The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Eye of the Soul and Deity  (Read 186 times)

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
Eye of the Soul and Deity
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:00:00 am »
Could we add a property to the eye of the soul that tells you the deity of the person the eye is used on?

If this information would be too much it could be changed to at least give the information on what your deity thinks of the deity of the target.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
RE: Eye of the Soul and Deity
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:15:00 am »
sorry about that... dident thank Aragen would do that to ya.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:26:00 am »
Not blaming you. I knew Aragen was hostile to Ilsare but didn't know Mith followed him and the information on it was not available in game. We were in a hurry so I made a judgment call. Stuff like this happens.

Still I feel that if a cleric would prepare to raise somebody whom her deity disfavors, she would know it before the ceremony was complete and thus would be able to stop it before going trough with it. This is why I think the information should be available by using the eye.

If we expect our clerics to be responsible in their actions they should be given the necessary knowledge to make the decision.

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Agree wit Rev here. Don't gods talk to their clerics? So if Lucinda saw saw Celgar atemting to rase a paladin of Toran or Croath with out him knowing wouldn't she say "Hey, such and such  is a follower of one of some one who I hate?" BUT not give out information on what that char's faith is, so people don't run about trying to meta game faiths.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
What about the "Bless Test" *shrugs*
  Granted, you have to think ahead, but it seems a fine indicator of friendliness. 

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 01:39:00 pm »
While I have nothing against the Bless test I can't see it as a better RP solution to the problem than the eye.  The cleric casts a spell to whole area. How would the cleric know who the spell effected and who were left out? I know that there are multiple RP ways to explain this, maybe she just knows or maybe the yellow flashes that appear on top of people's heads are constantly there. But as easily could be explained that the cleric can just softly ask her deity of her opinion of someone else and the eye would be the means of answering.  Also the bless test is a bit cumbersome to use in large parties. Usually there are multiple clerics in the party, all casting bless after everyone has rested. Usually at this point it is a wiser choise to use your spell slots to something else and when the party consists of twenty people, sometimes most of whom you do not even know properly, memorizing everyone who is not hit by bless is a bit cumbersome.  Finally there's also the matter of raising Allied people with no cost. I would imagine that the cleric would know this ahead of time also, but there's no way to tell trough a bless test who is allied and who is merely friendly.  The way I see it is that since the eye is going to be used at the dead person anyway, might as well add the useful information it offers. This would make things simple and give the cleric the ability to grasp the situation relatively quickly. As I said, we want out clerics to be responsible in their actions. I see no harm giving them a hand when making these important decisions.  So I'd rather turn the question the other way around. What reasons would we have no to implement this property to the Eye?

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
Well, take this "for instance"...granted, this probably doesn't happen often, but here it goes.
  The soul stone is an imprinted device, it's not a "status" device.  It reflects a snapshot of the bearer at the time it is activated.  Now, let's say for the sake of argument that the bearer changes deities or starts to follow a diety sometime after the stone is imprinted.  The stone's information is no longer valid.
  The Eye is a detector for an imprinted soul stone, but it does not read the contents of said soul stone.
  I personally think there are several RP ways to deal with these situations without some invasive device that reads people's hearts, minds and souls. But, I don't play a cleric.
  IF this is done, I would suggest that it ONLY shows the relative relationship between the cleric's deity and the deity of the fallen, and not the specific deity itself.  To me, unless a character professes that information, it falls into the "none of your business" category.  Oh, and that should only work on dead targets...no using the Eye on the living. 
  $0.02

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
I don't think that the Eye telling the relationship between the deity of the one who's raising and the deity of one who is being raised has anything to do with soul stones. True, the eye can be used to detect the presence of a soul stone but I can see no reason why it couldn't serve some other purpose at the same time.

If that is the problem then we can create a separate item from the Eye to serve this function. How the information is received is of no importance to me.

I agree that the Eye should not tell the deity of the person it's being used. I mentioned that it might be too much in the initial post. I made a mistake when I mentioned the deity being told, as that seems to have only clouded this conversation.

Finally let me say this clearly. The information is already out there. When you raise someone you'll know whether they were allied, friendly or hostile. I would merely wish to add a way for a cleric to get this information before raising someone in those few situations where there really hasn't been the chance to RP getting to know one another.

Or then we can go with the option where clerics simply refuse to raise those who they do not know.

And on it working only on dead people, sure. I wasn't really planning on running around pointing at random people with it anyway.

blonde

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
I totally agree with Rev on this idea. This would be a fairly easy addition to the eye (from a programming point of view), and i really think its just as IC'ish as much else, including the bless test, which require an OOC part that you must be in the same party as the one you "test".

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 06:53:00 pm »
I agree with Rev.  As a Cleric about to enter resurrecting range I think it would be a nice thing to have.  Mist doesn't have many friends, so it'd be nice to know who is who.  

Speaking of. . . what is the Eye of the Soul anyway?

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 03:28:00 am »
The Eye of the Soul is sold at temples, it's a device meant to detect wether someone has an imprinted soulstone on them or not.