The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Helmet of Armor barkskin without bark  (Read 749 times)

blonde

Helmet of Armor barkskin without bark
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:49 am »
Just throwing this one out there to see what people think...

I think it would be cool if the helmet's barkskin effect didn't apply the visual barkskin (the natural armor effect isn't affected). That way all the pretty characters wouldnt have to be completely cowered in brown blandness all the time.
It should only affect the spell from the helmet of course - a true barkskin should still give the visual bark effect. There isn't much connection between the metal helmet (of armor) and the nature-theme of barkskin anyway imo.

It's not really a mechanical or balancing idea in any way, simply flavorising.

mixafix

Re: Helmet of Armor barkskin without bark
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:55:16 am »
great idea - likely stoneskin and greater stoneskin need the same treatment...as appearances have improved and lots of work has gone into costume design it seems a little flawed to have these spell effect completely negating the look.

Xaltotun

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:34 am »
I would agree with both posts and say that the visual effects definitely detract from all of the costume looks and effort that has gone into the making of them. It would be good to have the spells AND devices that give them, not apply the visual.

This would make it more difficult for the player to know if they have been 'stoneskinned', for instance, but they can find this out via the Character display if the screen doesn't show the icon, so it should not affect things adversely. On the upside, it would also mean that other characters would not know you have been 'skinned' either...which can only be good.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
I love this idea. I cast spells in a certain sequence just so some cover up the barkskin and stoneskin look. It's pretty boring to have the whole party look the same when we all spend SO much time (and Trues) modifying our outfits!

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »
I adventure without barkskin whenever I can help it.  For those of you that can/will cast death armor, its a nice solution.  One point of AC for a whole world of vanity ;)

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »
It would have to be a change to both the spell and the item, since all the item does is cast the spell.

If I could add a dissenting voice, however, it would also mean that you would be unaware that NPCs had barkskinned/stoneskinned as well.  En plus, I was of the impression that the spell caused a literal sheath of living/moving bark or stone to cover the character - which, vanity or not, would cover up fancy outfits.

blonde

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:16:46 am »
Quote from: darkstorme
It would have to be a change to both the spell and the item, since all the item does is cast the spell.

If I could add a dissenting voice, however, it would also mean that you would be unaware that NPCs had barkskinned/stoneskinned as well.  En plus, I was of the impression that the spell caused a literal sheath of living/moving bark or stone to cover the character - which, vanity or not, would cover up fancy outfits.

Not true. It is an easy edit of the spell script to account for it being cast from the helmet.

Just to clarify; my suggestion is solely for the barkskin from the helmet. Many people would be unhappy if they couldnt see their stoneskin be used up for example.
The helmet is a special case as that is an item everyone can/will get and use. Spells are for the few, and a barkskin spell should include a covering of bark imo. The helmet's effect could simply be defined as a lesser hardening of the skin to explain the difference from a real barkskin spell.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »
Quote from: blonde
Not true. It is an easy edit of the spell script to account for it being cast from the helmet.

This is true.  I was going to protest that it would require the modification of a base spellscript, but since we use material components, it's already been modified.

Xaltotun

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:37:32 pm »
What blonde writes about the effect being removed from the spell effect from the helmet only makes sense. I still feel it would be nice to not have the effect when I cast a barkskin spell as it messes up my lovely outfit. I understand however that not everyone would want this, so it would be unfair to change it just for a few.

And Gil,
I adventure without barkskin whenever I can help it.
My characters do as well, but when a barkskin can raise your AC by up to 6 points as a cast spell, it would be a little strange if you didn't cast it simply for the sake of vanity ;)

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:08:52 pm »
So let me get this straight ... you do not want the visual effect to show because of your vanity?  The only time you have it on is when you are in battle.  Is the battlefield really a place you try to pick up the opposite sex showing off your "clothing tastes?" ;)  You make it sound like you wear it 24/7 even when in a non-battle situation.  There are always plenty of opportunities for RP to show off your amazing tailoring skills!

When folks are handing out buffs and they can't see if you've been hit with either spell, they may hit you again and its wasted. :o

As Darkstorme said the spell causes a literal sheath of living/moving bark or stone.  Its a natural part of the process.

If it means that much to you, you can always do the alternative, take some additional feats or skills to give you the extra AC so you can continue to show off your "Tastes".   Just my two True  :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
Quote from: Jilseponie Wyndon
 Is the battlefield really a place you try to pick up the opposite sex showing off your "clothing tastes?" ;)

Yes. Absolutely yes.

Chazzler

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:14 am »
And with the disappearing buff icons nwn bug, I would not suggest removing the visuals from stoneskins, because stoneskins wear off sometimes in 1 single battle, and it really helps the buff-monkeys out to keep the group alive by seeing when the rocks have fallen off their allies' skin.
As well as themselves.