The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: V3 Spell Suggestion : Divination : Comprehend Languages  (Read 206 times)

SquareKnot

V3 Spell Suggestion : Divination : Comprehend Languages
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:18:52 am »
Comprehend Languages would be cool. Some would argue that it makes a simple spell equal to weeks of work to earn a language ear, but I think it could be limited such that it would be acceptable. For starters, the caster can't speak the language, only understand it.

However, I understand that the language system is driven through listener code that's outside NWN, is hard to write, harder to debug, and seems to flake out for no reason from time to time. As such, it might be too much effort for too little payback.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: V3 Spell Suggestion : Divination : Comprehend Languages
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 01:44:41 pm »
I like the idea of a Comprehend Languages spell.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:06 pm »
I still think that this subject needs to be approached from the right perspective and was commenting, except then I found the quote for what I was basically going to say already.  
Dorganath - 6/28/2006  6:47 AM    And to put things in perspective there is a device currently in-game that will give partial understanding to languages. It does not, however, give the ability to speak them.  And furthermore, the partial understanding for mortal languages only (elvish, dwarvish, drow, etc.) doesn't even start until the possessor is level 28. Planar and other special languages come at higher levels, but again, the understanding is only partial.

SquareKnot

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:23:57 pm »

And to put things in perspective...

I remembered this discussion vaguely, but couldn't remember the specifics. In this perspective, Comprehend Languages really wouldn't fit into Layonara.

It does make me wonder what that item is, though...

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 03:33:30 pm »
SquareKnot - 12/1/2006  5:23 PM  

And to put things in perspective...
   I remembered this discussion vaguely, but couldn't remember the specifics. In this perspective, Comprehend Languages really wouldn't fit into Layonara.  It does make me wonder what that item is, though...
 The item in question is an ECDQ reward that was designed to "grow" with the holder, thus the progression of language understanding. There is and will probably be only one character who will ever have one of these at a time, as it is truly a unique item in every sense of the word.
  So yeah...keep wondering! :)

Blackguy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:56:48 pm »
If you read the forums, you can find a hint to who that person is. All I can say, its outthere among the thousands of posts. *grins*

anything