The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ranged Weapon Adding a title  (Read 909 times)

Guardian 452

Ranged Weapon Adding a title
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »
Fighters and Weapon Masters can give your melee weapon a title now.

It is my understanding that no one can add a Title to your ranged weapon... Bow, Crossbow, Sling etc.

I would like to request that Rangers be given the ability to Title all ranged weapons.

Thanks

G-452

The following users thanked this post: Kenderfriend, Warchild214

EdTheKet

Re: Ranged Weapon Adding a title
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »
Actually, despite popular views, rangers are not specialized ranged weapon users they are often made out to be.

There is nothing in the ranger feat or skill list that actually pertains to ranged weapons.
LORE: ranger

In fact, with feats like Dual-Wield and Two Weapon Fighting it's more like them being non-ranged.

Guardian 452

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:31 pm »
Alrighty then Mr Picky :P  LOL  

Can SOME class in game be given the ability to Title ranged weapons?

G-452

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »
I'm not actually sure why ranged weapons were not set up to be titled by warrior classes to begin with, but I'm guessing it was either a coding issue, or a balance issue in that ranged weapons got a serious power boost at the same time titling was introduced for melee weapons.

I'm sure Orth or OneSt8 could bring some more clarity to the issue.

Also, you should check out [LORE]Item Enhancements[/LORE] and [LORE]Unlimited Ammunition Training[/LORE].

orth

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »
It was simply a matter of giving the melee classes some what of a cool RP bonus that went along with the "finishing" XP bonus.  If we were to let rangers title their bows, then why not rogues their daggers, bards their instruments, wizards their staffs, monks their gloves etc.  As already stated by Ed as well there's nothing that specifically attaches a ranger to the bow moreso then other classes, it's just the way they tend to be used.  It would actually make more sense that Arcane Archers would get this then Rangers.

GMs can and have retitled items for RP flavour of course, so if you're interested in setting up a reason for that with a GM perhaps they can help you.

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »
I think the initial request is lost on the debate of weather or not Rangers should be the ones allowed to name ranged weapons....

toss out "Rangers" please

Can / will naming Ranged weapons be added to the game period?

Having a GM do it is all fine and good w/ me. Didnt know that was an option.

Thanks

Hellblazer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:19:24 pm »
Yep, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner or I would have told you. But the bows of Tyillaan have been renamed by a gm.

Also even if a fighter/wm/paladin and what other class can rename that. The xp is not given unless you are from that class. So if the bow can be renamed but used by other classes, I don't see where the problem would be, as they wouldn't get the xp bonus?

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »
Being an Arcane Archer, and the bow the only weapon Jil does carry (besides a a skinning knife) it would be nice to be able to name bows.  She is quite proficient in the wood-crafting class as well.  Maybe a combination of class (AA) and a high level of woodcraft could be a requirement for such an ability?

MadHattan

It's been four years since
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:26:19 pm »

It's been four years since Jil's comment and I'd like to support her assertion that it would be extra nice if Archane Archers who are masters of the art of making bows could also name the bows they make.....   (unless we can now and I am unaware, again)   -SehKy

Rowana

Hello MadHattan,This actualy
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:22:23 pm »

Hello MadHattan,

This actualy was discussed elsewhere at great length, especialy when the ability was first introduced. See Orth's post above for the gist. We won't be adding this speciality for AAs  as it robs fighters of one of the few thing they have that really allows them to stand apart in this particular area (of special features). However! If you are in need of a weapon to be renamed, please feel free to contact the GMs as they can pen it for you.

Regards,

~row