The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Familiars/Animal Companions  (Read 85 times)

laurabunny

• View Profile
    Familiars/Animal Companions
    « on: December 03, 2006, 05:36:10 pm »
    Other people may have different views, of course, but it seems to me that the most useful familiar is the pixie, as it can open locks and disarm traps.  In my opinion, this makes it vastly more valuable than any of the other available familiars, and I can't imagine choosing anything OTHER than a pixie unless a) you have rogue levels, or b) you travel regularly with a rogue.  I sort of think that either familiars should be automatically selected based on alignment, or the playing field should be somehow leveled.

Another thought (yes, I've got room in my head for two at once... sort of...) is in regards to the supposed "shock" of seeing familiars or animal companions within city limits.  Now, this makes sense to me.  Perhaps not so much in Hlint... but still, I can understand that the sight of unusual magical creatures in town could result in some sort of mass panic.  This leads me to wonder... could there be more standard, domesticated animals available, such as cats or dogs... maybe a sheep... okay, maybe not a sheep... we'll stick with cats and dogs.  "Normal" animals like this wouldn't have to be unsummoned in town.

I have no idea if any of this is feasible.  Obviously.  Just thinkings.

Acacea

Re: Familiars/Animal Companions
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:22:15 pm »
    I hate the pixies. There. I said it.

Leanthar

Re: Familiars/Animal Companions
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:38:12 pm »
    "...could there be more standard, domesticated animals available, such as cats or dogs... maybe a sheep... okay, maybe not a sheep... we'll stick with cats and dogs. "Normal" animals like this wouldn't have to be unsummoned in town...."

I tried a system like this (two times as a matter of fact) and it never lasted because players just didn't like the 'normal' creatures. At first it was enjoyed (on both occasions) but eventually it died down to nothing so I ripped them out when coming in to V2.

anything