The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: RP Idea  (Read 377 times)

Link092

RP Idea
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »
Two things, one more feasible than the other.

A) Just for a bit of flavor, I'd like to see (temporary) tents, much like the camp fires. Something you could unpack and pack away... I just think it would be neat to see several tents set up on a stop on a traveling expedition. They would set up safe sleeping areas maybe, and they "tear" after so many uses (so a cheap one would have 1 use, and look... gaudy. a more expensive one would look better, and more importantly, last longer, maybe even have a larger "safe" range).

B) It would be rather nice to see a "black" market merchant for  those "shady" types. They might have random items that are of good use for relative prices. To find them, you could require a PC to have a "Merchant" note on them to even see the said merchant in the crowds, or have him move randomly week by week, Layo time.

Just thought they would be interesting... and another would be henchmen (based on your CHA Score, and includes the ox). I would love to see a variety of people (Journeymen, mercenaries, priests, thieves, woodsmen, etc). Their level would be based on the PC, maybe a -4 to the PC's level, and they can only be recruited at/after lvl 10. One problem is the overpowering of a party of henchmen, so possibly limit their lvl to a max of 12?

just some thoughts.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer

Hellblazer

Re: RP Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »
Quote from: Link092
Two things, one more feasible than the other.

A) Just for a bit of flavor, I'd like to see (temporary) tents, much like the camp fires. Something you could unpack and pack away... I just think it would be neat to see several tents set up on a stop on a traveling expedition. They would set up safe sleeping areas maybe, and they "tear" after so many uses (so a cheap one would have 1 use, and look... gaudy. a more expensive one would look better, and more importantly, last longer, maybe even have a larger "safe" range).

I have always wanted to see that, i saw it on an other server, but here it would be fun. Tent big enough to enter at least one or two in it.

B) It would be rather nice to see a "black" market merchant for those "shady" types. They might have random items that are of good use for relative prices. To find them, you could require a PC to have a "Merchant" note on them to even see the said merchant in the crowds, or have him move randomly week by week, Layo time.

There is already at least one of those store that I know of, but it is in a very tough area and you have to have a spot or search (don't remember which one) through the roof to find it. 50+ I think.

Although i would really like to see more of these black market store instored in other towns.

Vehl comes to mind, Lan's port maybe, katherian, lor too, there is already that feel with the message and purse snatching.

Just thought they would be interesting... and another would be henchmen (based on your CHA Score, and includes the ox). I would love to see a variety of people (Journeymen, mercenaries, priests, thieves, woodsmen, etc). Their level would be based on the PC, maybe a -4 to the PC's level, and they can only be recruited at/after lvl 10. One problem is the overpowering of a party of henchmen, so possibly limit their lvl to a max of 12?

just some thoughts.

that one though, would be great for starting char. But then it would promote too much the soloing of areas, vs traveling with others pc's. And then if you are traveling with other pc's it's the same as having summons they drain the xp.

Good ideas all around though.

Ravemore

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:33:24 pm »
I like the first two ideas a lot. I tend to agree with Hellblazer on the last though. Something that could mitigate it would be henchman of a max lvl of 2 or 3. It could help out a newbie character enough to keep them from becoming overfamiliar with the bindstones, yet not really be worth a mid level character or higher picking them up.

All three would add some more RP feel and atmosphere...

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
In answer to the first point, this has come up before.

My view on it is much like Milt's in that last post.  I like the idea of having pup tents to set up, just to make camping that much more... camping-like.  I am not so fond of the idea of the tents being safe rest areas.  I can see too many ways in which this could be abused.  The safe rest areas are placed where they are for balance reasons; having portable rest areas would effectively be the same as having nearly everywhere be a safe rest region.

As for henchmen... we try to encourage team-play in Layonara.  Henchpeople don't exactly facilitate that dynamic.  It may be worth considering - but also worth considering is telling your friends about this fun game you play!  (Hey, it worked for me!)

Finally, as for the black market... look around.  *inscrutable GM grin*

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:26:29 pm »
I think an easy remedy to the tent thing to to add a tent to the Camp fire script.  when you make a fire, you prop of a tent, and when the 15 minutes go by, the tent poofs, and has the same sorta script for keeping you warm attached, maybe extending the range a bit,, like for when there are more PCs then room around the fire.  Or maybe just having the tent A function of the fire.  You click on the fire, and it says put up tent, and then a tent is put up at a reasonable distance and angle from either the fire, or the person putting it up, then each PC could put up one tent, which poofs when the 15 pass, like the fire (if you don't destroy it)

Link092

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:48:58 pm »
well either way, at least I'm satisfied that I can make my PC look like he's turning the spit. :D

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:21:31 am »
There won't be any portable safe rest areas in any shape or form for the general player base....sorry. Only one such thing exists, and it's part of a WLDQ reward.

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:14:01 am »
Well maybe not a safe rest, but just a tent that coudl be purchase that would be simply for RP purposes?

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:39:15 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
There won't be any portable safe rest areas in any shape or form for the general player base....sorry. Only one such thing exists, and it's part of a WLDQ reward.

If you look back at my idea, I never said anything about a safe rest area being the purpose of the tent, simply something tied to the camp fire, and if anything at all was scripted to the tent was the "warming up" feature when near the cold.

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
If you look back at the original idea, it included the suggestion of safe ranges, which the response specifically addressed. ;)