The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Shopkeeping for PC's  (Read 263 times)

Polak76

Shopkeeping for PC's
« on: November 01, 2005, 10:08:00 pm »
Greetings all,

I've been considering an idea to improve a store I've been wanting to develop called 'Arm of the Ram'.
Since our group who look after it have extremely busy schedules due to work, family and other commitments, its hard to meet everyones orders or expectations of a well organised store.

So to combat this I was wondering if it would be possible to build a shop based on a trust system.  That is purchase a room in a town and convert it into a store - basically chests everywhere, organised full of the items you wish to sell.  You then have a NPC who runs the store like the Vault Steward.  When you speak to him he'll give a basic introduction, a description of where everything is and a price list if you ask it.  Once a PC grabs the item they want, they'll then speak with him and give him the gold similar to the Vault Keeper.  No one can access the gold once given accept the owners of the store who have a unique link the the shop keeper.

Now as I mentioned it will solely be based on trust.  Nothing could stop someone coming in and taking everything without paying, however, I believe people on Layo genuinely would follow this system as it makes for better Roleplay.  After all its always more pleasureablt earning your share then cheating.

I could write up conversation scripts..etc.  I think this idea has merrit.  What do you all think?

Cheers,
Polak76

trillex

• Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
RE: Shopkeeping for PC's
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:23:00 am »
Maybe there could even be some sort of script when you open the door to go out, that will check if you got that and that item that's marked as a "chest item". Then the shop keep would initiate dialogue with you and lock the door till paid or the item put back.

It's a good idea. I like.

blonde

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 05:24:00 am »
This system is basically an npc vendor, just with less security, and need for more scripting/work. My guess is that there is a better chance of having the vendors reinstated than this happening.

On the same note, I dont really like the prospect of either, as it completely takes the customer-crafter interaction out of the game. But that is not up to me.

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 06:24:00 am »
How about hireing one or more PC shopkeepers? That only meet with the coustomers to make the final exchange "Goods for Gold/Raw Materials".

PS. Garnet Stonesmythhy might be intrested and he might not want gold for the job, mabie store credit?

Polak76

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
I do agree with Blonde, that the interaction makes for great RP.  But in this circumstance my time online has been significantly reduced and I'd rather have happy customers than irate ones waiting for a small window of opportunity per week where they'll find me.

I'll consider the option of hiring a shopkeeper.  Thanks for you PM Zen, I'll consider it mate.

Cheers,
Polak76

ShrubberyJSC

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
    Personnally, I think it would add to the RP, even if the PC's aren't there.

As I have already noticed, Players can add little touches to their houses that make it feel much more like reality, and even if a NPC were to handle the transaction, the overall feeling could very well be of a great RPing experience. Walking through a Player-designed store and choosing from the racks what you will sounds very enticing to me.

Wouldn't it also speed the economy along to be able to buy things even when the shop owners aren't actually playing?

anything