The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Town Criers & World Leaders Idea  (Read 448 times)

Nehetsrev

Town Criers & World Leaders Idea
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:44:40 am »
After reading a recent thread that was attempting to incite WL's to more activity in the world, I had an idea.  Yes, dangerous, I know!  But here it is...

Since we already know that LORE can display the the location a PC was most recently active in, why not add a function to Town Criers that automaticly spits out a string of text something like,

"The world-renowned -insert WL character name here- was last seen in the area of -insert area name here-.  -Insert short update of current political situations in the afore-named area here (which could be kept in a seperate DM alterable database perhaps)-.  What -insert WL character name here- was doing there remains a topic of dispute and mystery."

Obviously the magenta colored bit might be too much to add and upkeep, but it would add some flavour and help keep other PC's informed of political developments that they reasonably should be aware of and give them ideas of what they might be able to get involved with themselves, through quests or PMing DM's, or WL's, etc.

If such a function were added to Town Criers, there might also be a function added to the WL tools/widgets that allows them to set how detailed the reporting of their position would be, such as setting it to report everywhere they go, only the cities they visit, or to be turned off entirely to go incognito when they have reason to for their own quests/activities.

Further, I'm sure we wouldn't want real-time reporting of where WL's are, but perhaps the database the Town Criers draw their messages from could be updated once a RL day, just as LORE itself (normally) updates once a day.

If, as I've heard discussed, the DM's are being given authority over seperate regions of the world, it would be their responsibility to keep the entries for the text that would appear in the magenta colored bit up to date.  Editing the entries as events occured, or situations in the region change.

Maybe such a system can't be done though.  I'm still not as knowledgeable about what can be accomplished with NWscript and the Aurora Toolset, and other tools for modding NWN as I'd like to be.  Or maybe it would be simply too much trouble to implement and upkeep from the Team's point of view.  In any case, it's an idea I had, and I think it would benefit the world and enhance some systems already in play if it can be and is later implemented.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer, Lance Stargazer, RollinsCat

Dorganath

Re: Town Criers & World Leaders Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:12 pm »
This can be done right now using the forums.  It's not "real-time" but it accomplishes the same sort of effect without the need to construct an automated and potentially invasive system.

It is, clearly, a matter of participation, of course.

anything