The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Mail!  (Read 171 times)

Philosopher

Mail!
« on: April 17, 2006, 06:48:02 am »
I was thinking...the other day I was buying stuff from the Raven Company - and may I add what a fab pad you got there guys! And I told him I will be buying other stuff.
They own a house in Hlint. I just wanted to just like...well scribing a letter which you can do in game and make some form of mail box on the door, that will be there when you return.

Could be difficult due to server resets, but what do you think?

Leanthar

Re: Mail!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 06:57:50 am »
Hmm, that is a pretty neat idea. So a mailbox of sorts (like a box if you will) that players can store mail in. The concern I have for that is that players may store other things in there and we don't want that. Done right though I think this could happen and it sounds like a good way to send/store messages in game for those that are not around as much, orders, etc.

Dorganath

RE: Mail!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:13:50 am »
The housing doors already have a support for "notices", though I believe the system is not fully implemented. The option also only appears for the owner, I believe, which is fine really.

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 07:28:10 am »
@Dorganath, yep agreed. I totally forgot about that system part. Hopefully, during all of our other chores and projects we get some time to get this implemented and perhaps have it so that anybody with a key to the house can read/delete/save the message.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:17:02 pm »
I, for one, would find this feature so incredibly useful I can't begin to express it.

I imagine there are a great many other players who feel the same.

dekard

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:23:55 pm »
    if you did add a mail system like that, you could have PCs be mailmen as jobs.  it could be unreliable most likely for those PCs with a lesser sense of moral obligation, but you could put something on the mail case that the player can not open it.  and if they need to log off, there is an option to have it auto send, and not receive any pay on that job.  and more money for a quicker arrival and such.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:52:07 pm »
    Or just have the other player post the notice for you, and give him a few coins to speed him on his way. Totally IC, with no mechanical tomfoolery to deal with.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:05:47 pm »
    Theres a... oh I don't remember if its a CEP message board or something else from the vault.  

Anyone can come up and place/read messages.

We have the fourms, trade and market hall, yes, but its cool to have one IG.  It wouldn't need to be on someones door (as we have the lore letter system for private letters.)

when i'm IG, I'm 700 times more likely to go up and read the IC message board thats acctually a message board IG, than i am to log out and read trade and market hall (and yes, anyone playing on a mac in full screen would need to completely log out and quit nwn to view the forums as NWN hogs all keystrokes so you can't access any minimization or window handling OS stuff while IG.)

Leanthar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:10:52 am »
    We used to have those boards in game but they were rarely used and when they were used it was well...not very useful heh.  So they are no longer in the module.

crazedgoblin

RE: Mail!
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:55:53 pm »
    sounds groovey

Moley1000

• Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:00:20 pm »
    Would it be possible to have NPCs stationed in certain main towns who, for a fee allow you to purchase an item (perhaps a postage stamp, varying costs for different lengths of parchment) and the item can be used on a parchment and it would then send that parchment to a PC?
    I use the tell system, but with the parchment system in place, I just thought it would be cool to be able to send parchments to other people.  I think it would be good roleplay, it would also add more IC communication.  When I send a tell i tend to slip out of character, whereas when using parchment i stay in character.

(I say purchase an item from the NPC because I don't know much about the code in NWN, but I didn't think it was possible to choose/type a PC's name from an NPC dialogue.)

It's an idea.

Faldred

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:19 pm »
    Moley1000 - 5/4/2006  3:00 PM

Would it be possible to have NPCs stationed in certain main towns who, for a fee allow you to purchase an item (perhaps a postage stamp, varying costs for different lengths of parchment) and the item can be used on a parchment and it would then send that parchment to a PC?
    I use the tell system, but with the parchment system in place, I just thought it would be cool to be able to send parchments to other people.  I think it would be good roleplay, it would also add more IC communication.  When I send a tell i tend to slip out of character, whereas when using parchment i stay in character.

(I say purchase an item from the NPC because I don't know much about the code in NWN, but I didn't think it was possible to choose/type a PC's name from an NPC dialogue.)

It's an idea.

I think you can do that through LORE already.

Black Cat

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 01:04:11 pm »
    Faldred - 5/4/2006  9:08 PM

I think you can do that through LORE already.

Fine if you're playing in windowed mode on a PC. you can just go to your browser send your message and go back to the game, quick and easy.

We poor *smirks* mac owners must log off completly, quit NWN and then we can send mail through lore. Much more easy to send a tell, but not very RPwise, and then I have to throw 50gp in a trash bin?

A in game way to send mail, would be great.

SquareKnot

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 02:45:06 pm »
    We poor *smirks* mac owners must log off completly, quit NWN and then we can send mail through lore.

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but just to let you know. Mac owners can run in window mode or full screen mode. You just can't switch between the two while in-game. Under the [Screen Options] area in the nwn.ini file, check that you have these lines:

FullScreen=0
    AllowWindowedMode=1

Then you'll be in window mode. Just change the FullScreen to 1, and you'll be back to normal full screen.

Oh, I think it would be nice if you could send birds from in-game as well, but it's a tricky piece of code.

anything