mind control... this card's power is too unbalancing as it is, it should probably cost 2 + creature's casting cost to be played, or like Rev suggested, sacrificing one of your own generators, but reducing the cost to the same of the target's casting cost.

I believe that the game still needs creatures with specific abilities, such as immunity to spells, immunity to specific spells, such as Assassin, Scorched Earth, Mind Control, etc., creatures that 'reflect back' spells cast at them, creatures that deal damage to the player casting any spell on them, and so on.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
How about an expansion set with say 25 or 50 new cards.
Maybe with expansions released every once and awhile the game will become more popular.

Fista

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
    expansion sets would be cool.. "Creatures 2nd Edition" sounds good ^^ anyway, i also think you should make creature decks more popular somehow . playing against a spell deck is boring..

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:00:00 pm »
    okay, in creatures, when forced to discard a card, the game makes you discard anything but a generator, unless all you have in your hand is generators.  so, for instance, if I have a generator next in line to be discarded, and I am forced to discard, instead of the generator being discarded, the next non-generator card is.  in my humble opinion, that is retarded.  if the generator is in line to be discarded, it should be discarded.

ShrubberyJSC

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
      miltonyorkcastle - 8/31/2005  10:00 PM

okay, in creatures, when forced to discard a card, the game makes you discard anything but a generator, unless all you have in your hand is generators.  so, for instance, if I have a generator next in line to be discarded, and I am forced to discard, instead of the generator being discarded, the next non-generator card is.  in my humble opinion, that is retarded.  if the generator is in line to be discarded, it should be discarded.

I could be horribly wrong, but isn't the discarded card randomly chosen?

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
        • Followers of Xeen
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
      Nope.  It's the card farthest to the left in your "hand".

muaddib

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
      I like the discard the way it is and if any of you have ever gone against a deck like aleisters you would understand why.

I think there is a bug with mind control thing because some times when the creature is fighting and you take them over they will continue to fight the creature that they were fighting even if the are both on the same side then. They wont attack your avater though. And for mind control being over powered i dont think it is. I usually only keep one or two in my deck and its mainly for at the begining when i have no craetures to summon or to slow down an attack of 2 or more creatures and i have no creatures to summon.

And another bug i think is when the witch that as 3/1 and costs 1 generator to play i cant remeber its name but in the desciption it says if it deals damage it switches sides but it doesnt. I could be wrong i havent fought it that many times but i have never seen it switch in the few times i have.

I think the game is fine as it is except for a few bugs and new cards would be great.

Acacea

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
      *Shifty.* I've lost to my own Chaos Witches before. It can't be some bug that ONLY chooses me to work with, right? :)

muaddib

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
      Whenever Aliester would play his it would keep attacking me and never switch to him unless it did less damage to him and i didnt see it.

muaddib

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
      Can we get a card emporium on central the lag on west makes it hard to play.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
      yes, I have found that the Chaos witches almost never "switch sides" like it says they're supposed to in their decription.  I think that needs to be fixed, or their generator cost needs to be increased.

Also, I agree with Talan about the Heroism potion (it also protects from one Life Drain as well) and the Holy Vengance spell also does the same, despite the fact that neither of those cards have the said effects in their descriptions.

Either the generator cost of the card needs to be increased, or those extra effects taken away.  The counter argument is that the potion/spell only lasts two rounds.  As it turns out, a Bugbear Berserker with a Potion of Heroism, which can be played in the third round (Bugbear cost = 2, Heroism = 1), can kill an avatar in the two rounds it will take to slay the monster using two Assasins, an Assasin and a Scorched Earth, or an Assasin and a Life Drain.

I don't know about you, but this seems a wee bit over-powered.

Khromag

• View Profile
        « Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 04:25:00 pm »
        Put some card players (with new Uniques you can win from them) in other taverns and inns around Layonara.

I also like the idea of an emporium on central too (same base NPCs there)! Lag on west is killer when playing Creatures.

Maybe (expansion set wise)........................

Elemental Set: lesser elementals (with a full range like angels/undead/animals/etc)
          Air Elemental - Cost 1 - 1/1 creature - sacrfice to increase attack speed of other elementals
          Water Elemental - Cost 2 - 1/1 creature - decreases the movement/attack rate of nearby enemies
          Earth Elemental - Cost 3 - 2/2 creature - grants Armor (higher defense) to nearby elementals
          Fire Elemental - Cost 4 - 3/2 creature - increases the accuracy of nearby elementals

Time Rift - Cost 5 Spell - Both players (but not creatures paralyzed next round (may not play cards and do not get a draw or discard)

Ice Storm - Cost 4 Spell - All creatures in play are slowed for 2 rounds

Blaze of Glory - Cost 4 Spell - target Creature's attack, defense, and HP are doubled for 2 rounds then the creature dies.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
        I've found some pretty nasty combos, orth. Do you want me to post them here or PM them to you?

As for the requests about an expansion pack, are we using Adam Miller's Demon Cards 3?

// Update \\\\

I was hoping to see the effect that summoning a Dragon has on your own creatures equal to Assassin, or Scorched Earth. As it stands right now it's a nearly unbeatable combination. Even if the possibility of Mind Control, Assassin, Scorched Earth, or even a Warp Reality stopping the effects, it is still way too powerful to beat. Considering how easy the two cards are to get as well, I think this needs to be suggested to the programmer.

orth

Re: Demon Card Discussion/Balancing/Ideas
        « Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 10:05:37 am »
        Yes 8bit we're using the latest Adam Miller cards.  I've never even really looked at the code for the cards, so I'm not sure there is anything I can do about nasty combos save for making cards unavilable, but feel free to PM me details.

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Demon Card Discussion/Balancing/Ideas
        « Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 10:31:24 am »
        Bugbear Berserker + Herosim Potion = Dead Dragon.  *snickers*  

Now, a Dragon with a Heroism Potion....  =P