The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Player tool to remove stuck player properties in the inventory  (Read 596 times)

Hellblazer

Player tool to remove stuck player properties in the inventory
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
As the title says, such a tool would be great to have.

The following users thanked this post: Nehetsrev

Xaltotun

Re: Player tool to remove stuck player properties in the invento
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:03 am »
It would be especially good if it could remove the PC Properties skin that gets stuck in my inventory from time to time. This item cannot be removed by a player so is a real pest when it doesn't get removed by the login script and it then stays in your inv for ages or until a gm can take it away.

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:14 am »
I get that in my inventory all the time.  I just learned to keep space available for it.  Dropped it once and was afraid it would mess up my character.    But I think it has something to do if you own a horse.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »
The PC Properties skin comes into play for three key situations:
  • Subraces
  • Some PrCs
  • Horse riding
For these reasons, I am hesitant to add a tool into player hands that can destroy this object.

The best way to prevent this object from showing in your inventory is to actually stand and do nothing until you see the "Your soul is bound at..." message when logging in.  By "nothing" I mean doing anything that can affect your character in some way, which can include switching armor or mounting a horse.  For this reason also it is recommended practice to not log out while on horseback, which also applies to switching servers.

To detail the issue:

The login process takes a short time to complete.  There are something like 17 major steps in the process, each with one to several sub-steps it takes.  These major steps are spread out over time to cut down on login lag and to make sure the scripts actually finish running and don't get timed out by NWN for taking too long.  During this process, at some point a PC Properties skin will show up in your inventory if there is a subrace involved (and in some cases a PrC), which will get applied to a hidden inventory slot once it is prepared.  Riding/mounting a horse also applies properties to your character, and if you mount that horse before/during the subrace initialization process, you can potentially end up with two of these skins in your inventory, and since only one can be equipped at a time, the extra sticks in your visible inventory. Changing armor can cause the subrace calculation process to fire as well, also potentially resulting in an extra skin if done during the login process.  As you've seen, once this extra skin is in the visible part of your inventory, it doesn't want to leave.

So be cause the PC Properties skin is actually a rather important part of the process, you can probably understand why I would be hesitant to add yet another way for players to further disrupt the process, potentially causing more problems than the "fix" was meant to address.

So that's my thought process at the moment.  As problems go, the presence of an extra object in inventory should be little more than an annoyance, unless one's inventory is perpetually full, of course, which is another issue entirely.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:30:26 pm »
The problem is that it's not only happening on login. It can also happen when you mount/dismount a horse. And I can totally understand your hesitation about this, what I'm talking about though, is for the one that get stucks on you even after a relogging. Example yesterday Dezza got rid to the pc properties thing that was stuck in my inventory first page for the last month, even though Fehriel skin traits were set correctly, I still had one pc properties in my inventory.

anything