NWN Discussions and Suggestions > NWN Ideas, Suggestions, Requests

Ideas to keep interest up NWN Layo

(1/7) > >>

Guardian 452:
After the post last night about the servers in jeopardy due to financial reasons I posted a little in that thread about what I thought are the best ways to help get interest up... which hopefully would get donations up. I want to continue those ideas... and hopefully other peoples ideas here, rather than clutter up that thread. First off I am a firm beleiver that the NWN version of Layo only has one chnace at a future, and that is in its past. Plast players to be more specific. You are going to have a hard time pulling people away from all the bigger, faster, more shiney MMO and gaming options available. But if you can rekindle that old flame in the people who made this place what it once was you can keep it alive.How to do that? I don't know for sure (though I will share my own ideas) but I do know every singler person who quit playing did so for a reason(s). What were they? Are they things we can fix? Have already fixed. Will consider fixing? Ideas to consider making permanent changes. Double the Fortune rate or more for people casual playing... IMO quest reward Fortune is pretty good now. Those fortunate enough to get on the very few quests these days are really racking up Fortune! Those who get to play alone or in a group for a couple hours... well... the rate now is next to worthless IMO.Double the EXP rate (or more) especially for players say under 15... I know we already adjusted the rate of EXP for the low end... it needs it more. It is just to daunting to grind away alone or a group grinding over and over at the same handfull of areas untill you finally get that "DING!"Reduce the 3 million gap from level 20 to 21. Put it higher than the gaps above 21 and so on... but under 3 million... its just silly! It had its purpose when people were literally becoming level 40 in a couple months. But now... it's just an incermountable wall.Remove the SS system. This system is outdated and no longer needed in this version of Layo. It too had its purpose when players did not respect death. But now... instead it has caused players to leave. It has caused players to not want to play for fear of a crappy dice roll. I know the % odds were changed and that is a good thing!!! But even that doesnt save you from a crappy dice roll and poof there goes your character you've invested months, YEARS creating and falling madly in love with.Increase the amount of high end CNR (more places to find it)... Decrease the difficulty and TIME required to reach it...  like Mithril & Emeralds... who has 3 to 6 hours to go for it?  Not many.. and not near as many as once did, clearly! ( Or put in a call home feature for all players) Do all the above and let the players who left know about it.....Get some GM events going again (get some GM's first).Continue to "improve" this version with new areas, items, content. I beleve you would see servers populated most hours of the day... instead of now where they are empty or next to empty.  I welcome others to share what they think would draw players back again as well!. 

Aphel:
The question should not be what, how, or even who - it should be why?  Why should I invest my spare time here?

Nyralotep:
In my case I dont have the ability to play tabletop RP although I would love to do so.  That leaves online and from what I have seen there is a real dearth of real RP online.  Maybe I havent been looking in the right places but Layonara has filled that role for me in the past and is doing so again.  Yeah it's an ancient game engine but that can be obviated by having a rich world that you can actually have a change to make an impact.I've played a number of ARPG's but they all become grind fests at some point and eventually the only thing keeping you there is the people.  I've met some awesome people before when I was active and I've met more awesome people now that I'm back.  I like having a community where I can come and have my RP immersion from the comfort of my own home. I would like to see what G-452 has proposed be put into place.At least that's my $0.02.

Guardian 452:
Make these and or other significant changes... let new and especially OLD players know about it. If the place doesnt pick up in population, and in donations it is clear then that this version of layo is truly dead. What does anyone stand to loose in making such big changes at this point?  If not.. I am 100% in agreement with CBnicholson from the other thread.
--- Quote from: "cbnicholson"&cid="2752204" ---I say have a few send off x2 xp weekends and shut it down.  As someone who has been a long time donator, my opinion is that Layo is about done. Another round of donations is only going to delay the inevitable even if they amount to enough to keep it Layo running for the next few months.  I don't believe anyone has a particular onus against the team or the state of things ig, I just think many of us, myself included, have outgrown the world and possibly the system it runs on.   The changes like fortune have been nice, but from my perspective they haven't enticed me to play more nor do they seem to be having the desired effect on the vast majority of former/present players.    My 2 true. 
--- End quote ---

miltonyorkcastle:
One way to keep people interested and playing: consistent content updates/additions- say, a new set of areas/new static quest/new playable race/new playable class/etc. every 4-6 weeks. Of course, to have this, you need someone who is constantly working on the modules and working with GMs to combine quests with new, spicy areas. And guess what? We don't have someone that does that or can do that at this time. We keep trying to find someone that is willing and able, and everytime we think we've done that, something happens and the person (usually for very good reasons) has to rather suddenly step away.Another way is to have regularly scheduled quests every day, so people know they can hop in at the given time any week and find a quest in which to RP. Also, we (the GM team) are designing the next plot series in a manner such that each quest will be a stand-alone, meaning that even if you can't make every quest in the larger series, your character can start and finish one complete story via the quest. Imagine it like a TV series, where each episode has a beginning, middle, and end, and one episode can stand alone from the rest of the episodes in the season. That way if you can only make the one quest in a month, you don't feel like you're coming into a situation where you don't know what the heck is going on, and when it's over things don't just feel unfinished for you and your character.Another way is to make it very easy and free to distribute, install, and run the interface (NWN). Well, the download is a little long, though easy to find. It's not free, but it's cheap. And the install? Erg. Maybe it runs, maybe it doesn't. I know a few tricks to get it to run on almost any system, but not everyone does, and after the first hour of trying to run the dang thing, most people just give up. Maybe we should try a new interface? Oh, right, we've been trying to build one for quite some time. If only we had more capable volunteers and time in a day, we might be done.Okay, so clearly I don't stick around because of the interface (NWN) or the awesome new content to explore. Heck, I don't even really get to play in quests anymore. Why the duece am I even still around? Ah, right. Because I love to RP, I love stories (especially in sword and sorcery settings), and I am heavily invested in the Layonara world. I will keep creating stories for Layonara until I'm dead, I suspect. I run PnP Layo quests (in person! *gasp*), I run NWN Layo quests, and I am in the middle of writing modules and short stories and screenplays based in the Layo setting. If I could make a living just creating stories/content for Layo, I'd quit my current job in a heartbeat, and by the gods, y'all would see a serious amount of material start floating onto these forums. But I can't. So I keep working on stuff when I can.I'm not here to play a video game. Which is probably the biggest reason why I'm still here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version