The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 254 times)

jan

Reflections
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:13:59 am »
I have a question on reflections .

When you die , you get a certain amount off reflections you have to sit out ( in my case 45 i think )

When you log and wait 10 RL hours , one reflection remains to be waited out .

IF however you log in after lets say 9 hours RL , you must wait out the remaining reflections that you had when logging off .

Theoreticly this means that if you log in 1 minute early due to wrong remembering the time you logged of ,you're ^^^^^^ and need to sit it out if you cant reach your stone .

Is it possible to do anything about this ?

Jan A.K.A. Barion

The following users thanked this post: Stephen_Zuckerman

jan

Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:37 am »
*bump*

Really am interested if anything could be done about this .

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:28 am »
Well it's likely possible but the question is really whether or not I or one of the other scripters will have time to get it to work in a different way.

The primary problem here is that there are two different time scales that sort of have to work together.  There's the "online" time scale which is what passes while a character is in-game.  This is the 10 RL minutes per level thing (or 2 reflections per level), which if one were to wait it out, ends up being a lot shorter than 10 hours.  Then there's the "offline" time scale, the 10 hours of not being logged in, which is clearly longer than the in-game reflections time.

So the problem is getting those time scales to play nice with each other in the face of multiple potential logins/logouts, during which time will pass at different rates as it applies to reflections.

The system would need to be able to handle cases properly where a reflecting character is logged in for an hour, logs out for 5 hours, logs back in and crosses servers, stays logged in for 30 minutes, logs out again, etc.

So possible, yes.  It needs to be done though in a way that's reliable and accurate regardless of logins/logouts.

To be honest, the priorities and hopeful timeframe for the next update don't have a lot of room for a project like this.  We'll keep it in consideration, however, as there is a valid point to your comment.

jan

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:11:18 am »
Has/will anything been done about this IF the person ( s ) that are able to do so could find time ?

Or will this be something that might be changed when going over to the next world ?

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:59:56 am »
Nothing has been done as yet.  I can't say whether or not anything will be done for NWN because this is for the most part a low priority.

As for the new game, what happens on death, or more accurately on respawn, hasn't been fully defined, and will likely change a few times in play testing and balancing activities.