The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spell Blade  (Read 2526 times)

drakogear

Re: Spell Blade
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
The thing you don't seem to realize is that taking this Prestige Class as you present it, gives the character something (full BAB, more skills) for nothing (as Martial Weapon Proficiency is neatly offset by Combat Casting and Skill Focus: Concentration, to say nothing of the fact that MWP is worth getting ANYWAY).

I've added more feats to the requirements and with that even the wiz would have to forgo some more magical feats to get to Spell Blade just like they would have to for Spell sword... that is if they didn't (in my own opinion) cheat there way by dipping into fighter.

Funny... took them years to learn to be a mage yet only a few days to learn how to be an armor clad warrior.

Additionally, skill points have been lowered from 4 to 2 as previously stated so in order to effectively raise the new skills they would have to for go some of there others... even wizards until they get there base int high enough.

With the added feat requirements you'd have to be either a level 10 human or 12 other (human gain one additional feat at 1st) that is if they focused on getting all that is required for the class as early as possible... of which they pretty much would have to if they wanted the full BAB for about 8-10 level. from 20 on the BAB is second. Additionally a Wiz leveling in anything but Wiz loses there 5 level meta-magic bonus feat. Can still get meta-magic feats but not as bonus feats.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 08:50:53 pm »
You'll notice I edited my post - which took longer than I intended, thanks to a phone call - and didn't see your post until I submitted it.

With the current requirements and skill points, it's not unreasonable. Skill Focus and Combat Casting are the only real feat taxes to enter, but entry requirements are much more challenging, now. I don't see why you're requiring level 4 spells, though.

3 Fighter/5 Wizard has 3rd spells, all the feats (plus three or four more), and all the skills (plus two or three more). If you require 4th level spells, you prevent a multiclassed character from having more than 5 levels pre-epic. Is this as intended?

Edit, starting 9:03EST:

I still have trouble seeing how this isn't awesome near-free stuff for a pure wizard, though. Skill Focus and Combat Casting hurt to spend (because neither is a very good choice in NWN, unless you're Casting Defensively all the time... In which case they DON'T hurt to spend), but Dodge and Mobility aren't bad at all. MWP is great. A combat-focused Wizard would have no problem paying all of that for a Full BAB (and therefore another attack per round and +5 BAB by level 20).

Another thing to consider is that you're designing a PrC basically JUST for wizards. We've got a couple of those already. Do we really need more?

drakogear

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »
You'll notice I edited my post - which took longer than I intended, thanks to a phone call - and didn't see your post until I submitted it.

With the current requirements and skill points, it's not unreasonable. Skill Focus and Combat Casting are the only real feat taxes to enter, but entry requirements are much more challenging, now. I don't see why you're requiring level 4 spells, though.

3 Fighter/5 Wizard has 3rd spells, all the feats (plus three or four more), and all the skills (plus two or three more). If you require 4th level spells, you prevent a multiclassed character from having more than 5 levels pre-epic. Is this as intended?

Wait... first requirements were to low... now there to high? :\\ Make up your mind people! >:/ Heh, I'm just kidding :D :p

Well... if you think SL 4 is to high then I could lower it to 3 I guess.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »
More inconsistent than anything. See my note above.

drakogear

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »
I still have trouble seeing how this isn't awesome near-free stuff for a pure wizard, though. Skill Focus and Combat Casting hurt to spend (because neither is a very good choice in NWN, unless you're Casting Defensively all the time... In which case they DON'T hurt to spend), but Dodge and Mobility aren't bad at all. MWP is great. A combat-focused Wizard would have no problem paying all of that for a Full BAB (and therefore another attack per round and +5 BAB by level 20).

Another thing to consider is that you're designing a PrC basically JUST for wizards. We've got a couple of those already. Do we really need more?

Combat casting and skill focus were the 1st level bonus feats in NWN2 EK. The intended purpose as I saw it was that they would be in defensive casting mode every time they were in battle as it prevents attacks of opportunity when casting at melee range though a concentration check is rolled every time they cast.

This class is not specifically designed for wizards... that's just been the base class we've been debating. Sorcerers and bards can be it to as they can be any arcane casting PRC (Pale Master, Spell Sword, Arcane Archer)