The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: PRC Server based character creator  (Read 288 times)

stragen

PRC Server based character creator
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
True!

I like the PRC server conversation character creator though...! They have new base classes and races (whose benefits are base stats, not magical effects), but because haks aren't loaded first, you usually need a client-side local character creator...but they made a server-one, too. Which makes me happy. Sort of. It would, if I were using it anywhere. :P The idea makes me happy! There we go.

It works in that you basically click recommended for everything in the Bioware creation, set your appearance if you want, and then you create your character with an in-game conversation, instead, so that everything is still in the hands of the server.

There is a downside in that if you set everything up the first time, you still have to do it again in the conversation even if you were happy with the standard stuff, but that's why you're supposed to make sure no one puts all the effort into the wrong creation, hehe.

Having never seen or used the PRC I don't know the amount of work involved but... I think this would be great for Layonara.  I'm not saying that Layonara should have all the classes in the PRC, as there are far to many classes.  But including this server side character creator might add more value and flexibility to the world.

Acacea, Developers,

How difficult is the character creator for new players to use?

How hard is it to include the PRC into Layo?

How hard would it be to modify the character creator to limit it to Layo allowed classes and feats only?

Would it be possible to add Layo-Flavour backgrounds to the selection of feats at character creation?  Eg
  • Northern Tribesman from Krashin or Bastil +1 cold saving throws, +1 intimidate.  
  • Craftsman of Dorand +5% craft experince.

It appears that there are other benefits as well, such as having racial adjustments based on stats.  Maybe addiing an option to select from the Layonara deity list.  

Anyway something to think about for the future.

Cheers,

Stragen

The following users thanked this post: Stephen_Zuckerman, Witch Hunter

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: PRC Server based character creator
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:13:26 pm »
The Project/Player Resource Consortium thingamabob?

Wow.

No.

That is... I downloaded the PRC at one point, and it did nothing more than give me a huge headache and make me reinstall NWN and re-download all of my modules.

That said, however, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see an on-server character creation method. It would increase the joy of having subraced characters (whose bonuses and penalties wouldn't be considered magical changes) and, if I'm understanding this correctly (which I might not be) perhaps kill a lot of the quirks-that-aren't-quite-bugs involved with using an Empty Creature Skin to apply racial and class features.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:36:38 pm »
I'm not completely familiar with the PRC tool, however, let me state a few things:

From how it has been described it seems as though this kind of thing runs the risk of creating invalid characters, meaning our servers are configured to enforce legal characters, which are characters that do not have too many attribute points, feats, skill points and so forth. This is a very simple but also effective way of keeping hacked characters off our servers.

Things like subrace attribute bonuses being applied directly to a character rather than to the subrace skin as we do now would throw off the math that Bioware does to make sure things are not outside of where they should be.  The same goes for the feats that are added for subraces.

So the PRC character creator is most likely not the best or even a relatively decent option for Layonara.

That said, we have some mechanics in-place for last-minute, self-service character changes that can be done in-game by the player in the Eye of the Storm starting area. This will be available for thr first login of the character and will not be available again for the character ever.

However, things that one will be able to do is to change the character's head, hair and/or skin color, tattoos, deity and other things like setting dynamic appearances for special sub-races like half-giant and goblins.

It won't be able to add things like background feats, because again, there's not really a practical way to do that without making the character illegal.

When this does become available, we'll make an announcement, but this is a system that we have taken from the Vault and are adapting to our purposes.

So um...stay tuned! ;)

Witch Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:24 pm »
What about giving everyone -1- background option to choose from and add it in a skin-like item?

then everyone would gain some sort of benefit, yeah, but it could be towards how they made their character (it would add something and lower something else)

anything